Could something be wrong with my cat?

Could something be wrong with my cat?

Earlier this morning some a-hole rang my doorbell twice rapidly and then knocked while I was still in bed trying to get some more rest. After 20 minutes I drag myself out of bed and see that my cat is sitting in the living room staring at the door still. I look around to make sure some creeper isn't there and find no one. After that scare I go to greet my cat but she refused to sniff my hand and she kept slinking away when I tried to pet her.

She's about 13 years old, gray tabby. Usually, she's been anxious to see me almost all the time since I'm not at home often and she would scream at me practically when I got home and follow me everywhere. But she just suddenly acted like I did something bad to her...

Fortunately about ten minutes after I gave up and went in my room she opened my door(i left it open a crack) and let me pet her and scratch her and she's acting kind of normal again. At first she kept looking out my door anxiously like she could still be scared of whoever rang my doorbell. It's strange though bc she's always friendly whenever visitors are at the house.

I'm still just very weirded out, especially since she seemed afraid of ME for a while. Maybe I should go take her to the vet just to see if something's wrong? The problem is every time I've been asking my parents to get her a check up, and they know she hasn't been for years, they're like "she's just fine" I'm beginning to think I might have to pay out of pocket or maybe talk to them again. How much would an appointment usually cost? I want to get just about everything tested I want her to live to 20!

Regardless of the reason she acted this way today, a check up at the vet is a good idea, too bad you would have to pay for it yourself, but it's best for the cat, especially at the age of 13 years. I really hope you follow through on that.

It's possible that the doorbell startled her at the time, maybe she was in the middle of a sleep and awoke suddenly. It could've cause her to be spooked. I wouldn't take her actions as anything personal against you at all, if she was spooked then she would be acting weirded out herself.

The cost of a check-up and complete blood testing would depend on what kind of clinic or vet office you go to. The vet may want to give her vaccinations too, which will add to the cost. I've been finding out that vaccinations may be bad for our pets, and I now will only allow my young cat to have a rabies. I'm not a doctor, but at the age of your cat, I would try to tell that doctor not to give any vaccinations.

Sometimes the vet will have a website, and you can get an idea of some prices. If there's a clinic, animal shelter, or something like that where you live, you may be able to get the check-up at a lower cost. Good luck, and welcome to the forum...so glad that you care for your girl like that, kudos!

Thanks so much for your constructive reply! Never asking ANYTHING on yahoo again... Yeah she might also have been scared bc she's gotten hard of hearing and was paranoid perhaps. But she is old so I'll still get her checked out I might need to take her to a shelter bc we don't have insurance for her. I'll talk to my dad about paying at least partially. I'm very protective and get worried about her easily

You're very kind, I like that! When pets get older, whether dogs or cats, they will change their behavior a little bit. And you're right about the hearing, and also the vision may be affected with age. Things like cataracts can cause blurred vision, or halos in the sight view...causing upset to the animals, since they can't talk to us and tell us their worries. I had an older dog who sometimes would hear me call, and walk in the opposite direction to come to me, due to poor hearing.

He would also go outside to fetch the morning newspaper, something he did all his life, and forget why he went out there, and start walking down the block in his own little world. That is a form of dementia, or memory loss. So it can be one thing, or a little bit of everything. But it's very good to rule out any kind of health condition too.

Dang. It's always sad to watch old animals go, you just wish they'd live as long as humans :/

I know, but the nice thing is that they lived to be old...many animals (and people) don't have that privilege. The even better thing is that they have a comfortable home and loving owner to make their golden years special.

Yep true that

Hey GreyTabby! Just a side note here, but if your cat still seems to be showing signs of distress, then you might want to spend some extra time with her to show that she can trust you still. I know that cat socialization is a continuous process, so just make sure that you still play with her and pet her and give her treats. I'm sure you always do that since you seem like such a loving owner, but I just thought that I should put it out there for others as well, just in case. Also, I would agree with everyone else and recommend a vet check up. Good luck!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.