Dogs and raw eggs

Dogs and raw eggs

Is it okay to feed my dog raw eggs? My boyfriend claims that it is, but I find this completely idiotic. There's no possible way that this can be a safe thing, is there? I looked on line and found that it is possible for dogs to get salmonella, but it is more difficult for a dog to get it than a human because dogs have shorter digestive tracts and thus not as much time for the bacteria to infect and get absorbed and whatnot. Does anyone else feed their dogs raw eggs? I haven't actually done so yet because it seems like such a bad idea, right?
    Thanks

Don't know the ins and outs, someone will be along soon who does I'm sure, but dogs don't digest raw food in the same way people do. In fact, raw food is better for them than cooked. Raw chicken is fine to give them and won't make them sick. I've never done it myself, but I know people who give raw eggs to their dogs as a treat or for health reasons. As with anything else, as long as it's in moderation they shouldn't get sick.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...s-good-or-bad/ - quick article that sums up the info I've been reading on various sites after a google search on the subject

Thanks for the informative article Goldfinch7! I sometimes crack a raw egg over my dog's food, and I had an older dog who was sickly and having strokes and would not eat or drink anything. I nursed him back to health by putting a raw egg in a turkey baster, along with vitamins like B-50 complex and Natural Vitamin E...it helped him gain back his strength. So, I have never had any issues feeding my dogs the occassional egg or two. As Goldfinch said...moderation is key.

In the wild, dogs do tend to eat raw eggs. However, scientific findings have informed dog owners that raw eggs contain biotin and this binds with some of the nutrients dogs need and sometimes causes them digestive problems. In short, raws are not a good idea unless you feed them the entire egg and not the whites alone. Nonetheless, it doesn't mean that eating it once will cause a major problem.

I think it's best to have it cooked rather than having your dog eat it raw, anyway.

Note: I read in GF's link that the shells are full of nutrients. Somebody should consider giving that a thought and adding it as an ingredient in dog foods.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.