Puppy potty training problems

Puppy potty training problems

It is an irrefutable truth that puppies need to eliminate many times in a day. Younger dogs take time in learning when and where to eliminate. It is hence, essential to understand the conduct of dogs and potty train them accordingly. Some of the major puppy potty training problems are:

1. The frustrating part is the communication difficulty while potty training of puppies about where and when it is suitable to eliminate. Puppies must to be trained in such a style, that they discover quickly from mistakes.

2. Too much of penalty and punishment in case of eliminating indoor won't work. The owners must first know that dogs do not distinguish between indoors and outdoors to do the act of elimination. This will leads to puppy potty training problems.

3. The problem of submissive urinating in dogs is usually seen when they get thrilled or greet people. It could also show up when the possessor is distress with the dog activities and can be an obstacle in potty training.

4. The male dogs are fond of marking their area and territories and it could turn into a major obstacle in training puppies for potty. They may feel endangered to go out of their marked area and could build up a feeling of uncertainty. Thus, it can create problems in potty training.

Although it can be hard to crate your animals for long periods, crate training is one of the best potty training methods. They strengthen their bladder muscles by being in the cage and not urinating, etc, and most dogs will not go to the bathroom in a confined area that they are in (ie; a crate...). Patience and persistence is the key

That's why it's rather advantageous to spay or neuter dogs when they are still puppies (about 3-6 months). Territorial marking behavior usually arise during their sexual maturity. Intact dogs are more inclined to do the marking behavior than altered ones.

you prune the way it should grow.

Just helping you out from personal experience, you must be patient and time your puppy's potty hours, like for example you can make sure it only pees or makes faeces at 7:00am morning, and 6:00pm evening, but as i highlighted, you should make sure for at least a month, your pup is outside where it needs to be, to do what you wish he does, the timing people!!.. is everything. You might have to religiously get up early and do that, to make sure he's there at the peeing spot, and the trick of this trade is, keep the spot far from sleeping area, relatively in an uncomfortable zone so that the puppy knows that the discomfort is just for a reason, do that till he starts barking for you to take him there, or till he automatically gets himself ready, then one fine day, dont get up, wait for him to get impatient, and dirty his place, show him the stink!,make him sniff it then hit him gently on the face, to show your disapproval,keep doing this for 3 days, fourth day, the pup will ask you to take him out, infact beg you!! l

Quote Originally Posted by ashis123 View Post
    Just helping you out from personal experience, you must be patient and time your puppy's potty hours, like for example you can make sure it only pees or makes faeces at 7:00am morning, and 6:00pm evening, but as i highlighted, you should make sure for at least a month, your pup is outside where it needs to be, to do what you wish he does, the timing people!!.. is everything. You might have to religiously get up early and do that, to make sure he's there at the peeing spot, and the trick of this trade is, keep the spot far from sleeping area, relatively in an uncomfortable zone so that the puppy knows that the discomfort is just for a reason, do that till he starts barking for you to take him there, or till he automatically gets himself ready, then one fine day, dont get up, wait for him to get impatient, and dirty his place, show him the stink!,make him sniff it then hit him gently on the face, to show your disapproval,keep doing this for 3 days, fourth day, the pup will ask you to take him out, infact beg you!! l
    I disagree with some of the things you've said. I've successfully house/potty trained all of my dogs over the years. Rather than using a set time, I always brought the pup outside first thing in the morning, immediately after he wakes up. Then I stayed in the yard with him, as I showed him the areas to go potty, while staying there with him. As soon as he'd do his business, I gave him gentle praise and pettings.

Then, immediately after a feeding, for pups at least twice a day, I'd take them out to relieve themselves, had very good results with that method. I had newspapers in the kitchen, so if the pup started to go anywhere else, I'd catch him in the act, gently yet quickly pick him up, place him on the papers and tell him that he goes there. When they use the paper on their own, I praise and reward. The papers were just an insurance policy so they wouldn't soil the house, but ultimately they were trained to go to the bathroom outdoors.

Waiting for them to soil their place, then making them sniff it after the fact, then gently hitting him on the face to show my disapproval is the worst thing to do IMO. I don't want my puppies begging me to go out for fear of punishment...I stay with positive training...period.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I disagree with some of the things you've said. I've successfully house/potty trained all of my dogs over the years. Rather than using a set time, I always brought the pup outside first thing in the morning, immediately after he wakes up. Then I stayed in the yard with him, as I showed him the areas to go potty, while staying there with him. As soon as he'd do his business, I gave him gentle praise and pettings.

Then, immediately after a feeding, for pups at least twice a day, I'd take them out to relieve themselves, had very good results with that method. I had newspapers in the kitchen, so if the pup started to go anywhere else, I'd catch him in the act, gently yet quickly pick him up, place him on the papers and tell him that he goes there. When they use the paper on their own, I praise and reward. The papers were just an insurance policy so they wouldn't soil the house, but ultimately they were trained to go to the bathroom outdoors.

Waiting for them to soil their place, then making them sniff it after the fact, then gently hitting him on the face to show my disapproval is the worst thing to do IMO. I don't want my puppies begging me to go out for fear of punishment...I stay with positive training...period.
    How do you teach a pup to prefer the outside potty area than the paper. Chooey was first paper trained before teaching her the outdoor ways. She does it outdoors but she's accustomed to using the paper that she'd rather think the entire world as her home and the paper is her bathroom.

Since she sleeps on the second floor, we usually bring her downstairs during the daytime to have some play time with Buchi. Buchi's potty area is the small yard that's beyond the outdoor kitchen. Chooey rarely poops or pees there. She'd rather claw on the small door and go back to the 2nd floor to use the paper potty area.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.