Savannah Cats

Arrow Savannah Cats

I saw a show on cable TV about Savannah cats. They are not allowed to be owned in every state in the USA, and I believe they're banned from being owned in Australia.

These cats were beautiful and very wild looking. The ones on the show were around 25 pounds in weight, and all muscle. They had a long stride, and were shown jumping very gracefully from a shelf near a high ceiling. The woman owned a male and a female, and they had a few young ones.

They referred to the kittens as cubs in the show. They were intense, and would growl and pant. I don't think I'd be comfortable sharing my home with a cat so wild. If it didn't have a gentle disposition, you'd be in trouble. If they attacked a neighbor's pet, they would most likely kill it.

Here's a wikipedia article on them, but they don't really show any good photos of the breed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savannah_(cat)

Ah, wow - what a beautiful creature! There were a couple of photos on Wikipedia that I thought were quite good, but perhaps I just don't know what you saw on TV. Definitely on the wild side, being only half-domestic cat. I love learning about new creatures and breeds of creatures I never even knew existed.

Some pictures I came across from savannah-cats website.

willow20.jpgprisi2a.jpgpandor1.jpgprisi1.jpg

More on Savannah cats. http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2017/08/10/savannah-breed.aspx

• On a scale of one through five of cat characteristics, the Savannah breed gets a solid five in several categories, including adaptability, intelligence, energy level and affection
    • If you're considering one of these exotic cats, please locate one from a local rescue, not a breeder.
    • Savannah kitties enjoy being with their human family members, taking walks, sleeping with you and reminding you if you get distracted of how clever they are, as playing jokes on you are not out of their realm of understanding
    • Being highly sociable and easy to care for, these kitties get along well with others, including other kitties, friendly dogs, children and even people they’re not familiar with

They look like bengals only bigger and very very expensive. Price for one of these is around $3500. Wonder if Orri would like one for a playmate. Most every hybred is sterile not just cats, thats one reason they are so expensive, the ancestor of the savanah is the serval. Servals are very aggressive, they can't be taught to use a litter box and belong left in the wild
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Price is based off conformation to the breed standard, temperament, demand and scarcity. When a Savannah Cat has traits inline with the breed standard they are of higher value as a pet or breeder. Breeders are obligated as TICA registered members to provide registration papers, age appropriate vaccinations and retain kittens until the age of 10-14 weeks, which is costly. The basic rearing cost of a registered pedigree kitten results in adoption prices over $1,200 (This goes for all pedigree cat breeds). F1 & F2 generations have very small litters once a year, sometimes going long periods without birthing. This drives up the adoption cost of those generations.

• F1 Savannah Cat
      • Pairings extremely difficult, very low fertility, small litters
      • Price: $17,000 - $22,000

• F2 Savannah Cats
      • Pairings difficult, low fertility, small litters
      • $6,000 - $10,000

• Lower Generations (F3-F6)
      • Pairings standard, medium fertility, moderate litters
      • $1,200 - $4,000
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I'd never own one regardless of price, I don't even think they're allowed in certain city limits. A bit too wild (and big) for me.

Bengals aren't allowed in some states either, Conn. is one. They probably have a temperament similar to a bengal. But some people have tried to keep the serval as a house pet and that didn't end well. It was fine as long as they were kittens but as they got older they were much to aggressive to continue to be kept as pets. They could not be litterbox trained and were just to wild so they were put in a cage to live outside and finally were surrendered to a zoo or some rescue and eventually released back into the wild.

Restrictions on Savannah cats. http://www.lequoiacats.com/HybridLaws.html

maybe they ought to be as strict with puppy mills as they are with hybred cats

I agree, all puppy mills should be shut down in every state.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.