Mexican Hairless Dog

Arrow Mexican Hairless Dog

The Mexican Hairless (Xoloitzcuintie) is native to Mexico, but is widespread throughout South America. The breed is named after the ancient god Xoloti. They are small dogs, but can be found in three different sizes. They have almond-shaped eyes, bat-like ears and a long graceful neck. They have no coat, but may have a tuft of hair on the head and at the end of the tail.

They are cheerful with family members, but reserved with strangers. Mexican Hairless dogs are highly intelligent, and good watchdogs, as they are known to be barkers. Photo courtesy of...http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/xoloitzcuintle.htm

Just to add something on what Alpha mentioned, these guys don't have fur so they can be prone to sun burns. So, if you have a Mexican Hairless as a pet, make sure to put some sun screen on their bodies before you take them out on sunny walk.

We've never had that breed in our country before. But I guess that wouldn't make sense since we're within the equator... it's really hot here.

I wonder how they'd fair with allergy sufferers.

Good point Haopee, thanks! Any dog with little or no hair, or light skin, can sunburn easily and needs to be protected. I imagine that allergy sufferers would do well with these dogs.

What a pretty inca orchid <3

That breed has a sweet little face.

Thats is a surprisingly attractive dog for a hairless breed. It is true that hairless dogs can sunburn easily though, and are more prone to skin infections.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.