Random Cat Wont Leave Dog Alone

Random Cat Wont Leave Dog Alone

Hi Everyone! I am a newbie and signed up here cause I need some advice asap. First off, I need to tell you the story of “Trooper”. My parents dog.

Trooper came from a family who has him in crate all day and night locked up in a laundry room. They’d only let him out twice a day. They didn’t have time for a pet. We came across him on Craigslist and adopted him. He didn’t like being inside anymore (cant really blame him). So my parents fixed up their backyard, more grass, trees and a new gate.

He got a new dog house, new bed, kiddy pool for the summer and tons of toys and love. He loved his new home. They would try to bring him inside occasionally but he was miserable. So recently this cat came around. Theres a bunch of cats since my parents neighbors had two cats and guess what? Didn’t get them fixed so now their two cats have tons of strays around. They really don’t bug anyone. They stay in that area. BUT theres one, that lets you touch/pet him and what not. He’s skinny so I know he’s gone days without eating. This cat has totally invaded the dogs space. He started off when they’d hear his “meows” loudly at the front door. (Causing the indoor dog to bark all night as well). The cat made his way to the backyard and made himself at home.

Trooper cant even go into his dog house cause the cat is always in there. He even scratched up his bed!! We used to leave dog food out for Trooper to munch on through out the day but took it away once we noticed the cat. (He still gets fed!). One of my parents now has to stand guard while Trooper eats cause we have noticed the cat go near him and try to scratch his eyes and eat his food. Trooper doesn’t eat comfortably when someone is around (don’t know why) but we have to cause theres no getting rid of the cat.

My mom has tripped over him cause he’s always in the way. My dad tried wetting him, he comes back. We checked for a microchip, put fliers, asked around and he doesn’t belong to anyone. Trooper isnt happy anymore cause of this cat. We don’t want to turn him into animal services cause we know he’ll be put down. Humane Society is full and wont take him in, researched about 5 different volunteer groups who take in pets, theyre full and cant take him in. We asked around and no one wants to take him in.

My dad was considering him taking him away from their neighborhood. Would it be cruel to drive him (the cat) out into the country and leave him there? We are losing our minds and our dog is miserable (which isnt fair).

Yes it would be cruel, and illegal, to dump the cat somewhere else. Instead please take him to a shelter or rescue. (or perhaps your parents can take him in, have him neutered, adopt him and make him an inside cat! )

I would also get in contact with a trap/neuter/return (TNR) organization and have the rest of the cats spayed and neutered. The colony will only continue to grow, otherwise. Or speak to the neighbors about getting the animals spayed and neutered. I don't know how people can be so irresponsible. Of course it's the animals who suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by lorilou View Post
    Yes it would be cruel, and illegal, to dump the cat somewhere else. Instead please take him to a shelter or rescue. (or perhaps your parents can take him in, have him neutered, adopt him and make him an inside cat! )

I would also get in contact with a trap/neuter/return (TNR) organization and have the rest of the cats spayed and neutered. The colony will only continue to grow, otherwise. Or speak to the neighbors about getting the animals spayed and neutered. I don't know how people can be so irresponsible. Of course it's the animals who suffer.
    My dad is allergic to cats and we did call the humane society and theyre at full capacity. Theres about 5 different rescues here in my city and all of them are full as well (we recently had a hoarding case where a man had like 200 dogs) they took a lot of them in so every place is full. :/

I agree with Lorilou, taking the cat and dumping it off in a strange unfamiliar area is very unkind, and dangerous for the animal. Maybe if your father is allergic, you can find a friend, neighbor or other relative who would be willing to foster the cat until it can be rehomed. I'd definitely have a talk with the neighbor about fixing their cats, so no future litters are running around unwanted and causing problems. Maybe the surrounding cities have a no-kill shelter that would take the cat. You may need to get transportation there, but it would be well worth it, not only for your dog, but for the sake of the kitty.

TNR organizations for the win. You're probably right on saying that AC will euthanize this cat, especially since he's been a "nuisance" in the neighborhood.

It's good news that he hasn't hurt Trooper. Since you have considered driving the cat out of the country, consider bringing him to a shelter out of town (as Alpha mentioned) especially since the shelters around you are fully booked.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.