puppy just ate a paper towel

Unhappy puppy just ate a paper towel

My puppy (7 months) just stole a paper towel from the trash can (nothing on it, i just used it to wipe her face a few minutes before) and literally ATE IT. I thought she had her toy in her crate but she snuck a paper towel in there and it was GONE (found a tiny piece on the bottom). It was a plain white paper towel.

We just got over a week of off & on gastritis (vet's "diagnosis") including a serious bout last Sunday when it started. It is MESSY. I am hoping this doesn't cause anything - anyone out there with experience on this, will it cause her problems? Or will it simply digest or just come out somehow? She's been fine for the last 2 days - I've been very careful about not letting her ingest ANYTHING other than her own food and she seems back to normal.

UGH, I hope it doesn't come back b/c of this!!! Thoughts?

As far as just eating a plain white paper towel, I don't think there's going to be any problems from that. It should just go through the pup's system. A lot of puppies eat papers and paper towels when young, mischevious and teething. A paper towel is probably the lesser of a lot of evils out there.

I have no experience with gastritis, did the vet give any meds for that? My cat's been having diarrhea for almost a week now, I'm waiting for today's BM to decide whether to take him to the vet. He's been pretty active, still has appetite, and is drinking water...so I'm not too worried. I don't like to put him on antibiotics if not absolutely necessary, prescription meds in general are not good, too many side effects.

I've only heard that kind of diagnosis in humans.

I read about it and it seems that dogs who love rummaging through garbage, eating spoiled food and swallowing indigestible stuff are the most prone to it. I do hope it doesn't cause your pup to contract it again. Although, if it's a one time paper towel thing, then the chances that your pup's okay is pretty good. Since you didn't mention anything about vomiting for the first 24 hours, that;'s good.

Just in case the the gastritis comes back, small frequent bland meals will be your best bet to a speedy recovery

By the way, is your pup brachycephalic? I've read that some breeds are more prone to gastritis than others.

I had a dog eat a cotton dish towel once (he was a collie so quite a big boy) - I spoke to my vet and he said not to panic, it should pass through the system naturally but if he starts vomiting, then that is the sign that there is a blockage. As long as she's not throwing up and seems well in herself than she should be fine.

@ Alpha - Yes, the vet gave her a shot of an anti-nausea medicine (started with a C), plus I had to give her half a tablet of it once a day for 2 days. She recommended bland food and to be MAJORLY careful about what puppy eats for a while until it goes away. It went away for a couple days, then she got it again overnight (there was a major mess when I woke up, plus she woke me up one night at 3:20 in the morning). Then this Saturday, I went out for 4 hours in the morning and she was in her crate, and there was a major mess when I got home. I think what she was doing was either pooping and eating it then throwing it up (in my research this week, that seems to be common!) She has been fine since, and I have been very diligent about making sure she eats NO poop, is nowhere near the cat box, the cat food, or anything other than her 2 kong toys and her very hard nylabone. I also cleaned my floors really well.

@ haopee - I did notice that one of the toys I gave her last week had broken off some pieces and made her sick. Now I am going to be careful about what I give her to play with - extra-strong KONG toys seem to be very durable, even for my little power-chewer. She's part black lab, part border collie (we think) and supposedly part beagle/boxer (pix on my profile, I think). So far she hasn't gotten sick and she ate it right before I posted. I hope it doesn't come back - it's super messy. The first day it was a LOT - i mean a LOT - she threw up 4x and it nearly covered the bottom of her crate. She was messy too - I had to bathe her twice in two days.

Hope your baby gets better soon Bluewaters.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.