Shy and Afraid

Shy and Afraid

I'm having a problem with my younger sheltie. He just turned 2 and I've never had a dog who was so afraid of people as well as other dogs. Actually, he likes dogs more than people. I've tried socializing him, walk him all the time and our neighborhood is full of people walking their dogs, we take him with us when we visit friends and he still hides behind me no matter what. I'm thinking one reason is that before I got him as a puppy, he didn't receive too much human interaction. I know shelties are normally shy but not like this. He doesn't snap or growl, he just backs away and hides behind me. He's great with me but is even afraid of my husband. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Last edited by tn865linda; 10-19-2013 at 05:11 PM.

It's very bad when breeders don't properly socialize their pups if that is the cause, how old was he when you first brought him home? My dog was shy around people, she didn't hide behind me, but she didn't trust them and stayed away from them. There was one very kind older man in the park that was always there walking his old dog, he loved my two and she would go over to him and he would lovingly pet her...that was the only person she was friendly with.

Luckily she was close to my husband too, so it wasn't a gender thing. She was frightened to death of children. One time I had two very polite kids, around 10 years old, approach her for petting, they really wanted to pet her, even though I told them she was shy. Well, she pulled on the leash in a panic to get away, so I cut that experiment short.

It's also possible that a man handled him rough when he was very young, and he remembers that. I think over time he may warm up to your hubby, since he lives in his home...he may never overcome his shyness toward people in general though. Have you had him off-leash somewhere with other dogs, is he shy off-lead too? Sometimes they behave differently on and off-lead.

Never have had him off leash; mainly because of the way people around here drive. No dog parks either but we're supposed to get one, of there's money. We live in the country but in a subdivision.

My husband thought it could have been something that happened when he was younger with a man. I got the feeling that they were her dogs but he took care of shots, etc. I got him at about 8 weeks. Not a back yard breeder; just a lady who had a litter and needed to get rid of them. Shelties are not easy to find around here.

He will let children pet him but he is on leash. People go up to him, he smells them, then hides behind me. Getting better around the hubby but it's taken a while.

Maybe the dog park will help. He does get along just fine with cats and with Eli, my other sheltie.

Well, some dog parks that I've heard of are not good places at all for dogs, if they're small enclosed spots with not trees, etc. Some have the dogs too close and hot in summer. The one we go to is big and wooded in areas, the water pics and the ones marked dog park on page 2, and the snow pics on page 1 of my album, are all at the dog park we go to...http://www.petforums.com/album.php?albumid=2&page=2.

8 weeks is a good age...you never know if a man did something that frightened him. Good thing is that he gets along with cats and Eli. Maybe you can have a few play visits with a really mellow dog, in a fenced area or yard, and see how that goes. Definitely not one that's rowdy or dominant.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.