Dog Jealousy??

Dog Jealousy??

So I recently got a cat (per my other thread). There has been an increase in my dogs 'bad' behavior (peeing in the house, chewing on things). I've been giving them equal attention but cannot figure out how to get it to stop. As I said previously this isn't new behavior it's behavior that he rarely ever did, and I'd been working to correct. Helllppppppp!!

It sounds like jealousy to me. Equal attention may not be good enough for your pup...you may have to give much more attention to the dog, and more one-on-one activities outside the home, like walks or playtime. That will help tire the dog, and assure her that she's still number one in your pack.

My dog refuses to go on walks! Lol we do play catch but she tires of that easily. The only games she likes to play really is wrestling and tug of war. Both games are aggressive so I try not to play them too often. Even when we wrestle I try to make it more of a petting/belly scratch game. It still makes her growl and nip (never bite) and I have to stop the game at that point. She's not an aggressive dog and I don't want to turn her into one lol.

Right now after my son goes to sleep I give the cat like half an hour of undivided attention then do the same with the dog. After that I work from home at night and the dog (and starting today the cat) riam the house and i try to give then all the attention they want during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniellevee View Post
    My dog refuses to go on walks! Lol we do play catch but she tires of that easily. The only games she likes to play really is wrestling and tug of war. Both games are aggressive so I try not to play them too often. Even when we wrestle I try to make it more of a petting/belly scratch game. It still makes her growl and nip (never bite) and I have to stop the game at that point. She's not an aggressive dog and I don't want to turn her into one lol.

Right now after my son goes to sleep I give the cat like half an hour of undivided attention then do the same with the dog. After that I work from home at night and the dog (and starting today the cat) riam the house and i try to give then all the attention they want during that time.
    I admire the way you treat your cat and dog. It's nice to hear about people making sure that they've given their pets ample attention.

As Alpha mentioned, it might be jealousy or to be more objective, dominance and territorial behavior. It seems that even when you simply play a game of wrestling with her, she nips and bites you. She's not supposed to do that to people and such behavior should be corrected so you can enjoy her company and not feel like you'll end up with a nipped hand or bruised arm. A consistent and firm "no" should lessen this.

As for the cat, your dog might be feeling that her territory is being invaded reason why she's acting the way she is the moment the cat arrived. It's a good start to give each of them enough attention. However, once she shows an inkling of aggression to the cat, make sure to correct it before it escalates.

If "No" doesn't work, then use a tool like a spray bottle with water and say "No". Eventually, you won't need the spray bottle. Dogs who aren't generally cat-aggressive will eventually y grow comfortable with the new pack member in due time so don't forget to be patient.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.