Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The Pit Bull Thing

hqa.jpgNClady520, he looks like quite the happy dog! And just a thought, I've been bitten by and been much more scared of little mean dogs than pit bull dogs. Haha.
    How could you hate a face like that?! This is my sisters pit bull, Kalea. She is the sweetest thing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Though Pit Bulls do have a higher tendency to be more protective and aggressive, they will only needlessly lash out at people if they are trained that way. Pit Bulls, like other dogs, learn from the conditions in which they were raised in.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddysean View Post
    Though Pit Bulls do have a higher tendency to be more protective and aggressive, they will only needlessly lash out at people if they are trained that way. Pit Bulls, like other dogs, learn from the conditions in which they were raised in.
    I have to disagree. Pitbulls are loyal, but not naturally aggressive. They are very rarely people aggressive at any rate. You are MUCH more like to be bitten by a small possessive dog. The number one biting breed is the cocker spaniel.
    Most "pitbull" attacks are not even done by the actual breed. The majority of the general public doesn't know an apbt from a lab.

Quote Originally Posted by NClady520 View Post
    Pit bulls, or any dog for that matter, do not have locking jaws. That is a complete myth. They have extraordinary jaw strength, but they do not lock.
    Anyway my apbt is a wonderful loyal dog who is great with my children and other dogs. I found him on the side of the road nearly 2 years ago and brought him to the nearest house and the lady said, o I haven't counted them today, so he might be ours. We walked into the backyard where there was row after row of cages lined up with more than 50 pits in them. She got to an empty one and said, o yeah he must be ours. What kind of pos can't recognize their dog and has to count to see if its gone? I asked if I could take him to get neutered and vetted for her and the response was, you might as well keep him if you take away his money maker. So I did. He was completely untrained, had never had a bath or been inside a house. Those first few months were rough on him. He was quite the escape artist, but always came back. Now he is in a 6 ft privacy fence with buried chicken wire underneath and an electronic fence on top of that. He isn't going anywhere now nor does he want to.
    Here's a pic of him with my 6 year old training him.Attachment 1743
    That's awful. Was the woman a hoarder? Was she an illegal breeder? Shouldn't they be reported?

I hate it when she mentioned the term money maker. That's like "What the-"

Some people do the craziest things. This reminds me of some breeders who sell their pups online.

How do people find a good breeder, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Naturegirl View Post
    NClady520, he looks like quite the happy dog! And just a thought, I've been bitten by and been much more scared of little mean dogs than pit bull dogs. Haha. hqa.jpg
    How could you hate a face like that?! This is my sisters pit bull, Kalea. She is the sweetest thing.
    Kalea is such a cutie! She's like a giant a dalmatian

I've had my fair share of tiny dog bites. Buchi has a very bad temper especially when he finds the opportunity to bully someone. And even the bigger dogs twice or thrice his size cower at him when he goes haywire.

I believe its a matter of training them.

She is a horrible breeder. She still has dozens of dogs. I live not two miles from her now and drive by daily hoping to find another escape artist to save. No luck yet. The county we live in only requires water and something for them to get under as shelter. Other than that they do not care what you do to your dogs. They are even worse about horses. Don't even get me started on how many horses are tied to tree out here. Ugh.

Finding a good breeder is a very time consuming process that most people don't have the desire to do. You need to go to shows talk with handlers and breeders, find one you like, get approved by the breeder, agree to their contract, get put on a waiting list, and wait until you puppy comes along. It's much easier and more rewarding to just go through a rescue and save a life.

Kalea is such a cutie! She's like a giant a dalmatian
    Yes she is adorable. Such a happy and hyper girl!

I've only seen badly treated pit bulls on tv, who are on short heavy chains in the yard, no human companionship, and bred to terrorize, fight or breed. Owners like that should be behind bars. I met a couple of pit bulls that were very friendly and tame.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.