How to Help Your Local Shelter

How to Help Your Local Shelter

I just read this article in Petfinder about helping your shelter. I just wanted to share it here and add some more.

There are many ways to help your local shelter. In fact, it doesn't really need to be in forms of cash. You can help your local shelter by volunteering, fostering or even sharing your skills such as blogging and posting pictures of their latest adoptables. If you're up for a challenge, you could try hosting an auction or an activity where all proceeds will be given to them.

As for supplies, you can start by donating cat litter or dog/cat food. Treats will do, too. Paper towels, old newspapers, sanitizers and even office supplies will also be of great help to them.

Old blankets, towels and used toys (gently used toys) are also fine. If you're pet's old bed, brushes, bowls, collars and leashes are still okay, you can give those away too.

I would add to this that if you're going to donate food or litter, you might want to call your shelter first and see what they have the most need of, and what brands they prefer to use. While it's awesome to want to support your shelter, it doesn't do any good to donate something they can't use and just have to throw away (such as poor quality food, or even good food if it will reach its expiration before they get to it). In my experience, what they tend to need most is volunteers. There are always animals to exercise, kennels to clean, dishes to wash, and paperwork to help catch up on.

I volunteer for my local shelter for a few days every month, I've been doing it for years, though I hope around different shelters a lot just to
    give myself a view of the other ones. They really do need volunteers the most out of everything you could help them with. I also sometimes
    will go and post the animals that are soon to be put down on websites like craigslist in hopes that someone will go and adopt them, sometimes we get lucky!

Dry food is always greatly appreciated by rescues as it tends to have a longer shelf life than tinned (although tinned will never be sniffed at)! We also appreciate collars, leads, bedding and toys. There's so much anyone can do and fundraising is always needed! We love new and interesting ideas on how to raise money that will draw people

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinch7 View Post
    Dry food is always greatly appreciated by rescues as it tends to have a longer shelf life than tinned (although tinned will never be sniffed at)! We also appreciate collars, leads, bedding and toys. There's so much anyone can do and fundraising is always needed! We love new and interesting ideas on how to raise money that will draw people
    People do need to know that a lot of shelters typically don't take just any dry food though. I've had plenty of people stop by with a big bag of dog food, only for us to have to decline their offer.

Good to know, our rescue will take whatever food people want to donate. We will always have a dog that make use of it, and if not we donate it to the council pounds to feed the dogs serving their 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpix View Post
    People do need to know that a lot of shelters typically don't take just any dry food though. I've had plenty of people stop by with a big bag of dog food, only for us to have to decline their offer.
    Quick question, may I know why this is so? I'm curious.

Our local shelters generally accept most dog foods as it is far better to feeding the dogs leftovers (which I must say is still the norm in our country for mutts and mongrels). Unfortunately, it is sad that it's only mostly purebreds and mixed breeds that get to enjoy good quality dog food. The average family still rely on leftovers to feed their dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinch7 View Post
    Good to know, our rescue will take whatever food people want to donate. We will always have a dog that make use of it, and if not we donate it to the council pounds to feed the dogs serving their 7 days.
    I am actually wondering what they feed the dogs in our local pound. I've gone there and it is sad that the cages the dogs are kept in are sometimes too small for their sizes. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of budget alloted to the pound because there are more pressing problems in this country such as poverty and homeless/jobless families. There are shelters here as well, but they can only take as much.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.