Bored, anyone have questions?

Bored, anyone have questions?

anyone? Or, anyone know of a similar forum that is bigger and more active at the moment?

I have a question...how do you keep a dog's beard from getting all matted and tangled without constant brushing. My dog is an earth dog, and he likes to get into anything dirty, pine needles, leaves, debris, whatever. It also seems that he gets pine tar in his beard from the pines and spruces we have in the yard, or the ones we're around when we camp in the woods. He's over 11 years old now, but his beard gets less and less, as I'm always cutting out the clumps. Also, he fights me all the way during any grooming, pulling the opposite way, leaning, looking away, etc. Any advice??

Also, this forum is young and steadily growing, so it won't be bigger for awhile, but there are great people here who love their pets (and other animals), who make the discussions very real and sincere...means a lot in my book!

My friend's dog is old and has a lot of big soft lumps on him, like tumors. He has a couple of harder small ones on his legs by his knees. One or two was tested for cancer years ago, but the told my friend it was just fatty tumors. Now the dog has a lot and mostly on one side of his body. My friend doesn't want to spend a lot of money at the vet so he's hopes it's just normal and not cancer. What do you think, do they get more as the dog gets old? What are the chances they are cancer? Thanks for a reply.

As for your schnauzers beard, unfortunately there's not much you can do to keep it from matting other than brushing and combing. They typically hate brushing so I see the problem. You can try a detangling spray to help make brushing easier on both of you.

Cancer is always a concern. But, its very common for older dogs to get more "lumpy" as they age. I wouldn't worry about them unless they are bothering the dog

Quote Originally Posted by 4RottyGirl View Post
    As for your schnauzers beard, unfortunately there's not much you can do to keep it from matting other than brushing and combing. They typically hate brushing so I see the problem. You can try a detangling spray to help make brushing easier on both of you.
    Thanks, I tried a leave in detangler for people once, and the results weren't that great, also didn't like to use anything so heavily fragranced. I'm not too anal about how perfect he looks, but I do want him to feel good about his beard and not have any resulting irritated skin underneath (which I never see). I told hubby that I'd like to shave his whole beard off, but that's not an option.

Chipper gets things in the hair around his nose also. He is a Yorkiepoo, so the hair is similar to what your Schnauzer has, but probably not as long or thick. Now that Chipper is getting older, I have decided that being comfortable is more important than appearances, and I keep it trimmed closer.
    As he gets older, the grooming seems to bother him more , and I don't like him being upset, even though it is not hurting him when I am trimming and grooming him.
    So, now, I just trim it shorter, and he doesn't seem to get as much stuff matted into the hair.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.