Results 1 to 14 of 14

My dogs got into a bag of chocolate - Worried

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    21

    My dogs got into a bag of chocolate - Worried

    Apparently my dogs had a party while I was at work today. They somehow got out of their containment area and got into all of the trash bags and some food. They got into a bag of Reese's Pieces... I was a new bag, I have only been able to find 2 unopened Reese's pieces. I don't know how long ago they are them... they look fine... but I am worried... Should I rush them to the vet?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,028
    How big was the bag, and how big are the dogs. It seems that in some cases, the owner can treat the problem at home. First, they suggest using Syrup of Ipecac to induce vomiting, that should be able to be bought at a local drug store. That needs to be followed by giving the dogs Activated Charcoal, which can be found at a health food/vitamin store...that absorbs the left over toxins in the system.

    If Reese's Pieces are the tiny version of Reese's peanut butter cups, then I think that's better...because it's milk chocolate, and the center is peanut butter, not solid chocolate. Read this 2 page article, and judge for yourself on how severe it is, and if you want to treat it yourself or see the vet...http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/dog...-get-the-facts

    My neighbor had a Basset Hound that ate a bag of chocolates, they took it to the vet, and I think it was given something, but not sure what. The dog just laid there for a few day with severe gas, stomach upset and diarrhea...but it was okay after that, good luck!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanual Kant~



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    21
    Thanks Alpha. It was a small bag, maybe 12 pieces or so of the peanut butter cups. My dogs are 13 lbs and 17 lbs. I called the vet. Vet's office said that they should be fine, they told me to keep an eye out for vomit and/or diarrhea. Being that it was a small bag of peanut butter cups eaten between both my the dogs, I am more at ease now. The worry won't go away though until tomorrow evening.

    By the way, great article.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,028
    Thanks for the update, nice you could talk to your vet over the phone. Hope they do okay.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanual Kant~



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    21
    Thanks Alpha,

    My vet closes rather early, but my backup is a 24/7 vet hospital a few minutes from my house. It's always good to have a backup especially w/ three furballs.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,028
    I heard that, anything can happen!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanual Kant~



  7. #7
    Ah glad you got to talk to your vet! Its always best to check I guess.
    To be honest I have had a few cases where my dogs have eaten chocolate. Once my friend bought her little boy round and he sat trying to feed them chocolate buttons! I was like ahhhh Noooo. They only had one or two so I wasn't to worried because Milo is quite big and I new that little piece wouldn't hurt him.
    I would worry if I hadn't seen the eat it and if i wasn't sure how much they had consumed though.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Wales, UK
    Posts
    850
    Once when I was growing up our little terrier dog jumped up onto the coffee table and grabbed half a large bar of cadbury's chocolate. The only person home at the time was my Mum who's disabled, so it took her a few minutes to get off the sofa and over to the dog to take the chocolate off her. She'd never done anything like that before - she was the type of dog that you could leave your dinner in front of and walk out of the room and she wouldn't touch it, so she must have been feeling particularly naughty that day!

    By the time Mum had got to her, there was only about three squares of chocolate and a small piece of foil wrapping left. Mum phoned the vet in a panic, who told her to expect some diarrhea and bring her in if she started vomiting or acting differently. She had no poorly tum and it didn't seem to effect her in any way. She lived a happil and healthy for a further 14 years (and she never stole any food from us again!).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    21
    Great story Goldfinch. Thanks for sharing.

    My dogs escaped their area again. I am not sure how they are bumping the baby gate off. They got into the replacement bag of Reese's that I bought due to last week's incident. Lol. Silly dogs.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,028
    I hope you're just kidding ILovePets.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanual Kant~



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    21
    I am serious. I don't know how they did it, but it's twice now... I don't want to put them in the kennel, but I may just have to start doing that while I am at work. I would leave them in the yard, but the fence is not the best and I am afraid that they will dig out. Looking forward to moving to a better rental sometime next month.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,028
    You really need to keep anything that may be harmful to them in a high cabinet, refrigerator, sealed tupperware, etc.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanual Kant~



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South Wales, UK
    Posts
    850
    Please don't put them in a kennel or in the yard As Alpha said, you should really be keeping chocolate and anything else that's harmful to them somewhere they can't get to it. All food in our house, especially chocolate are kept on the top shelf of the high up cupboards.

    Have they got enough entertainment in their doggy area? Like chew toys, kong toys - maybe a rawhide? And are they getting enough exercise?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    1,642
    Good thing most chocolates have more milk content than chocolate. Reese have more Peanut Butter content than Chocolate.

    Anyway, to elaborate on the topic. Chocolate contains theobromine.

    Theobromine causes stimulation of the brain, heart and respiratory system.

    For a 22 lbs (10kg) dog, two and a half large bars of milk chocolate (or 3/4 of a small bar of plain chocolate; 9oz or 250 g of cocoa powder; 4 tbsp of cocoa shell garden mulch) could prove fatal.

    Symptoms to expect are vomiting, excessive thirst, excitability, salivation and unsteady feet.
    I love my dogs to the power of infinity and my dogs love me.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Worried about my budgie, video included
    By MonsieuRoberts in forum Birds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-15-2012, 06:01 PM
  2. Another Problem... Tyson is worried about a pug!
    By Rottiwild in forum Dog Training and Behavior
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2012, 08:02 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Mom Forum - Senior Forums - Health Forum - Low Carb Forum