Removing dog urine from outside wooden decking

Removing dog urine from outside wooden decking

Hi all,

I have two awesome Bassets who like to use my wooden decking outside as their bathroom. This is fine for me as it is the furthest point from the house so we can't smell it in the house. We don't have any grass, just a paved patio leading up to the decking. However around some favourite spots of the decking, you can smell the urine while standing up there. This is obviously worse when the weather is damp due to the uric acid crystals that have been left behind in the wood redissolving. I want to get rid of this so that I can reseal the decking properly to stop it becoming water logged and rot, and stop this problem from reoccurring.

I clean up the solids every day on both the patio and decking. I also clean the patio and decking once a week with a pressure washer to keep any smells at bay and remove any residues, and use Jeyes fluid once a month on the patio to completely kill whatever is left there. The decking, however, still smells strong at times as obviously I'm not killing the bacteria or removing the uric acid.

I have a few ideas of what might work given what I have read and heard. I was thinking of using biological washing powder/liquid dissolved into warm water and soaking the decking with this prior to using the pressure washer (just to be sure that any residue is washed away). I have also heard that adding bicarbonate of soda helps remove the smell (is it bicarb or baking powder?). Also, I have seen a few people saying to use NON-bio, but surely it's the biological powder/liquid, as this contains the enzyme's required? Also, could using biological solution be harmful in any way to the dogs? I wouldn't think so as I was told by an employee in a large pet shop chain that this is what kennels use, so I guess this solution would be useful on the patio too instead of the Jeyes.

I have also read that a mix of white vinegar, baking soda and water (maybe some lemon) can remove the smell, but I'm not too convinced by this, as I've read that a specific enzymatic cleaner is also required to complement this solution. This is not an ideal option as these tend to be quite expensive and the decking is big enough. I have this stuff for in the house (for upholstery, rugs etc) and it's great, but pricey.

Does anyone else use something different that works well? If the biological washing powder/liquid option is a winner and safe, then I plan to keep a premixed bottle ready and apply it immediately when either dog eliminates outside. I try to encourage them to go as much as possible when out on walks, but obviously this isn't 100% effective, and I don't want to be responsible for fouling public areas and just giving someone else my problem.

Thanks in advance!

When I was selling carpet cleaners, the owner showed us how to use bleach solution with hot water, and he said that would kill the bacteria that caused the smell to keep coming back. If it was a light carpet, this worked fine, but on a dark carpet, we used vinegar. For a deck, I think you would be able to use bleach.
    I have read about mixing vinegar and soda, and it would maybe work, but it is going to foam and bubble when you mix it up, so be prepared, if you decide to go that route.
    Another thing that will help with the smell is called Odo-Ban. You can get it at Walmart, and just spray it on after you have cleaned the deck. You just put it in a spray bottle and spray the deck. I think you can even buy it in the spray bottle.

I'm with Happyflowerlady. When I was potty training Peanuts, vinegar was my friend. Actually there even came a point where I used strong odored vinegar just to keep them away from the place. (I had to potty train 4 more dogs after Peanuts and the vinegar was their to stay).

Vinegar works both ways. First, they break the enzymes in the dog's urine. They are also good deterrent because of the strong smell. And the nice thing about it is that the strong smell often goes away within the day. Our floor was only made of marine plywood back then, and I had to place an electric fan in front of it to air it out. I am sure vinegar will be more cost effective on your deck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.