Oh joy, fireworks season!

Oh joy, fireworks season!

So it's that time of year again, at least for the US members.
    Nearing the fourth of July comes fireworks!

And while I love a good firework show and setting them off as much as any other 19 year old, I can't help but worry how the pups will react. Shadow was terrified of them, but that was also partially because of his fear of any loud noises, and Rex was none too fond of them before his hearing started fading.

So it will be interesting to see how young Zoe and Luna react, and to see how often I'll be needed to calm them during firework showtimes in the area; wish me luck! And the best of luck to other owners of dogs that have either never experienced fireworks or hate them with a passion.

On the other hand, tonight is the first time of them sleeping in the camper in rain. They're highly confused at this moment though they're taking it better than I thought since they aren't fond of rain. They've proven to adore the camper though so that's good, less of a transaction when we go camping with them eventually if they're used to the camper before hand!

I feel your pain - here in the UK firework season is November & then January. It was hell last year - people without dogs just don't see it the same way as us with fur babies. My lovely neighbour (no sarcasm - she really is lovely lol) didn't warn us that she was having garden fireworks a few nights before "Fireworks Night", so me being unprepared, had my dog & my very nervous foster girl out in the garden for a toilet when a rocket game shooting over our garden fence, exploded above them and landed in my back garden!

My dog was panting and pacing all night, whenever fireworks where going off & my scaredy foster took about a month to regain the confidence to go in the garden/

I do highly recommend a longer than usual walk in the evening (before it gets dark) and then a dinner of cooked pasta (plain pasta, but I mix my dogs wet food with it). The food and the long walk make them sleepy and lethargic, much less likely to get stressed. I also block all the windows and set up a den (a crate covered with blankets) for them to sleep in if they feel safer there

In my neck of the wood, we hunt and shoot guns for fun a LOT. It's a daily thing, so the loud noises never really bother any of the dogs. They grow up around it. I will say that the sparklers freak dale out for some reason. As soon as you light one he is behind me if I don't have one or in his house.

I can imagine that was a hectic month as she regained confidence, did the neighbor apologize for the incident? I would have been beside myself if I had accidentally done something like that. I am glad to hear that the foster did eventually regain confidence though.

Thanks for the idea; I haven't thought of using pasta before, and I'm sure the dogs would love it mixed in with their food. My family has always blocked out the windows on firework nights, but putting blankets over their crate is a good idea too; I didn't think too much of that, I'll have to try that too. Thanks for the advice.

Ah, that's good they're used to the noises. We don't live in an area where gun shots are all that common, as the closest thing to sport with firearms is an indoor shooting range a few miles away; so our dogs are rarely around such things. Sparklers of all things? That's actually kinda funny; at least he has his house to retreat to! Sparklers were actually the one thing Shadow was fine around, that and bonfires; just anything that made loud noises he was immediately out of there and hiding, usually in the basement.

fireworks have been banned here because of the amount of people being injured by them, they are only used for special celebrations,but that hasn't stopped the odd idiot letting them off when they feel like it just about every Saturday night someone lets some of those really loud ones off around here somewhere,our poor shepherd is so terrified that she is even scared of jets flying over now.

My dog is very fearful of fireworks, thunder, electronic insect zappers, and gunshots. We just came back from a vacation in the camper, and both the dog and cat had a good time. No thunder or gunshots for the dog, so all was relaxed. People in my area will light firecrackers and fireworks for any occasion. We already heard some for the Memorial Day weekend, and my Hans was not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Plex View Post
    I can imagine that was a hectic month as she regained confidence, did the neighbor apologize for the incident? I would have been beside myself if I had accidentally done something like that. I am glad to hear that the foster did eventually regain confidence though.

Thanks for the idea; I haven't thought of using pasta before, and I'm sure the dogs would love it mixed in with their food. My family has always blocked out the windows on firework nights, but putting blankets over their crate is a good idea too; I didn't think too much of that, I'll have to try that too. Thanks for the advice.
    No problem I was frantic approaching fireworks season last year, because I had that scared foster and was so worried about her house training and confidence being set back by all the noise. I took lots of advice from other volunteers in our charity and those are the things I found worked best, for the scaredy girl and for my confident dog too.

My neighbour never did apologise, but has promised to give me a bit of warning next time, so I can make sure my dogs are inside. I was furious when it first happened, but once I'd calmed down, I understood that as a non-doggy person you don't really think about things like that so I suppose I can't blame her. At least it won't happen again now!

Puce used to be very scared of fireworks and thunder. The answer? I put on loud music (usually I hate it loud!) and she didn't really notice the bangs.

Seven will sit and watch them without fear, Dobby however hates them.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinch7 View Post
    No problem I was frantic approaching fireworks season last year, because I had that scared foster and was so worried about her house training and confidence being set back by all the noise. I took lots of advice from other volunteers in our charity and those are the things I found worked best, for the scaredy girl and for my confident dog too.

My neighbour never did apologise, but has promised to give me a bit of warning next time, so I can make sure my dogs are inside. I was furious when it first happened, but once I'd calmed down, I understood that as a non-doggy person you don't really think about things like that so I suppose I can't blame her. At least it won't happen again now!
    Sounds like the advice worked, yes? And that's good that she'll at least give you a warning next time. It is understandable though, neighbors here without pets such as dogs don't think about them when doing things like that either.

And LPC, that's a good idea too; the dogs and cats here at least are used to loud music in the living room.

We are just starting to hear the first of the firecrackers going off near us as well. The good news, is that we live in the rural area at the edge of town, with woods between us and the nearest houses, so we should not be having any really loud fireworks here.
    My Peke mix just HATES any loud noises, heads for a safe place as soon as it thunders, even before it gets close, and she especially dislikes any kind of fireworks, so she will probably be spending most of the time inside for the next month. Of course, it is getting hot outside, so the dogs are out in the early morning, and then pretty much inside by the fan during the heat of the day.
    Chipper does not seem to care about the noise of thunder , or firecrackers, either. But then, he is always right beside me, so he probably does not feel threatened.
    Even though I enjoy the Fourth of July holiday, and watching fireworks, it would be just as happy not to have firecrackers going off all the time, myself.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.