If You Had a Pet Cam...

If You Had a Pet Cam...

So our home is set up with a lot of CCTVs, which is ironic since this is just a simple home. Still, it has its advantages, especially when you're all cozied up to sleep and the dogs bark like there is no tomorrow.

Rather than coming out of the room to see what the commotion is all about, I'd simply open the laptop, log in our DVR and check what goes on through the screen. Often times, I would see them tumbling at each other, barking at a cat or barking at nothing at all.

Would you constantly check your dogs if you had cameras inside your home? And if so, would you leave it on so you can keep an eye on them on one corner of your screen while using your computer?

I don't think that I would need to have a webcam to see what the dogs are doing..... Mine are usually snoozing either on my lap, or right next to me on the cushion they have on the little couch. Now, when they go outside and bark, it would be good to know if there is actually something out there or not, but it would take a night vision camera to tell because once they are out from under the carport it is totally dark out there.
    I am eventually going to get some of the solar powered motion-activated yard lights, and then we can put them up on the edge of the carport, ad looking down the driveway. That is where Tootsie always runs to and barks , and if the spotlight came on, it would scare away any raccoons, or whatever she might be barking at out there, or we could at least see if there really was anything there or not.
    I think they have the outside driveway cams that have nite vision , so if we had one of those, and I could see it from my iPad or the computer, I would look at that though.

I don't think I'd need a webcam in my house, if I'm home I can keep an eye on the dogs myself and like to spend time with them when I'm home. A webcam may encourage you to spend time away from your dogs because you can check on them without physically being with them.

We have always joked about having a "doggie cam" set up so we can see what he gets up to overnight lol

Believe it or not, this is something my husband and I discuss from time to time. Our dogs are generally well behaved when we're around, but if we leave the house for more than a few minutes, we risk coming back to torn down curtains and the contents of the kitchen trash can scattered all over the living room floor.

What I'd love to do is set up a webcam and speaker so I could correct the dogs verbally even though I'm not physically there. I couldn't do this all the time, but eventually I think that just the idea that Big Brother might be watching would keep them from getting into trouble, even when we're not physically present.

Most of the time, I'm sure I'd just be watching them tousle and nap in a heap on the sofa, although I probably wouldn't get any work done that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Disapyr View Post
    Believe it or not, this is something my husband and I discuss from time to time. Our dogs are generally well behaved when we're around, but if we leave the house for more than a few minutes, we risk coming back to torn down curtains and the contents of the kitchen trash can scattered all over the living room floor.

What I'd love to do is set up a webcam and speaker so I could correct the dogs verbally even though I'm not physically there. I couldn't do this all the time, but eventually I think that just the idea that Big Brother might be watching would keep them from getting into trouble, even when we're not physically present.

Most of the time, I'm sure I'd just be watching them tousle and nap in a heap on the sofa, although I probably wouldn't get any work done that way.
    That is clever. To correct them even when you guys aren't there. I once caught them messing with the wooden furniture while no one was watching. When they heard me approaching, they immediately laid down like innocent little darlings. But once I left, they started sniffing the wooden cabinet again.

The first time I was able to successfully sneak up on them was priceless. They were guilty and all they could do was stare and wag their tails.

And yes, there are instances that I don't get things done when I catch them doing funny things as a pack.

It would be interesting to have a pet cam to see what happens when we go out,i think most times they sleep but a couple of times we have come home to ripped up dog bedding,we have set up a recorder in the past,but havent heard much barking or noises.

My dogs are never really away from me so I wouldn't get a chance to see anything on it that I don't already see. Although when we head to the beach next month, it would be nice to see what my house\pet sitter is doing with my animals.

I'd honestly be scared to see what they do when I'm not around LOL! Especially in the case that I'm far away, if they get the urge to chew something important up and I have to watch without being able to stop it While they may not chew much of anything anymore, it would still be absolutely horrible if it happened haha

Hahaha I would be screaming at the screen "put down the iPad!!"

Quote Originally Posted by NClady520 View Post
    My dogs are never really away from me so I wouldn't get a chance to see anything on it that I don't already see. Although when we head to the beach next month, it would be nice to see what my house\pet sitter is doing with my animals.
    If you don't mind me asking NClady, may I know how much a pet sitter is paid? I was just curious as it's not an occupation here in our country... or if it was... I guess such responsibility is left to the help.

Quote Originally Posted by haopee View Post
    If you don't mind me asking NClady, may I know how much a pet sitter is paid? I was just curious as it's not an occupation here in our country... or if it was... I guess such responsibility is left to the help.
    It depends on whether they are licensed, bonded, and insured and where they live, also whether they are house sitting too or not. The average per thirty minute visit is 20 dollars around here from a licensed company, that's for the first dog. Each additional dog is 10. Cats are 10 per visit with each additional cat being 5. If I were to go this route, it would cost me 210 dollars a day, because Pete walks at least three hours a day. They also have additional fees for bringing in mail, scooping poop in the back yard, turning on lights, watering plants, etc. The pet fees only include taking care of the pet, watering it, feeding it, taking it out, playing with it, cleaning up messes, etc. some even bathe the dog at the end of the last day for you. My grand total for all I would want done for a week is 1500 dollars. Actually I take that back, what I would want is for some one to be at my home with my animals 24/7.
    Thats why I hired my cousin to do it. She's a college student who works part time on the weekends. She is willing to stay at my house for only 200 for the full week. She won't walk Pete like I do, but at least someone will be here.

I'm a pet boarder here in the UK & the company I contract to does sitting and walking also. An over night stay in my house will earn me 10.00 for the first dog in the family & 3.00 for the 2nd and any additional dogs in the same family. Pet/house sitting pays me 50.00 flat rate for every 24 hours and dropping into a home during the day will earn me 8.00 for every half an hour spent. Dog walking is the same rate as pet/house sitting, but the 2nd and any additional dogs from the same family are paid at 2.50 each.

We have a couple of cameras and sometimes its fun to see what dogs are doing, but it's especially fun to watch how the cats take advantage of the situation if we are not there, such as evident by the amount of counter surfing that goes on! The dogs are just resting usually.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.