Help! Dog causing alot of problems

Unhappy Help! Dog causing alot of problems

Hi I have recently started having issues with my kelpie. I have a pitty and a kelpie and they have been together for about 2 years. they are both house trained and for the most part mild mannered. about a month ago my kelpie started peeing all over the floor and digging in the trash. i cleaned the tiles, removed the trash, she peed on the floor again. we ran out for 15 minutes, come home, pee is on the floor and trash is everywhere. I dont know what sparked this... if we dont kennel her, she pees everywhere, when she is in the kennel she is fine, but i do not want to kennel her all night and all day, thats not fair, but this pee and trash thing is getting too much to handle. please help

Is there something different, any changes in what she's seeing or hearing when she's out that could be stressing her out? If you're taking her out on a leash, can you give her a longer time to go? Any way you can put down a small spot of newspapers in the kitchen, and encourage to use them if she needs to urinate? The trash thing sounds like something is making her nervous or stressed.

The only other thing I can think of, is that there's a medical problem, a urinary or bladder issue that's creating uncontrolled excess urination. When she's crated she many feel more relaxed and secure, so her bladder would relax too. No, it's inhumane to keep her in the crate day and night, I personally would rather confine the dog to one room with a baby gate and some newspapers on the floor, than in a crate at all.

Maybe you can just put her in the kennel when you have to go somewhere, at least until you can figure out what is causing this behavior. I can see that a medical reason could be giving her the bladder control problem, but that does not explain the sudden habit of digging through the trash. It seems more like it is apt to be stress, or something that has upset her, and you just have not figured out what it is as of yet.

Once they start doing something, it just gets harder and harder to stop it, the more they repeat the behavior, so if you can kennel her while you find the underlying cause, that might help stop the habits from becoming more entrenched.
    Maybe there is something different outside, like one of the neighbors just got a new dog, and she is upset, and not getting all her chores done when she goes outside. I would watch her to see if she acts differently out in the yard also.
    The baby gate idea is great, too ! If she does not jump over it, then the bathroom, or even a laundry room is usually the easiest room to clean up, and she may not want to go potty in that restricted of an area, either, so it would work even better than crating her, since it will give her more room.

I have decided to make one of my spare rooms the doggy room for when we are at work, that way I dont have to worry about her getting into the trash, and she has room to move around and if she has an accident it will be in the spare room not the livingroom. The only thing I can think of that is different is that my husband and I go to the gym alot more so we arent home as much as we used to be. I tried putting the puppy pads down but she peed next to it, so i put 4 down right next to each other forming a giant square and same thing, peed next to it. I would try the baby gate but she jumps, she has jumped out 6 foot back fence before so *shrug* I guess we shall see what happens when we put her in the front room. Thank you for your input

Yeah, she could really just be wanting more attention from you and your husband, they are very social animals...so that may be the problem. I tried puppy pads once, but to me they were useless...they always were more willing to use newspapers. It helps if you pat some urine on the pad, maybe that will help.

What I have found works for me when training a puppy, is to first put them in a smaller area, that you can cover the floor with the puppy pad (or newspaper, etc.) so they have to use the pad. Once the dog has begun to use the pad, then you only partially cover the floor, and see if they will still use the pad. Leave one that they have used so they will know where to go. Then you can take away all except the pads that you want her to use. Once she is using the pad, try moving her into the larger room, and hopefully, she will still use the pad.
    If you are now being gone more than usual, then that is very possibly what is upsetting her, and once she started the destructive behavior , she just continued with it. Maybe, once she is doing ok in the dog room, you will be able to leave her out again, and just be certain that the trash is emptied, and there is nothing to tempt her. Hopefully, she will accept that you are gone away longer, but still will be coming back home.

It does sound like separation anxiety. That will cause both traits, and if both behaviors came on around the same time, it probably is a stress thing. We had a Lab with separation anxiety who would use the bathroom EVERYWHERE anytime we went out, even if we took him outside before we left, would rip into the trash even if there was nothing in it to interest him, and scream (that part we found out from a neighbor). Once we crate trained him, he seemed to feel much more secure, and the behaviors stopped. The trash was a little harder to break. He got to the point where he'd go to his crate if he saw us getting ready to leave or go to bed. We always let him have the run of the house if either of us was home, though, and tried never to leave him crated for very long at a time. The larger space idea (like a room) didn't work for us; we tried that first and he just destroyed the room. That might not be the case for yours, though. I think it all depends on the dog's personality, ultimately.

However, my experience doesn't rule out the necessity for a vet visit for yours. It could be something medical or dietary.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.