Dog licking his own urine.

Dog licking his own urine.

For some reason when my dog Chance is let out in the backyard to urinate, I see him licking his own urine. Does anyone know what could be causing this? He is a healthy dog but this habit is causing me concern.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks...Jodie

If he's been drinking a lot of water, seems thirsty, urinating more frequently, and the urine has a stronger odor than usual, then it may be due to a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). I've never had one of my dogs do this, but it's what I've heard. The only other thing would be if the dog wasn't getting enough water to drink, and was becoming dehydrated.

It shouldn't be harmful for him to drink it, but if it were me, I'd head to the vet and get him checked out...or at least collect a urine sample, and see if they'll run a test on it without the dog present. Once a medical condition is ruled out, you can just try to discourage the behavior by watching him and being nearby when he goes out, and then correcting him with a 'no' or 'leave it' command. Maybe you can run a bit of water over it with the hose, so he gets the idea, and isn't so tempted.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanual Kant~

My weirdo beagle drinks the pee straight from Pete's thing. It doesn't even hit the ground yet. He goes to the vet regularly(he's epileptic) and the vet has no explanation for that bizarre behavior. I know that doesn't offer you any answers, but now at least you know you aren't alone.

Dogs look at this different than we people do. My little Chipper usually sniffs where he potties, but he does not lick it. However, if one of the girl dogs goes to the bathroom, he not only sniffs, but often licks a little . I think it has something to do with getting her scent on him. A dog thing, anyway.
    A billy goat is totally disgusting, he not only pees on his goatee, and licks it, then he rubs it all over himself. It is all a mating thing.
    I have no idea why your dog is doing this, and it is good to have it checked out, but it might just be a habit he has gotten into doing, and just scolding him when he does it might help him break the habit.
    If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans. James Herriot

Does he drink water excessively? What's the color of his pee? Is it dark yellow? He might be excessively thirsty? You can try bringing him to a grassy area when he goes potty to stop him from doing it so often. Also, some dogs can be picky with their water. Chooey once had a phase where she would only drink newly changed water.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyflowerlady View Post
    Dogs look at this different than we people do. My little Chipper usually sniffs where he potties, but he does not lick it. However, if one of the girl dogs goes to the bathroom, he not only sniffs, but often licks a little . I think it has something to do with getting her scent on him. A dog thing, anyway.
    A billy goat is totally disgusting, he not only pees on his goatee, and licks it, then he rubs it all over himself. It is all a mating thing.
    I have no idea why your dog is doing this, and it is good to have it checked out, but it might just be a habit he has gotten into doing, and just scolding him when he does it might help him break the habit.
    Oh yes, that's a mating thing. The male dog even licks the bitch's (that sounded weird) reproductive area to determine whether she's in heat or not. That's aside from sniffing and licking their pee. I've seen such behavior in our dogs back when they weren't neutered.
    I love my dogs to the power of infinity and my dogs love me.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.