Best dog breed for babies?

Best dog breed for babies?

My sister is hoping to get a dog. She just had a baby, he is only a year old. What are the most gentle dog breeds? I know dogs are usually loving sweethearts as long as they're raised well, but is there a breed that almost always stands out as amazing for small children?

For a young child like that, a smaller or medium size dog is probably better, but larger breeds such as German Shepherds and Labrador Retrievers are known to be good with children. I would probably lean more towards an Australian Shepherd, Boston Terrier, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, French Bulldog, Beagle, SharPei, Cocker Spaniel, mini Poodle or Schnauzer. Of course a mixed breed of these types of dogs would also be good.

If she'll be buying from a breeder, it's good if they have children of their own, that the pups have become familiar with. If adopting, even an older dog that has experience with babies or children is good. She should probably want a dog that's easy to train, and not too energetic...with a one year old, she may not have time to give the dog adequate exercise and play if it's very active.

I think a medium size dog is excellent for small children. Too large, and they can knock a little child over, just by a careless wag of their tail, and it is usually wagging.
    Too small, and they are fragile,and easily hurt when a baby grabs them by the hair, and apt to learn to nip, just to protect themself.
    Shorter hair is also safer around babies, since they will try to grab the dog by the hair, and even if the dog is okay with it, you don't want the baby choking on dog hair.
    Long hair is ok, if kept groomed.

My personal choice would be a Poodle cross. Poodles are an extremely smart dog, second only to a Border Collie. But they are usually very sensitive, so a cross with a more laid back dog helps. I really like both Shorkies and Schnoodles.
    I have a friend that raises Schnoodles, and she has 5-6 kids of all ages, and the dogs and kids do great together.
    Schnauzers are not only smart, but extremely loyal and protective dogs.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.