What can be done about the pit bull?

What can be done about the pit bull?

For reasons in my personal life which I don't care to type out, I prefer animals over human beings. Animals don't judge me, they don't hate me, they love to see me, and are just all around great.

I know there are nice people out there, but for the most part, I prefer animals.

In a few months I'll be moving and I am looking at what dog would be best for me, and I could think of no other. The Pit Bull.

I don't believe in bad dogs. A dog can certainly be more aggressive than others, or more jealous. I don't believe that a dog can just naturally be bad. If one of my dogs were to bite someone, it would be because someone screwed up, not because my dogs are just naturally out for blood.

Anyway, the pit bull gets an awful rap. There are plenty of dog bites that the news doesn't bother with, but oh lord when a pitbull is involved, every news media on the planet covers it. They make it seem like Pit Bulls are just killers who crave human flesh. I know this is not true, as I myself have been around several. One of my friends owns one and about the worst thing it's ever done to me was lick my hand to death.

What can be done to raise public education about pit bulls. I am afraid that if I get one after I move, it might put fear and panic into my neighbors. I'll live near the beach, and of course I would let her (I plan on getting a female) run around and play on the beach, but I am afraid someone might try to hurt her or have their kids run away in fear from it.

Sadly due to dog fights and complete mistreating yes pits have a bad rep but pits are wonderful loving dogs who just like any other dog with proper respect and love can be some of the sweetest loving dog i cant stand for someone say pits are mean dogs. they are only mean because they were made to be mean. iv have had nothing but pit bulls all my life and neither me or the billion people who have come in to contact with my life time of dogs has ever been attacked make sure you get a pup freshly weened from her mother that way you can teach her what is right and wrong there are studies being done that show that pit bull trained right are in the top 5 best dogs to listen

I completely agree with what you said, GKDAIR in your post - bad dogs are because of bad people. No dog is born out and out nasty, they are taught to be violent, aggressive etc by the people around them. I have met more lovely, friendly, soft bull breed dogs than I count and quite a few nasty, snappy small breed dogs. I've actually only ever been bitten or gone for by cute little dogs who have been so spoiled and babied that they end up just like a spoilt child - temper trantruming if they don't get their way!

I think a pit bull would be a fantastic choice for pet, as long as you choose the right individual dog for you - if you get a puppy, you'll be able to teach and train him/her how to behave from day 1 and if you go to a rescue, they will have fully assessed the dog first so you know their personality type before you bring them home.

Good luck Dogs so enrich your life, I wouldn't be without mine!

My cousin has two pit bulls and they are just fine. They are VERY full of energy and might come up to me very fast and pounce on me when I visit, but that's just the way a lot of dogs act. I believe any dog can be a great dog if an owner shows love, especially if the owner has had the dog since it was a puppy.

You should try to get a puppy GKDAIR! Try to get a pit bull as a puppy, give it love and you and the dog will be all set! Make sure to have the dog socialize with other dogs and people too, that's very important.

I have met and petted a few very friendly Pit Bulls (America Staffordshire Terriers) in the park, and they are lovely pets. However, due to people training them as vicious guard dogs, or fighting dogs, they have definitely gained a bad reputation. Most of these people are drug dealers or make money fighting their dogs. That is an extreme example of animal abuse, and many young Pittys or other breeds are used as "bait" to train these dogs, and that practice is unforgiveable and inhumane, many dogs die from their painful injuries.

The fact that they have powerful jaws, and might lock onto another dog during a fight, makes them feared even more. Many people have a fear of them, and that can be expected. I've walked my dog near Pit Bulls that were owned by questionable people who had them tied on short chains to guard their property, and I am not ashamed to say that I absolutely had a fear of those dogs, when it came to the safety of my pets.

Many people fear Pit Bulls, and their fear should not be dismissed. Evil people have made this breed what it is today, if you see the Animal Cops in Michigan (on cable TV Animal Planet), you'll see many people who abuse their Pit Bulls, use them in fighting, or have them chained in their yard on a 3 foot heavy duty chain with a lock. Some of these dogs are injected with steroids, etc.

I can say that I feel sorry for the breed in general, as there are many that are good pets and friendly around children and other animals. Here's a site with some info about how they are treated. http://aavenge.com/dogfighting.htm. Another sad but realistic site regarding the unfortunate treatment of this breed...http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petb...rownstein.html

I think we've gone a long way in raising awareness to pitbulls, corsos and other breeds that are often judged for their reputation in general. In addition, the media sensationalizes these things even when they're supposed to report it objectively.

I think it helps if you get your pitbull to socialization and obedience classes, not that she may need it but so you can also meet other dog lovers around your area. Also, this might make the neighbors ease up a little seeing that you're doing a good job raising her.

Honestly, I've heard more news of police brutality to animals than dog bites coming from Pit Bulls last 2012. Even in Cesar Millan's dog whisperer, it's often the little ones that have issues and not the bigger dogs.

I think it is often a case of uneducated owners, as much if not more than "bad' owners. I'm not by any mean condoning what people may do to train fighting/guard dogs, but at least those people KNOW that they are creating dangerous dogs. I think it is much more common to have uneducated owners creating dangerous dogs through ignorance about dog behavior, fear of dogs, and even laziness.

My boyfriend rescued a Saint Bernard that the owners were going to euthanize if we didn't take him, apparently it was too much trouble to find a rescue or shelter. We got Hemi at 1 1/2(ish) years old, and he bonded with us very quickly but it was soon evident that he had not been socialized very well. If he saw a person walking down the road while he was riding in my car, he would throw himself so violently against the window that I really thought he would break it, and I won't even get into his behavior if someone approached our house or car. It was all fear aggression, but who wants a dog that attacks people when he gets nervous (and pretty much everything made him nervous). We are talking a 155 lb dog, and I'm about 150 lbs myself, so restraining him was extremely difficult, my boyfriend is 6' 5' and around 200 lbs so if he was there it wasn't as big of an issue but he wasn't always there. It took a solid 8 months of hard work, and I'll admit, some ugly scenes before I could trust Hemi to stay under control around people he didn't know, as long as my boyfriend, myself, or someone else he knew VERY well was around. I'm not saying that I'm a perfect pet owner, but with someone else who was less assertive or had gotten intimidated Hemi could have been an extremely dangerous dog (and while he got quite trustworthy, I was always mindful of certain situations and believe me, you didn't want to get into my car or house without my permission). However, this wouldn't have been an issue if he had been socialized when he was little.

I bring this up, because I work in a vet clinic, and the other day a women came in with a young puppy (that we are guessing is a Great Dane/Lab cross), and he was extremely nervous and shy. I had a long talk with her about socializing him and exposing him to things that made him nervous and it seemed to go in one ear and out the other. I could see a young Hemi in the works, how long before this dog is too big and too unmanageable, how long before he snaps at someone who doesn't know enough to back off or at a rough housing kid?

I learned a valuable lesson from Hemi, and after all we went through we had a very special bond. But it made me a little gun shy about rescues, and when after Hemi passed away and we got our Great Dane/Saint Bernard cross puppy (who is a giant wuss), I socialized the bejeesus out of him. At this point when he sees a crowd of people he tries to go over to get pet, and would probably help anyone who broke into my house find what they were looking for. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people who come into the clinic I work at have not put in this work or are intimidated by their own dogs behavior (and this goes for any breed Chihuahua to Rotti).

I think the sad fact is that most "bad" owners are uneducated owners who get in over their heads, and that the really horribly abusive owners may cause stereotypes but are responsible for the vast majority of dogs with behavior issues.

Sorry, I think the sad fact is that most "bad" owners are uneducated owners who get in over their heads, and that the really horribly abusive owners may cause some of the stereotypes but are NOT responsible for the vast majority of dogs with behavior issues.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.