Anyone Using Small Animal Nail Clippers on their Cats

Question Anyone Using Small Animal Nail Clippers on their Cats

I misplaced my little cat nail clipper, and I need to get another one. I remember someone here saying that they used a small animal clipper on their cat, less chance of cutting the quick, and easier to just cut the tip off. Anybody using something like this, if so what kind?

Well, went to 2 pet stores today looking for clippers and came home with a pair of cat nail clippers. The ones I looked at for smaller animals and birds were no smaller than the cat ones, in fact a couple were larger, with bigger holes for the nail to fit into. Even the woman at the store was surprised at that.

I know this thread is old, but when Housemouse mentioned her Mr. Mau, I remembered it. I ended up finding the original clipper I had, so now I have two. I prefer using the one with the smaller hole, less chance of my cutting Loki's quick.

He doesn't like to get his nails cut, but he's not too bad at all. I just wait for a time when he's already mellow and relaxed, maybe napping. Then I clip the tips off of as many nails that I can, until he gets too figety. I kind of remember which paw I got what on, and the next time I go from there.

His back nails stay pretty well rounded, so I don't do them as often. He uses his little scratchers sometimes, and is a pretty good boy...no destroying furniture, etc. I do have a few holey tee-shirts though, lol...probably all cat owners do.

Hi, Alpha!

May I know what kind of clippers you use for your cats? I'm a little curious. Our big dogs have different clippers than the smaller ones.

This is the type I use for the Shih Tzus and Peke.

This is the one I use for the bigger dogs.

They are just like the black one on top, only smaller. One has a brand name on it "Four Paws", the other one has no name.

I think I've already mentioned that we adopted a new dog. The owners couldn't keep her so she emailed me if I knew someone who would want a Peke.

Unfortunately, the Peke has nails that curl into her pads. The poor thing haven't had her nails cut because she didn't want anyone to touch them. I'm still trying to figure out how to make cutting her nails a stress free activity. Any tips?

P.S. We've cut 2 out of the 6 curled in nails.

So nice that you adopted a new girl Haopee, what is her name? I've heard about how painful it can be for them to have them curl into the pads, poor baby. I don't think it will ever be stress-free, but if she's food driven, a helper can distract her with a treat while you do a nail or two. Good luck.

I have several pairs of dog toenail clippers, one like the scissors-looking pair, and one with the little hole you have to fit the nail in. I hate both of them ! !
    I finally just started using an old pair of my toenail clippers on Chipper. He is a 6 lb Yorkie-Poo; so his feet and toes are pretty small. The toenail clippers work better, and are so much easier for me to use besides.
    Since they slide on from the side, they would probably work on the curled under nails of Haopee's new Peke, as well, just as long as she is not too large a dog to fit the clippers on her toenails.
    If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans. James Herriot

Quote Originally Posted by Happyflowerlady View Post
    I have several pairs of dog toenail clippers, one like the scissors-looking pair, and one with the little hole you have to fit the nail in. I hate both of them ! !
    I finally just started using an old pair of my toenail clippers on Chipper. He is a 6 lb Yorkie-Poo; so his feet and toes are pretty small. The toenail clippers work better, and are so much easier for me to use besides.
    Since they slide on from the side, they would probably work on the curled under nails of Haopee's new Peke, as well, just as long as she is not too large a dog to fit the clippers on her toenails.
    Hate the curled nails. I just try to take it two at a time, after bath where her nails are really soft. Hers are reallycurled to the paws, they stick to the pads.

Unfortunately, she's not food driven. She likes to chase after a ball... something I don't want to do while cutting her nails because she won't let me hold her again.

Well you can also visit to different grooming clinics for avoiding such kind of work. as People those are in grooming clinics they are expert as well as they have all the equipments with them as well.

I have several pairs of dog toenail clippers, one like the scissors-looking pair, and one with the little hole you have to fit the nail in.

I use smaller toe nail clippers on my cat which are different from what I use on my dog.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.