Why doesn't my cat stay in my lap anymore?

Why doesn't my cat stay in my lap anymore?

My cat used to always curl up in my lap when I would settle into a certain chair with a book in hand. Ever since I came back from my latest adventure, he just never stays. I loved it when he would curl up and fall asleep purring in my lap - that's one of the greatest things about cats, in my opinion. I miss those times, and wonder if there's something that I'm just not doing, or something that isn't quite right for my cat. Is there some way I can encourage him to stay? Often it's been a matter of "ignoring" him while he settles in, but this isn't working anymore.

I don't know why, but they say not to force it. I think if you just ignore it and stay relaxed, he'll come around. Good luck.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanual Kant~

I had a sweet moment with my cat today, where it almost seemed like he might settle in. He came and stood on my lap for a moment when I was petting him --- but jumped down a moment later. >_< Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by skarlett88 View Post
    I had a sweet moment with my cat today, where it almost seemed like he might settle in. He came and stood on my lap for a moment when I was petting him --- but jumped down a moment later. >_< Oh well.
    I'm happy you had a special moment, maybe it's the beginning of longer lap visits. My guy will stay if I'm holding him in my arms, but he never has laid in my lap for any period of time. Good luck with Arthur, sending lots of good kitty vibes your way.

So it seems this may be the "re-beginning" of longer lap visits. Today I sat on the couch beside Arthur and started petting him like I usually do, and after a while of purring away he got up and sat in my lap! It's been sooo long since he's actually spent any time in my lap, and it was a wonderful moment. A whole minute or so, then he was off. Kitty still knows who's Mama around here

Glad to see your Arthur is starting to sit with you again skarlett88, I was wondering if it is hot /summer over your way now, that it might be that he was feeling a bit to warm to snuggle up on your lap.

Quote Originally Posted by skarlett88 View Post
    So it seems this may be the "re-beginning" of longer lap visits. Today I sat on the couch beside Arthur and started petting him like I usually do, and after a while of purring away he got up and sat in my lap! It's been sooo long since he's actually spent any time in my lap, and it was a wonderful moment. A whole minute or so, then he was off. Kitty still knows who's Mama around here
    Thanks for sharing that good news, I was hoping Arthur would start to come around. My guy still won't hang on my lap, but he stays at my feet like a puppy. Maybe when he's older, either way, he can do no wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    My guy still won't hang on my lap, but he stays at my feet like a puppy. Maybe when he's older, either way, he can do no wrong.
    Aww, that's cute. Arthur often hangs around my feet as well, so I pet him with my feet. Then he rolls over looking for a belly rub, and my foot obliges. hehe. ^_^

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.