Living with someone else's dog.. Rant

Living with someone else's dog.. Rant

So here is the story. I am currently living with my my boyfriend's family since we just moved into town in Colorado Springs from Arizona for his new job.. Funds are low so after a couple paychecks we can afford our own place. For now, living with his parents, little brother and older sister. Full house.

His sister's dog is a massive 200lb "Bernadane" (St. Bernard/ Great Dane). Although he is very friendly and adorably gigantic, I am starting to become super angry with his manners and how he is being cared for. The family lets him beg while they eat dinner, petting him while their plate is in their lap, then get angry when he licks their forks, and yell at him to go lay down and of course he doesn't listen because it is the same thing everyday, affection during mealtime and never following through when telling him to lay down. I tried to give them advice to follow through with telling him to lay down to not beg and only give treats and affection after mealtime, but they don't listen. So I have to watch this massive dog beg at them every mealtime.

Second thing, the dog has occasional seizures so he takes a medicine for it that has a side effect of weight gain. He is probably 40lbs over weight from the looks of it. Yet he doesn't get walked often at all... He lazes around all day. Because of his weight his joints are sore and creaky which he is prescribed pain pills for that he is supposed to take once a day. I suggested giving him fish oil because it has really helped dogs I've known with sore joints, yet they never give it to him and just watch him as he stumbles around the house.

Lastly, that St. Bernard coat of his... They never brush him. I find it sad that he has masses of hair all on him keeping him hot yet they never brush him so I have taken to that duty. I have begun brushing him daily, filling a grocery bad of hair everyday.

Just really angry about his behaviors during meal time and the fact that he isn't exercised enough or brushed by his own owner..

That sounds like it is very much fun at all, I'm sorry.. But I think you should contact someone to help you help them and the dog. It sounds like the dog would be better off under anyone else's roof.

All I do is give them advice, but they don't really listen. And living with someone else definitely isn't an option. That dog adores his owner.. He gets separation anxiety every time she leaves for work and runs all over the place wagging his tail when she gets home. He loves his family, I just wish they exercised him more because now that I live here I feel like I need to do it because he's heavy from his medicine side effects and lack of exercise.

I wouldn't mind walking him every day, but his behavior on leash isn't good, therefore I would have to teach him leash manners first and the manners would be ruined every time they walk him. And his behaviors at meal time are certainly annoying to watch. He listens to me but not them. If I tell him to go lay down while we eat he goes away from me and to someone else and when they say go lay down he ignores them and ends up licking their plates and they don't even follow through with teaching him not to beg. Every time I mention how to make his manners better, they agree but don't really care about his bad manners.

It's just really annoying to me because I train and work on behaviors with dogs for myself, family, and friends and I always get good results, but they just don't CARE to work on his behaviors, they think it's fine. And as someone who wants to teach people and dogs how to behave with each other it's so GRRR!

It's nice that you're willing to walk him and train him. If I had to live with a dog like that, I couldn't help myself, I could never ignore that behavior either. Maybe when the owner sees the positive results from the training you're doing, it'll be a wake-up call to her, and she'll follow suit. We can only hope and dream, huh? Some people think that loving their dogs means spoiling the heck out of them, even if it has a negative effect on their health, like obesity...these folks have to see the light, and come back to their senses.

Yes we can only dream! Haha. It also won't be easy teaching a massive 200lb dog to not pull me through the door! Haha. He is definitely over-spoiled. I will do my best to show the family good examples of a well behaved giant!
    He is the beast! Mind you, I am 5'10". >.<

Good luck Naturegirl, you have your work cut out for you, lol! He is a big boy , but a fine lookin' fella, can see that he was easy to want to spoil, especially as a small puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturegirl View Post
    All I do is give them advice, but they don't really listen. And living with someone else definitely isn't an option. That dog adores his owner.. He gets separation anxiety every time she leaves for work and runs all over the place wagging his tail when she gets home. He loves his family, I just wish they exercised him more because now that I live here I feel like I need to do it because he's heavy from his medicine side effects and lack of exercise.

I wouldn't mind walking him every day, but his behavior on leash isn't good, therefore I would have to teach him leash manners first and the manners would be ruined every time they walk him. And his behaviors at meal time are certainly annoying to watch. He listens to me but not them. If I tell him to go lay down while we eat he goes away from me and to someone else and when they say go lay down he ignores them and ends up licking their plates and they don't even follow through with teaching him not to beg. Every time I mention how to make his manners better, they agree but don't really care about his bad manners.
    I know how you feel. I know how it is to live in someone else's home and have to deal with their rules and not yours. It's hard but you just don't have a choice. Since it is their house, there's not much we can do. All we could do is work our way so the dog favors us... that means more bonding time and training.

The good thing is they don't disagree with you or contradict with you which means they're basically giving you permission to train him the way you want him to be trained. If he's not a good walker, start with getting a tool that will help you. It may be a Gentle Leader collar or a harness with the clip on the front side of the chest. The more he trusts you as his constant companion, the more respect you gain from him which will make correcting him easier... especially during meals.

I know they ignore him when he licks their plates, but do they HAND him the food? Because that's a lot more difficult to deal with.

I think it is good that you are helping with the dog, and I am sure that the walks will do him good. He is an awesome dog, and definitely a huge one. I have actually used a small halter on a dog of that size when they don't have good leash manners, and his neck is so large and furry, that even a choke collar is not going to affect him much if he doesn't want to listen. A calf halter is good because they are flexible around the nose part, better than a pony or colt halter is . Another halter that will work, if the feed store has one, is a llama halter. Just go to the feed store, and see what they have that will fit him.

Also, Jeffers is an online tack store that has all kinds of livestock equipment, and vitamins as well, so you could probably get the fish oil for him there cheaper than at the farm store. I think it is called Jeffers supply, or something like that, but a search should bring it up.
    If they see an improvement in his health, maybe they will even continue it after you move.
    The halter would also work at mealtimes if they don't want him eating with them, but it sounds like they encourage that, so that may just be something you have to accept until you can move to your own place.

AW what a beautiful big dog, its a shame they dont want to teach him manners,good on you for doing the best you can for him while you are living there.

Good news!

The mealtime behavior is actually getting better. They give him vegetables as treats, because of his seizures and weight he can't eat "regular" dog treats. He gets carrots and zucchini. They used to feed them carrots as we all sat to eat (wonder why he begs, right?), well I suggested don't give him carrots until after we eat so that he learns to respect us during mealtime. WELL they listened! They don't give him carrots during mealtime anymore and he is starting to learn his boundaries and lay on his pillow during mealtime instead. (:

Another thing, idk if it is because I brought it up so much BUT, his owner is walking him everyday now! And even telling him to wait before walking out the door so he doesn't drag her through the door anymore.

I wonder if it's because she saw how much he respects me when I ask him things. Maybe she got jealous of how he respects me and is really trying now. Whatever the reason, I am happy! And so is the beast named Zeus.

Kudos Naturegirl for making such a difference in such a short time! Once she realizes that not only is she happier with a more well-mannered Zeus, but he's happier too, she'll be grateful you intervened. They really need a leader, don't they? They want to please, and be shown what is expected of them, by a confident human.

Yes I am happy for the dog. Doesn't change that the owner is a total "B" towards me though. Maybe I should work on HER behavior. Hehehe.

Good that you're training the dog, forget the human, they don't depend on you for guidance.

Haha, that's very true NatureMan.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.