Fear of Dogs?

Question Fear of Dogs?

Did anyone here ever have a fear of dogs, or know someone who does?

I was afraid of dogs as a young child. It didn't matter how small or large the dog was. I also know some people who, as adults, have a fear or feeling of discomfort around dogs, regardless of their disposition.

I was bitten by a dog when I was about 4 and had to have stitches in my lips thankfully I can't remember much about that, but about six years ago I was opening our back gate for when our daughter came home from work and a couple of dogs came in the yard and were wanting to attack me I screamed for help and my hubby came out and scared them off with a broom, it was the most scariest day of my life, poor hubby he was recouperating from a hernia op at the time, which didn't help him much.It took ages for me to open the gates after that unless I had a carving fork in my hand incase they came in again, but I never saw them again after that.I still love dogs though.

It's scary when they threaten you on your own property, where you should always feel safe. A couple of aggressive stray dogs went after mine one morning when he was fetching our newspaper, I was able to get him inside and scare them off with yelling. My hubby came to my rescue too, but thankfully he wasn't recovering from surgery. Hope your husband is doing well now.

Ah, Alpha1, you beat me to this post! Good idea

I grew up with an intense fear of dogs. I had a paper route when I was 11 or 12 (somewhere in there) and I remember this one house at the end of one street where there were always a bunch of dogs, and it just terrified me so much that they never got their newspaper. Nope, NEVER! I was so scared of those dogs because they were always barking and looked so vicious. One time my dad went to the house to try and talk to the people there about my problem (probably to explain why they weren't getting their paper), and he ended up bit pretty badly. So I guess my fear in that instance was justified, but it expanded to all dogs.

I really only started to get used to the idea of dogs being "not so bad after all" last summer, when I jumped into working on a farm with a lady who owned nine or ten dogs. She took in the ones that needed a little extra Tender Loving Care, so they were mostly elderly and/or had some kind of health problems that needed tending to. I'm not sure what drove me to choose that farm (I knew getting into it that there would be a lot of dogs there), but I'm glad I did. I learned to love dogs during those few weeks - well, those dogs at least.

I think it was a matter of enough time gone by since I was younger and so terrified, and a little bit of maturity mixed in. I faced my fear, and made ten new friends. ^_^

I've only had 3 people ever act afraid of my dog.

One time, a mailman (I know, how cliche) told me to restrain and then remove my dog from the premises since she was sniffing his ankles and greeting him. She was being 100% friendly, if a little nosy, but thats just how she is. He threatened to mace her, so I threatened to take his mace from him and use his own mace against him to see how it feels to mace an innocent creature. I've been maced. It really, really, really sucks. Its worse than being tased in many ways.

Second time, a police officer did the same thing, but I didn't threaten him because jail food sucks. I just let that one go, even though I was really thinking the same threat at him really really loudly in my head.

Third time one of my own friends was kind of antsy around my dog, and would avoid her at all costs... really seemed peculiar to me. He wasn't allergic, he just didn't like dogs. I also found out he doesn't put any condiments on any food ever. I don't care what any of you say, that is just plain weird.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.