My kittens are tormenting my dog

My kittens are tormenting my dog

When my little dog is in my lap my kitty Josh(11 weeks old) will come over and smack her or bite her or even sit on her or lie down on top of her.. when he does this I put him on the floor and he comes right back up and does it again and continues until she has had enough and leaves then he goes to sleep in my lap or goes and plays. My past kittens and cats usually avoided my dogs but he seeks her out constantly to smack and bite, i'm not really sure how to stop this and now my other kitty Josie is starting to do it too. My dog is very patient and wouldn't hurt a fly but it's not right and the poor girl is so tired because they won't leave her alone. Any ideas on how to put an end to this would be greatly appreciated.

I would just have a couple of those feather wands handy around the house, by the couch or wherever you sit with the dog. They are still just kittens, and should be easily distracted, get them distracted, then throw them a mousie or busyball to continue their play. Good not to let them get into the habit of harassing the dog at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I would just have a couple of those feather wands handy around the house, by the couch or wherever you sit with the dog. They are still just kittens, and should be easily distracted, get them distracted, then throw them a mousie or busyball to continue their play. Good not to let them get into the habit of harassing the dog at all.
    I have been doing that but it's not working too well, they either ignore the toy all together or play with it for a second and then go right back at my dog. I am trying to keep them away from my dog like at least a few feet away which works pretty well until I leave the room! lol!

Does the dog bark or growl at them if she's left on the floor with them to fend for herself? I know my dog only had to give one or two warning growls for my kitten to back off from his food for good...and he's not an aggressive dog at all...but they have to communicate in their own way to each other to set boundaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Does the dog bark or growl at them if she's left on the floor with them to fend for herself? I know my dog only had to give one or two warning growls for my kitten to back off from his food for good...and he's not an aggressive dog at all...but they have to communicate in their own way to each other to set boundaries.
    No. My other dog does so they leave her be but the little one Hailey will not she just sit there and lets them do whatever.

Maybe Hailey will stand her ground, is she's not held very much by you for a week or so, and is on the floor more doing regular doggy stuff. They are less likely to be consumed with her, if they become more familiar with her. Is she wearing anything around the house, or bows in her hair, that will draw the kittens also.

I will give that a try. She usually has hair bows in or a hair clip to keep her hair out of her eyes but no she hasn't been wearing clothes or anything, I don't dress them in the summer because it's too hot. She was actually playing with them a bit this morning, they were chasing each other around but then Lily got excited ad started blitzing so that was the ed of that. When Lily blitzes everyone runs for cover! lol!

I would definitely use one of those small cat nail clippers, and clip the pointy tips off of both of the kittens nails, that way at least the dog won't get any serious eye injuries, or deep scratches to the nose. Also, doing their nails when they're young, helps them to get used to the routine, and it will save you from damage also.

I have found that a little spray/squirt bottle with just a tiny dab of vinegar and filled with water is a great deterrent , and if the kitten is coming up to harass your little dog, and she is having her turn snoozing on your lap, if you "sssss" at the cat, and then squirt him, Josh will soon get the idea that he needs to leave when you hiss at him, or he is going to get squirted.
    Once he learns that he can not just jump up and harass the dog until she gives up and leaves, and that he will be disciplined for even trying, it should lose its attraction for him, and he will only sit on your lap when it is his turn.
    Animals can be very possessive sometimes, and about all that can be done is to make sure everyone has their own turn, and they learn not to interrupt when it is not their turn.

Question to the OP, despite necro-thread.

Did you ever solve this please? I am currently in the position. Again, my dog is soft and patient but she is being bullied regularly (more than daily) by the kitten who charges up and wants to play fight. The dog will sometimes - just lying there and snapping bites in mid air all round the kitten as she seems to fight hard but is little luckily.

Did yours grown out of this, did your dog eat them or leave home or did you find a solution. Kinda stuck here!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.