EMERY CAT - Nail Filing Scratcher, Does Your Cat Have One?

Question EMERY CAT - Nail Filing Scratcher, Does Your Cat Have One?

This sounds like a pretty neat scratcher if it helps to trim your cat's nails as it promises. We trim Loki's nails with a little clipper, but it takes two of us to safely do it. Is anyone using the Emery Cat scratching board for your cat? If so, do you like it? https://www.emerycat.com/

Our cats absolutely LOVE this thing. There are a few drawbacks to it for their humans though, some of which might be deal-breakers.

First, the performance...It keeps nails shorter, for a marginally longer time, yes. I'll give it that much credit. However, what seems to happen is the tips get sharper rather than rounding down like they would with "natural" wear. I have to wrestle the girls down and trim them on a regular basis anyway, so the Emery Cat does not eliminate the need for claw trimming. That was my original hope also but if anything it increases the need to trim.

Next...they are not very durable. It only takes a week or so before the cardboard base is starting to leave bits of shredded paper in little piles all around the board. Maybe that's because I have two cats using it frequently throughout the day on a daily basis. If you change the direction from time to time to give the cat easier access to less-abused sections, it wears a little more evenly. I let them use it until there's practically nothing left of it before changing out the refill board. Since the girls get annoyed with changes, I change the board out every three months, and usually by that time it's mostly bare, so it probably should be changed more often.

The mess is annoying but since it's just dry cardboard and not generally enticing to eat, it doesn't tend to end up in hairball piles and can be quickly picked up with a vacuum or hand vac.

Cost...yes. There is an ongoing one. I can't buy the refills locally, so have to order them online. They were about $14 if I remember correctly, for two replacement boards when I bought them last. You may be able to get a deal on the refills on Amazon if you can't find them locally.

Now...the good things. All of these might be kitty personality related, but here goes. As noted, my cats absolutely LOVE this thing. They play on it, scratch on it, stretch on it, and now and then sleep on it, and that's without the toy that comes with it (a cheap feather thing that is vanquished in less than 90 seconds) or the catnip (which is usually stale).

This thing seems to completely satisfy their urge to scratch. I catch them stretching in door frames sometimes, but not scratching. They don't go after the furniture or carpet. That COULD be their personality, but back when I had a floor to ceiling scratching post for them, they'd still go for the furniture once in a while.

The arch seems to be the exact correct angle to stretch against, and since they can hook their claws in the board, they can arch and stretch and twist all they like. As I noted, I do see them stretch up the door frames, but that and the Emery Cat seem to take care of stretching. They do the Halloween Cat yoga pose a bit more when awakening, but that might be age related.

It's small. It doesn't take up anywhere near the space of a traditional scratching post or a kitty condo arrangement. It can be tucked into a corner and get plenty of use without being in the way.

So, to summarize...Does it do what it says? Not so much.
    Do the cats use it? Oh yeah. They love it. It's their favorite toy after my toes.
    Would I have bought it knowing what I know now? Probably not.
    Would I give it up short of having it run over by a truck? Not a chance!

Interesting, thanks for the feedback Trace! I thought it would eliminate claw trimming, if it may make their claws sharper as opposed to rounding down...that doesn't seem too good. I have a cheap little carboard type Kong scratcher, my cat uses that now and then, but mostly uses it for a body pillow for naps. He goes outside for short periods, so he also scratches on the trees in the yard, that helps. Guess I was hoping to eliminate clipping altogether with one of these Emery scratcher, guess you'd be a millionaire if you invented something like that, lol.

Sadly, no, I don't think there's a product yet that will eliminate the need for trimming. I've often thought that if I could get them to walk on a leash the way the dog did, taking them for walks on the road might do the trick. We almost never trimmed the dog's claws because the walking kept them worn to a good length.

I wonder...would a sandpaper treadmill take care of exercise and claw trimming?

Probably, but not worth the chance (or effort), IMO.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.