The amazing Afghan Hound

The amazing Afghan Hound

image.jpg

This is a dog that you seldom see, and when you do, it is usually one that belongs to a movie star , or another celebrity. They were really popular back in the sixties, but have almost vanished , since they are a very high maintenance dog.
    Afghans are a totally unique dog, with a disposition like no other dog has. They can easily jump out of your 7' fence, and then run 10 miles down the road, just for the fun of it. They will then happily go in the first house with an open door that they see, lay down, and make themselves completely at home.

They could care less if they please you or not, and, in fact, one of their favorite games is to have you and the kids all chasing them down the road to catch them. They will wait for you catch up, and then take off again just before you can get your hands on them. When they get tired of playing with you, they just plop down on the ground and wait, wearing a "wasn't that fun ? " look on their face, and then walk along nicely all the way back home.
    Yet, once you have one, and fall in love with the Afghan Hound, you will love them no matter what. They are just so unusual, and wonderful in their own way.

You have to keep them brushed every day, their hair is like fine silk, and tangles with the least movement. The hair along their back is called the saddle, and you comb it with a fine tooth comb to keep it short.
    They are the most exotic dog ever, and will look like a breeze moving through a wheat field when they are brushed.

I went into a friend of a friend's house in the 60s, and he had two Afghans. They were beautiful dogs, but I didn't get to pet them. They stayed with him on the other side of the room, I think he trained them to be guard dogs, so everyone kept their distance. They looked well cared for, so that was good. I'm at a big dog park all the time, and it's true, I rarely, if ever, saw an Afghan there.

Hey Happyflowerlady, you own an Afghan right?

Do they require daily brushing?

I've actually never seen an Afghan with exposed legs before. I was wondering if owners never cut their hair short like they do with Shih Tzus. I love how they look but I don't know how they fair well in hot climates. I've never seen one before here.

Haopee,I have had Afghan hounds before, I don't have one now, but they are truly wonderful dogs . Since the puppies are pretty short hair until they are almost a year old, I imagine that you could keep them trimmed short if you wanted to, but they are so beautiful and exotic with all of that long flowing hair, that it would be a shame to cut it all off.
    I think it gets pretty hot in Afghanistan, where they are originally from, but I really don't know how they do in a hot climate . Even though their coat is long, it is extremely soft and silky, and lightweight , plus you keep the hair along the saddle of their back very short, so I think they might do okay even with the heat.
    They DO require a lot of grooming, I brushed mine every day, and the hair is baby-hair fine, so every little thing sticks to it.
    Even if you kept them trimmed short, things would still get stuck in the hair since it is so soft, but it would take a lot less time to brush it out.
    You need a 10' fence, they can easily jump over a 7' fence if they feel like it, and run like a greyhound .

Wow. Ironic how they originate from a relatively hot climate even though they have long hair. I wonder if they're more tolerate to heat than Huskies who's capable of keeping the cold or warmth inside their fur.

Is there a black Afghan? Just wondering...

These gorgeous dogs come in a variety of colors. I have seen the silvery blonde ones, black ones, and the unusual brindle color, which is one of my favorite colors. They look like a silvery cloud when they move, with all that hair floating out behind them.
    The black ones are beautiful also.
    I looked through the videos on YouTube, and this seemed like a good one to watch. It not only shows some of the colors they come in, it shows both adults and puppies, and you can see them in action running.

http://youtu.be/lyWSeI7DcAc

More photos here.

Kevin Chan, the owner of probably the most stylish dog in the world, a three-year-old Afghan Hound AJ Nirvana Battle, has already spent more than 100,000 Chinese Yuan so far (15,000+ US dollars) and 6-8 hours per week trying to keep his petís fur fabulous every single day.

WOW! Pretty dog!
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Wow! They are sure nice!

Whoa!! That's a beautiful dog, but holy cow, look at all that fur!

I'd lose cats in there.

Hugs

Saav
    http://www.petforums.com/showthread....of-Stony-River

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

they have hair, not fur, so like humans it will keep growing until its cut
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Interesting. Is a specific hair length required in dog shows?
    An inside cat is a safe cat.

Whenever I see an Afghan it reminds me of a woman with long hair

Quote Originally Posted by mechi2 View Post
    Whenever I see an Afghan it reminds me of a woman with long hair

Thats it!
    I love pets and I love Silky!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.