Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is your cat's worst habit?

Question What is your cat's worst habit?

Hi there. I got to thinking today and was wondering, what is your cat's worst habit that you wish could stop and would do anything to make him/her stop but can't find a solution to the problem?

I have two cats that are mother and daughter and neither of them have very good toilet habits especially the daughter who is 13 years old. She lives outside and does her "business" anywhere without digging a hole or attempting to cover it at all which means we have cat faeces on our lawn and garden and sometimes just on the path to our front door. It's so revolting and I really don't know what to do about it or the cause of it.......any suggestions? I think she probably does the same in our neighbours which is embarrassing but unfortunately I can't keep her inside because my husband and son are both quite allergic to cats!

Quote Originally Posted by WitcheyPop View Post
    I have two cats that are mother and daughter and neither of them have very good toilet habits especially the daughter who is 13 years old. She lives outside and does her "business" anywhere without digging a hole or attempting to cover it at all which means we have cat faeces on our lawn and garden and sometimes just on the path to our front door. It's so revolting and I really don't know what to do about it or the cause of it.......any suggestions? I think she probably does the same in our neighbours which is embarrassing but unfortunately I can't keep her inside because my husband and son are both quite allergic to cats!
    My cat won't go outside at all, he waits until I let him in and uses the litter box. He only stays out for short amounts of time, so it hasn't been a problem.

You can start by cleaning up each stool, and spraying the area with lemon juice/water mix. On cement, you'd have to scrub it clean first. Cats generally don't like cirtus scents. You can do that with each stool, even if it's on dirt or grass.

You can leave one in an area that you want the cats to go. In all other undesired areas, you can cut up very small pieces of orange, lemon and grapefruit rinds, and sprinkle them over walkways, and other off-limit areas.

Guess your neighbors will have to fend for themselves. Be careful though, because people have been known to poison or trap and kill cats that repeatedly soil their lawns and gardens. Also, are they spayed? That behavior with urination is very common for female and male cats who are left intact. Their hormones make them want to leave their scents of urine for mating purposes. If they're not fixed, I'd recommend a trip to the vet.

Kuma has a few interesting habits I haven't been able to change.... She has decided that she can ONLY drink water in my bathtub. I have a chair in there so I now keep a bowl of water on it. When I shower I sit her dish outside the tub. She comes in and starts yelling at me to get out of the shower...I do mean yelling too! If that doesn't work she comes inside the shower and yells. She doesn't care if the water is running. I have gone as far as to spray water on her feet (I have a hand held sprayer). Thankfully I never toilet trained her. I can imagine her coming in and telling me to move so she can use it.

She has a habit of eating paper. She also has a habit of covering her food with my luffa, shirts, jeans, or anything that she can get her paws on... Silly cat.

The covering food thing is a natural behavior. She's "burying" it for later.

Alot of cats chew paper, and it can be a problem when they eat things of value. Have you considered offering her a cardboard box?

I haven't tried cardboard, but that's a great idea. She also LOVES chewing anything plastic, luckily she isn't interested by wires. Oh, and toilet paper rolls.

Box chewing even cleans their front teeth somewhat. Kuma used to eat photos, my being a photographer saw that as a problem. After discovering boxes she lost interest in photos. You'll find they prefer certain types of cardboard. All my cats are given boxes. Be sure to replace them as needed.

Don't let your cat chew on plastic. Unlike cardboard it isn't digestible... It can produce some huge vet bills, cause blockages and kill a cat.

My cat likes to take his toys and bury them, either under a throw rug, in a small trash can, etc. He also likes to climb into any drawer that you open, or go into any closet. He sometimes goes up on the table, stove or counter in the kitchen and tries to get a piece of what I'm preparing, especially if it's meat.

Lately, he's been interested in my glass of seltzer water (sure it's the bubbles), and he will start to put his paw in the glass, sprinkles water all over...but doesn't seem to do it with other beverages. I figure everything he's doing is very normal and catlike. He's such a good boy otherwise, I never get angry, and many times am amused by his antics.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    He also likes to climb into any drawer that you open, or go into any closet.
    That's awesome! Kiki does that too. She actually opens the drawers. Sometimes she opens the drawer, gets in, then closes to take a nap. She opens cabinets and even DOORS too.

One time she climbed into a closed drawer. My husband thought she had crawled into the a/c vent and was about to cut through the vent. He then heard suckling noises, she likes "sucking her thumb" , coming from our chest drawer... luckily he found her before he cut through the vent!

Quote Originally Posted by ILovePets View Post
    One time she climbed into a closed drawer. My husband thought she had crawled into the a/c vent and was about to cut through the vent. He then heard suckling noises, she likes "sucking her thumb" , coming from our chest drawer... luckily he found her before he cut through the vent!
    Great story! I always worry about the vents!!

My cat's worst habit is the excessive clawing! My cat has a lot of adrenaline and loves to scratch and paw on chairs, sofa, my bed! She even tends to pounce on my head when my back is turned.

Digging! I swear she does not realise she is a cat. she digs holes around the garden that she then falls inlove with and rolls in constantly. she also digs under the fence (she does not realise she can just jump over it). Try to keep her in the yard is hard. I have to fill in a hole whenever she starts to dig one. Many bricks, wire and barracades to keep her in. does anyone elses cats do this?

Quote Originally Posted by clunk6669 View Post
    Digging! I swear she does not realise she is a cat. she digs holes around the garden that she then falls inlove with and rolls in constantly. she also digs under the fence (she does not realise she can just jump over it). Try to keep her in the yard is hard. I have to fill in a hole whenever she starts to dig one. Many bricks, wire and barracades to keep her in. does anyone elses cats do this?
    No, only noticed my cat digging in the litter box to cover his business. When he's outside, I haven't noticed him digging like that...and he is dog-like in other respects, being a Manx.

My cats are very stuck on their morning food routine. Every morning at six they have their wet food put out for them to eat. This is fine on week days, but come the weekend and we have some time to sleep in they just will not allow it. They run over our bed like horses, attacks the mirror and even stick their paws in your ears, until one of us wakes up to give them their treat. The worst part is their kibble bowl are always full and available. But attack they attack. No rest for the tired in my house, food are priority no. 1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.