My Vet Rant

My Vet Rant

We always hear how dogs hate the vet. It's normal to not like the vet... but I feel that I really need to switch vets.

I had Chooey brought there today and it's just my luck that the vet who tended to her was the one I disliked. Once again, she reasons that she won't shave Chooey's muzzle because it might add to the stress when in fact she barely checked Chooey up. We were due to have her bandage changed and that's what she did-nothing more, nothing less. She didn't ask how Chooey was doing nor did she check the fractured area. I am also wondering why she didn't even make an effort to shave the muzzle. Perhaps Chooey really doesn't like this vet.

It made me wonder why she's in this profession when it feels like she's not into it. Am I over-thinking it or is switching vets the right decision?

I would request only to see a vet I did like or go somewhere else all together. Why stress a dog out more by having them treated by someone who clearly doesn't like them? Dogs can feel that energy from people.

I agree with NClady. If there's a vet there that you do like, then request them when you make appointments. If there isn't one you like there then I agree that you should find somewhere else, as it will only stress the dog if they can sense the vet whose supposed to care about and take care of them medically doesn't like them.
    I hope you can find somewhere or someone that you and your dog like better!

Yeah, I would think she's not right for the job. While everyone has their bad days and slacks.... checking a fracture during a change is important. How was your experience with her before?

I use the same vet for our dogs, they are a little high priced for our area but worth it based on how they treat us and our pets.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawprints View Post
    Yeah, I would think she's not right for the job. While everyone has their bad days and slacks.... checking a fracture during a change is important. How was your experience with her before?
    Well, the previous vet who I can no longer find was awesome. Whenever we would drop by for an exam, she would look at both dogs and charge for one. There were many instances that this had happened. She also doesn't charge us when she asks us to bring the dog (say next week) to see how well the dog is recovering. Once I brought Buchi so she can check his blood blister. I also brought Chooey to have her checked as well. She checked both of them and only charged me for one dog.

She's also really nice to Buchi as Buchi doesn't like a lot of people.

As for my experience with her before, she got impatient and let out her frustration when Chooey wasn't cooperating for the x-ray. The dog was in pain. Of course, she'd squirm! She didn't bandage Chooey's muzzle on the day that it was supposed to because Chooey was extremely irritated and wouldn't want to have her muzzle touched by this person.

But what's more disturbing is since Chooey was ultra sensitive, when she injected Chooey an intramascular med and Chooey kept screaming and squirming, she didn't pull it out immediately but left it there while Chooey was squirming. After 10 seconds, she pulls it out. WTF! You stuck the needle to the dog for 10 seconds and left it there only to pull it out again!?!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.