My handsome Shadow has passed away

My handsome Shadow has passed away

I have been inactive on the forum for a couple months, as I have been busy and have not had the chance to come on due to family and pet emergencies...

Around three months ago, my dear rescue labrador Shadow fell ill. It seemed to be the flu at first; diarrhea, throwing up, and some lethargy. We took him to the vet and he was given medication for nausea. However, he got worse and soon was throwing up blood, which prompted us to take him back to the vets. They were puzzled since his symptoms matched so many things, but put him on different medication that seemed to help. Three weeks later though, after much improvement, he spiraled down hill again; throwing up, diarrhea, extreme lethargy and refusing to eat or drink. The change was nearly overnight this time, and we took him to the vet again, where they did blood tests and found that his red blood cell count was severely low.

He was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder where his body's immune system was attacking itself, specifically his red blood cells, which meant his body wasn't getting enough oxygen. We had him on medication and he seemed to improve marginally for a few days, but went downhill once more on a sunday a month after symptoms had started appearing, and passed away at home the following monday night within hours of us making the decision to put him to sleep the following day if he was still as bad.

R.I.P. buddy, I miss you still and will always remember you.

Shadow.jpg

Sad news about your beautiful Shadow, condolences to you and your family. Funny that I was just looking at his photo in one of your albums yesterday. It's nice that he passed at home, and will always be remembered with such love.

Thank you for your condolences. I'm in a way glad he passed away at home, as at least it was somewhere he was comfortable since he never liked the vets office.. our cat Smokey was pretty badly affected by it, and was very clingy to my grandfather and I for the first month Shadow was gone.

It's still taking some getting used to, but grandfather brought home two puppies a couple weeks ago (one for me, one for my aunt, he said; doing things like that is his way of coping with loss) and taking care of them is helping keep us busy and not think about it too much.

So sorry to hear about your dear Shadow. What a sweet dog.

But animals have souls as we do. He is still alive in spirit and one day you'll be together again...

Quote Originally Posted by Knightofalbion View Post
    So sorry to hear about your dear Shadow. What a sweet dog.

But animals have souls as we do. He is still alive in spirit and one day you'll be together again...
    Thank you for your kind words, Knight. One day I will be with him again, and my Felix who passed away a year and a half ago..

I add my condolences. As you say, at least he passed over in the familiar surroundings of his home. You will surely meet again with your beloved pets; it's not a case of "Farewell" but of "See you later!"

i am so sorry!
    i know its not nice, but just think you gave him a great life!

Hey Plex, I just found out that I wasn't able to post successfully what I was supposed to say here. I know it's a too late, but I hope you accept my condolences.

"Oh Plex, my condolences. I haven't been online often because of Chooey's problem.

I hope you guys are recovering. I know some cats can take passings really badly. I hope Smokey is doing okay too.

Maybe because Shadow was getting old that his immune system was doing bad things. I'm honestly thankful that he didn't have to suffer for so long before he finally went over the rainbow bridge. I once had a pup who died of Parvo and I didn't know what it was back then. I thought it was just an episode so I stayed with her for the entire time not knowing that she was already suffering and drowning in her own blood. It has haunted me ever since."

Thank you LPC, remmiebear; and thank you haopee, I accept your condolences.

I'm sorry to hear about your pup with Parvo; That must have been horrible to witness. It could have been Shadow getting older, but it was a really sudden turn.. Smokey was depressed at first but he started getting over it, then we lost grandpa a few months later (around two months ago) and he's been depressed and clingy since then again since grandpa was his. Luna has been helping though, Smokey's bonded with her.

Thanks for the update Plex, good to hear that Smokey and Luna have bonded with each other. Sad you lost your grandpa, may he rest peacefully.

It is good and thank you for the condolences Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Plex View Post
    Thank you LPC, remmiebear; and thank you haopee, I accept your condolences.

I'm sorry to hear about your pup with Parvo; That must have been horrible to witness. It could have been Shadow getting older, but it was a really sudden turn.. Smokey was depressed at first but he started getting over it, then we lost grandpa a few months later (around two months ago) and he's been depressed and clingy since then again since grandpa was his. Luna has been helping though, Smokey's bonded with her.
    It must have been difficult for your other family members when Shadow passed. I remember Coal being lethargic when Shark passed away. He would just stare at me and push his head on my hand. I guess it was his way of seeking comfort.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.