Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Pit Bull Thing

The Pit Bull Thing

Just an early note, I might end up ranting for this topic.

I just recently watched a video on Pitbull fighting. It was horrible and what annoyed me more was how some guys think that it looks "cool" to have growling, aggressive, slobbering dogs featured in their rap music video.

And what made this worst is that one of the persons who commented on the video says that Pit Bulls are dangerous because he's had extensive experience with them (from his uncle getting stitches to a friend putting their dog down because it was dangerous).

And what's even worse is seeing how they trained these dogs to be aggressive. They were teaching them to fight even as tiny puppies. Imagine having to watch little Pitties being held on the scruffs to face each other with bared teeth like roosters on a cock fight.

I think it's sad and cruel how they get to have a bad rap when it's not entirely their fault. Rather, it's due to people molding them to be that way- not to forget ignorance and lack of legitimate educated information.

Pits get a bad rap because of the people who buy them for fighting or to guard their homes if they're drug dealers. I feel bad for the ones used as the bait dogs.

It's still in contention whether the white dog with the blues eyes is Catahoula Leopard Cur/Fox Terrier or CLC/Pit Bull. I honestly believe it's Fox Terrier.

I rescued him three years ago and "Frankly My Dear, I didn't Give a Darn Then" and I still don't. I have never in my life seen such a passive, loving, non-agressive dog; the 18 pound cat beats up on him.

He was dumped at the corner of the county & state highways --- stayed there for three days waiting for the loser to come back and get him. A man finally went down into the ravine/ditch (about 12 feet, picked Mason up, and how he carried Mason up out of there I will never know.

Naturally Mason wasn't neutered. He was house broke, listened well on a leash, understood basic obedience & what a bath is, and was very used to getting whapped on the head for any little perceived transgression. Amazingly, it was a woman that did all the mental abusing and whapping on the head - I would love to have just five minutes alone with her.

Anyway, my point is nobody wanted Mason because he was stereo-typed as "a Pit Bull, therefore dangerous" before anyone could catch him. With our Animal Control being so over-crowded that stereo-typing would have meant certain death for this most precious and extremely intelligent-willing-to-please dog.

The Dobe/Rott cross (both breeds also popular for dog fights) laying in front of Mason? I rescued her on my road nearly naked from sarcoptic mange and so close to death the spiders were making nests on her. The vet said I could put her to sleep but that was not what her eyes were saying ---- that was February 2004 Kara was also that standard "about 18 months old" and had just had puppies but I never found the puppies.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You're an angel for saving these precious animals.

Quote Originally Posted by TWHRider View Post
    It's still in contention whether the white dog with the blues eyes is Catahoula Leopard Cur/Fox Terrier or CLC/Pit Bull. I honestly believe it's Fox Terrier.

I rescued him three years ago and "Frankly My Dear, I didn't Give a Darn Then" and I still don't. I have never in my life seen such a passive, loving, non-agressive dog; the 18 pound cat beats up on him.

He was dumped at the corner of the county & state highways --- stayed there for three days waiting for the loser to come back and get him. A man finally went down into the ravine/ditch (about 12 feet, picked Mason up, and how he carried Mason up out of there I will never know.

Naturally Mason wasn't neutered. He was house broke, listened well on a leash, understood basic obedience & what a bath is, and was very used to getting whapped on the head for any little perceived transgression. Amazingly, it was a woman that did all the mental abusing and whapping on the head - I would love to have just five minutes alone with her.

Anyway, my point is nobody wanted Mason because he was stereo-typed as "a Pit Bull, therefore dangerous" before anyone could catch him. With our Animal Control being so over-crowded that stereo-typing would have meant certain death for this most precious and extremely intelligent-willing-to-please dog.

The Dobe/Rott cross (both breeds also popular for dog fights) laying in front of Mason? I rescued her on my road nearly naked from sarcoptic mange and so close to death the spiders were making nests on her. The vet said I could put her to sleep but that was not what her eyes were saying ---- that was February 2004 Kara was also that standard "about 18 months old" and had just had puppies but I never found the puppies.
    Oh, those stories are just plain awful. I'm glad they found new homes.

Neglect and cruelty... some people think it's okay simply because nobody catches them doing it.

Mason's nuzzle is distinctive to the Rat Terrier breed. I clearly remember Peanuts having the same nuzzle, but the shape of the head does look like that of a Pittie... Wait a minute, does it really even matter? All that matters is that Mason found himself a great human to reciprocate his love.

I have to admit that I'm not a big breed person, but I would never give big breeds a bad rap. That's racism!

Haopee, being raised on the farm, all we had were big dogs.

I was only four years old but I still vividly remember Jackie, a retired German Shepherd from the Cleveland Police Department that had nowhere to go because he was trained in a foreign language. Even though we lived waaaay out in the country, somehow dad found out about Jackie. He spoke that language and managed to get Jackie, who lived with us until his end time.

I have always been a big dog person. If I have to bend over to pet a dog, no matter how sweet it is, it's too small - lollollol I want to be able to scratch it's ears without bending my knees too much - lollol Dogs have to multi-task around here. There are things for them to do besides hold the recliner chair down - lol lol

I used to be afraid of pits but my son and daughter have one and they are good friendly dogs.

Of course pitbulls will be aggresive if they have owners that haven't grown a brain, its not the poor dogs faults, any dog can be dangerous,a lot depends on how they are handled.

I agree with the fact that pitbull aggression can be the result of bad handling and it depends on a owner and how they raise the pitbull. I think awareness is important in cases like this. My aunt had one and it was such a sweetheart!

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    Of course pitbulls will be aggresive if they have owners that haven't grown a brain, its not the poor dogs faults, any dog can be dangerous,a lot depends on how they are handled.
    I totally agree on this one. And that's a worldwide fact. Aggressive dogs are caused by intentionally irresponsible owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    I agree with the fact that pitbull aggression can be the result of bad handling and it depends on a owner and how they raise the pitbull. I think awareness is important in cases like this. My aunt had one and it was such a sweetheart!
    I know. I think it's a good thing that pit bulls are getting a better reputation these days as some people have decided not to judge a dog by its breed.

Quote Originally Posted by ajoseph View Post
    I used to be afraid of pits but my son and daughter have one and they are good friendly dogs.
    Good for you. The way people treat their dogs can show others their true character.

Quote Originally Posted by TWHRider View Post
    Haopee, being raised on the farm, all we had were big dogs.

I was only four years old but I still vividly remember Jackie, a retired German Shepherd from the Cleveland Police Department that had nowhere to go because he was trained in a foreign language. Even though we lived waaaay out in the country, somehow dad found out about Jackie. He spoke that language and managed to get Jackie, who lived with us until his end time.

I have always been a big dog person. If I have to bend over to pet a dog, no matter how sweet it is, it's too small - lollollol I want to be able to scratch it's ears without bending my knees too much - lollol Dogs have to multi-task around here. There are things for them to do besides hold the recliner chair down - lol lol
    Jackie's story sounds interesting. It's too bad you couldn't share a picture of him. I'm not sure why I don't like big dogs, perhaps it's because I do like to take my dogs whenever I travel. Big dogs are more costly than small dogs. LOL. Unfortunately, we didn't have the space for them back then. I've grown with mongrels and street dogs which are often medium sized so I'm pretty much confident in taking care of them.

Pit bulls are not naturally aggressive dogs. It is terrible that they are raised for fighting. Pit bull fighting is very cruel to these poor dogs and I feel terrible for them.

A Pit Bull has a natural trait to lock their jaws. Its in their blood, but if you raise a Pit with love they will never attack unprovoked. Pits get a bad name because of bad owners who are using them for Illegal dog fights. It is a disgusting, horrible sight to see anything like that. I would never subject myself to those types of video's and I don't want to know people who do.
    I have a lab, pit mix and he is a Giant, lovable and very protective. The best guard dog ever. He has great instincts and I love him. He is good with children and my son wallows all over him. He has already saved our lives 3 times. He cornered an intruder in our yard until the police came. He alerted us to a fire at the neighbors house, so I was able to water my house to keep it from burning. He swam out in the lake and just instinctively pulled my baby son in, even though my son was playing that he was drowning. I love my pit, lab named Chico. He is beautiful and handsome and weighs about 108 lbs. He is 10 yrs old and still full of life.

I adore pit bull dogs and their funny personalities. Although, it's not always the owners fault when they get one who ends up aggressive. Sometimes the breeders before them are at fault. Blue nose pit bulls, usually the ones fully gray with small white markings, are mostly very badly bred. Most are inbred and not selectively bred and they end up with mood disorders, just like a person can have. It's very sad, that someone looking to buy a beautiful grey with white markings pit bull to love and train them properly and still devastatingly realize that your pooch has mood disorders, anxiety, and is insecure. Not all blue nose pits end up this way, but I have witnessed it. The bad breeders are also at fault for the reputation of the pit bull, not just the ones who don't raise them properly.

I think that a pit bull can be just as good a family dog and any other dog, and probably better than some. One of the worst for biting has to be the chihuahua, but it does not make the headlines, because the ones that attack do not mangle their victims as bad as a large dog, like rots, Dobie, or pit bulls do when they are vicious.

When my kids were growing up, we had a stray pitbull make its way to our house, and we naturally adopted it, and fed it so it was not the skinny creature that arrived on the doorstep. My daughter was pretty young at that time, and she just loved that brindle dog, and they played together all the time' and I am sure that he would never have hurt her in any way. The neighborhood where we lived was not the best , so I do not even know what kind of background this dog came from, but with us, he was always a gentle loving dog.

Pit bulls, or any dog for that matter, do not have locking jaws. That is a complete myth. They have extraordinary jaw strength, but they do not lock.
    Anyway my apbt is a wonderful loyal dog who is great with my children and other dogs. I found him on the side of the road nearly 2 years ago and brought him to the nearest house and the lady said, o I haven't counted them today, so he might be ours. We walked into the backyard where there was row after row of cages lined up with more than 50 pits in them. She got to an empty one and said, o yeah he must be ours. What kind of pos can't recognize their dog and has to count to see if its gone? I asked if I could take him to get neutered and vetted for her and the response was, you might as well keep him if you take away his money maker. So I did. He was completely untrained, had never had a bath or been inside a house. Those first few months were rough on him. He was quite the escape artist, but always came back. Now he is in a 6 ft privacy fence with buried chicken wire underneath and an electronic fence on top of that. He isn't going anywhere now nor does he want to.
    Here's a pic of him with my 6 year old training him.image.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.