Miracles and your dog

Red face Miracles and your dog

When my dog was just 5 months old, I had the scare of my life. I woke up one morning and my dog was making weird sounds and throwing up. I thought that maybe she just had something caught in her throat. Not even 10 minutes later she began to have diarrhoea and blood in her stool. The smell was like nothing I had ever smelt before, it was unbearable to see her like this. I immediately called her vet and they said to rush her in. I called a friend and asked him to meet me there as I had moved from the area the vet was in and a cab was the only way I could take her. When I arrived, my friend paid the cab and I rushed her into the vet. When I first took her in, the vet nurse said it smelt like Parvo but I told her that she had her vaccinations for it. I was so scared and since I had this dog since 5 weeks old, we had and still have a bond like no other. So they took her into the back and told me that I had to pay some money down so that they could start the care she needed. I was so broke, I had nothing to give them. My friend gave them the only money he had, $300. They told me that I would have to leave and I could call and check on her. They told me to prepare for the worst but I just couldn't. It felt like my only friend in the world was in so much trouble and there was nothing I could do. I tried to visit everyday, they would just tell me how she was doing and I would go home. Closer to the end, the vet told me that they had taken X-rays and there was blockage in between her small and large intestines. They were going to open her up and see what they could do. I cried so hard and told the vet that I could not afford to pay for it and I couldn't lose my dog. She was my everything. He said " At this point, lets just save her" I sat in the little pen with her and cried and prayed. A nurse finally told me that I had to go home. That was the hardest thing I ever did. I went home and I prayed and prayed. Anxiously I waited for the vet to call, when they did they told me that there was nothing there when they opened her. They had given her a diaretic to flush her out the night before but nothing came out. They also told me I could take her home the next day and I did. The vet gave me the bill $2200 and didn't ask for a cent. I was told that she may not survive and to expect the worse again. I went to pick her up and took her home. She ate some lamb burger boiled with rice and took her meds. The following day Bailey was back to almost normal.
    I love my dog and I am so happy that I still have her by my side, it is truly my best friend.

If you have some miracles that you have experienced with your pet, please share.

That must have been soo scary, I can't imagine going through something like that with my cat. Thankfully I have never had a similar experience. That's wonderful that your dog is still kicking - how old is she now?

My dog just turned 3 in December, she is my life. I don't what me and my fiancée would do without her. I am so lucky the vet saved her and didn't leave me with the bill. Miracles do happen.

Yes, you certainly have an awesome vet that genuinely cared for your dog even when you couldn't afford it! Thanks for sharing your miracle :-)

Thats a lovely story demac80 and Im so glad all ended well for you.
    I don't have any miracles with my dogs yet.

Truly a miracle! You're so loving, had a loyal friend to help, and a big-hearted vet that was more concerned with the dog's life...can't ask for more than that!

This is a miracle story about my girl dog that crossed the bridge last summer. We had just lost a female dog to cancer, and were still grieving her loss, but we were ready to fill the hole in our hearts with another girl puppy.

Sigi (Siggy) was the only surviving puppy from her litter. Her two brothers were killed as babies by another dog owned by the breeder. Sigi was right with them, in the nursing bed, but she survived, and that was our little miracle. We felt it was fate that she was there for us, Hans was from the same parents but was around 2 years older, so he was her big brother.

She had many health problems, including hip dysplasia and epilepsy. We were blessed to have her and give her all the care she needed and a loving home to spend her days. She would sleep every night between our pillows, or mostly on mine. We were glad because she was happy and comfortable with us, and led a full life. Here's a picture...

Sigi.jpg

My dog is a miracle dog in many ways...

First off, she was almost killed before she was born on a highway. Her mothers previous dropped her off on the side of the highway while she was like 2/3rds of the way through her pregnancy. She popped out a 5 puppy litter and we gave 4 away, but decided to keep the smallest one instead of the biggest one. For one, at the time, no one in our house was particularly interested in a pet at the time because we were (still are) incredibly poor and didn't want to take on the financial responsibility of raising a pet, but she was so cute, so lovable, and so fluffy, we decided we just had to keep her for a little while at least. Well, that little while has turned into the best 8 1/2 years of my life. In many ways my dog and I have a unique relationship. It was like we were just meant to gel together. She taught me that I do have the capacity to love other creatures after all and that I am capable of being loved in return, in a stronger and more meaningful bond than even with my parents or siblings in many ways.

Shes dodged death quite a few times. Shes tempted death since she was a little puppy, by eating all sorts of inedible/sharp things (lots of tummy aches and a couple trips to the vet), and one time she some how managed to get behind my computer when she was only about 8 months old, and she got REALLY tangled up in the wires. I mean, it was like a cartoon almost, but she was really strangling herself trying to get out, and luckily I walked into the room and I heard her faint whimpers and after I figured out where the hell she was I frantically ripped all of the cords out of my computer and freed her and made sure she was alright.

Whats really messed up is that not even a week later the exact same thing happened AGAIN. After that I walled off my computer until I was able to teach her to not go near it. I think she was attracted to the warmth and vibration of the fans, and was looking for a good nesting spot and almost died. This may be a good warning to other people if you keep your computer box on the floor under your desk and have wires hanging out the back area of your desk.

Two other times she dodged death were about 3 years ago, we were walking around the block at 3:00AM in the dead dark of night, and we were just about to cross this street when all of a sudden this @$$#*(& in a pick-up truck came veering around this blind corner JUST as my dog stepped of the curb into the street and came literally 12 inches from being instant road-kill. My heart skipped a beat, and I actually got pretty enraged, I'm not going to lie, I went a little over-board. This idiot was delivering crappy local news-papers at break-neck speed, and since he entered a cul-de-sac, I knew he'd be coming back out, so after I shuttled my dog to the other side of the street safely and told her to sit/stay, I waited for him to come heading back towards me and I jumped out from behind this bush I was using to hide behind and whipped a golf-ball sized rock at his windshield as hard as I possibly good and spider-webbed it up pretty good, then I ran over and grabbed my little girl and I took off sprinting into the darkness of my neighborhood and hid out in some guys tool shed until I could make it home safely. Its 3 years later, and I haven't seen him deliver any news papers in my neighborhood since.

McPuffin I probably would have done the same thing. I am not someone to mess with if you mess with dog or now dogs. I get mad when people walk too close to my dog staring in her eyes and then get all pissy because she barks at them. I mean what do you expect, you are threatening her. Dogs are so valuable and so many people just don't care. IMO I think that people should realize the value in them. They are our friends, protector and angels.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.