Dogs in Mourning

Dogs in Mourning

We lost our oldest Rottweiler (9 yrs), Roscoe, two days before Christmas. He was diagnosed with bone cancer the prior October. We made his last couple of months as comfortable & happy as possible, but we quickly found that we had to let him go. Our problem over the last three months has been with our young female, Sasha (3 yrs). Her habits have changed and she seems "depressed." She isn't alone...we still have another male (7 yrs), Brody, to keep her company. Brody, on the other hand, is better than ever. He seems to relish being the only male in the yard, now. Does anyone have any experience dealing with grieving pets? I wish I knew what to do for our girl.

My deepest sympathy for your loss, it's very sad for all involved. I used to have a male Standard Schnauzer and a female SS, they were good friends and loved each other very much.

My female, who was younger, also had cancer spread throughout her body, and would no longer eat or drink. We had to put her down.

It was a very emotional time for me and my husband, but also for our surviving boy. It broke our heart to see him go out into the backyard and lie in a spot where she would often go. He never went there before, but he would just stare out past the wire fence into the wilderness, as if he was either seeing her, or awaiting her return.

We had the same situation now, we lost our girl dog last summer, and our male, who was also from the same parents, misses her greatly. Lying near her spot in our bedroom, where he really didn't go before.

They definitely mourn their losses, just as we do. They need time to heal, like us. All we can do for them is show that we understand, and give them extra love at that sensitive time. We now have a kitten in the house, so that helps to keep his mind more occupied.

Wishing you the best.

Thank you, Alpha1. It doesn't get any easier, does it. We've made a point to give Sasha a lot of extra attention, play time & exercise. But, we still worry about her missing Roscoe. She followed him around like he was a God! Roscoe was about 5 y/o when we brought her home at 8 weeks old. He couldn't stand her, at first. She was a bundle of energy with a mouth full of sharp baby teeth. She mimicked everything he did -- including his bad habits. But the thing I miss most is their howling together. Roscoe was a howler and Sasha would copy him (nothing cuter than a puppy howling). Sometimes she would start up, just so that they could "sing" a duet (no sirens at all). She would get right up in his face and go for it. Now, the sirens go and the neighbor dogs howl, but Sasha hasn't made a peep in three months.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Pia View Post
    Thank you, Alpha1. It doesn't get any easier, does it.
    It's very sad, but just like with people, it does get a bit easier over time, but the feeling of loss never completely goes away.

My dog Betelgeuse was in mourning for at least a week when we had to return our other dogs to the ASPCA. He would howl at the moon all night until it was daytime again. I felt so bad for him. He is doing better, but when we made a move from our old home he was crying for three days and lost his voice.
    He is very uncomfortable with the move, I think because the smell of his old friends is still at our old house so he misses them.

Poor Beetle He sure is a good boy.

Oh, poor, Betelgeuse! He sounds so sad. I hope he perks up, soon. I wish they could speak to us, so we could be more helpful.

Roscoe (R) & Sasha (L) Swimming

Swimmers.jpgRoscoe (R) and Sasha (L)

Large dogs are often prone to arthritis and we found that swimming really helped Roscoe with his mobility in the last year of his life. He had arthritis in his hips and when the bone cancer attacked one of his forelegs, we thought that it was over for him. Between the exercise and the pain meds, we were able to keep him happy and comfortable for two months. I know it doesn't sound like very long (and it wasn't), but we were grateful for every minute.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.