It's hot here today(!) - got me thinking about keeping my dog cool & happy in the sun

It's hot here today(!) - got me thinking about keeping my dog cool & happy in the sun

It's really warm here in Wales today, and the sun has blazing all day. My dog & foster pup are having a great time in the garden but getting very hot and bothered so I'm making them come inside regularly for some shade and quiet time to cool down.

It got me thinking about the best ways to keep our furry friends cool in the heat (and what NOT to do - my well meaning Mum used to put a towel dowsed in cool water over our long coated terrier years ago, which I now know is not a good thing to do as it doesn't allow the dogs coat and skin to breath, but sprinkling or spraying some cool water on the pads of their paws only can really help).

I always put some ice cubes in the water bowl to keep it cold, and make sure it's somewhere shady in the house away from windows or direct sun and give my dog ice cubes or fruit flavoured ice pops (a rare treat) to help. What do you do to keep your pet cool in summer?

Some tips from the RSPCA about keeping your dog cool & the warning signs of heatstroke - http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanim.../dogsinhotcars

And just for giggles (although great tips too) - http://www.buzzfeed.com/frostypaws/1...ol-this-summer

​And remember - dogs die in hot cars! Please don't leave your dog in a car at all when it's hot, windows down or not - it's just not worth the risk.

I freeze a Tupperware container of water so I have a big chunk that doesn't melt as fast for their outside water and their inside bowl doesn't stay full long enough to get warm. I swear I refill that thing at least a dozen times everyday. On really hot days, Pete carries ice in his wet back pack on our walks.

I like the container of water idea, I think I'll try that. My dog & all fosters are all inside dogs so don't have an outside water dish (no need - if they are in the garden the door is open for them to walk back into the house) & as they are so small I only have to refill the bowl twice a day, to make sure it's fresh. It never gets empty!

The summer haircut is a big thing for long haired breeds. Chooey's hair is kept short when it starts getting hot, especially since Shih Tzus have double coats (and yet I still don't know which is coat 1 and coat 2).

There's this new product where you put something on the chest of the dog like a harness to keep them cool. It's like an ice pack that could be inserted at the chest area.

Love the picture of "7. Bring them to the lake!"

Frozen homemade treats.

That sounds interesting Haopee - I'll have to research that, and if it was something that could be used during walks. My dog loves his exercise but at the minute we're waiting until later in the evening when it's cooler before going out, because I don't want him to get heat stroke in this sun!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.