Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A Dog Crate is a Cage, Same As A Prison for the Pet

Unhappy A Dog Crate is a Cage, Same As A Prison for the Pet

Although I've learned over the years that some people use crates in a responsible way for dog training and control, many people abuse the use of their crates. The dogs are kept in there for extremely long periods of time when the owner is at work, or out doing other things that don't involve the dog. The crate is for the convenience of the owner...not necessarily for the benefit of the dog.

Then the dog is crated the entire night also. They are crated on weekends or evenings, even when the family is home, because the people don't want to invest the time to train them and keep them from getting in the way, or into trouble.

Too many times, dogs are crated as punishment, and when they soil their crates, they are pulled out, yelled at, sometimes hit, and then returned to the crate for some more 'prison time'. I personally have never used a crate for any of my puppies, and I don't ever intend to. Here's some arguments against the use of crates for dogs...

Shockingly, it is now commonplace for people who use crates to keep their dogs in them for upwards of 18 hours per day, according to the authors. Often dog owners fail to keep track of the total number of hours during which their dog is crated, but the hours add up: nine hours while the owner is at work (including a commute), another eight hours at night, any hours during which no one is home in the evening and on the weekend, and any time that company comes over or the dog is simply "underfoot."

Pro-crate advocates will say, "Yes, but a crate is just like a cozy den." Well, the truth is that dogs, wolves, and other wild canids are not true "den animals" in the sense that they don't naturally spend much time in a den. Wolves use a den for only eight weeks, right after their pups are born. Afterward, the den is abandoned. And since dens don't come with a locked door, there is no true scientific comparison between crates and dens.

Other promoters of crating will say, "But my dog loves his crate!" This statement defies logic and is not based in science. There is no animal on Earth who "loves" to be caged.

http://www.peta.org/living/companion...-a-prison.aspx

Sorry, but I am pro-crate training. It is not a punishment or a prison here. It is used to keep dogs out of trouble when I am not there to. None of my dogs have ever been crated 18 hours a day. People that do that should not own a dog.

PETA may not understand it, but Dale, my beagle, does actually love crates. He will run into any open crate he sees no matter where he is and lay down. A lot of dogs do grow an attachment of sorts to the security of crates. PETA of all organizations will not be the ones to convince me to deny what I have learned through first hand experience. I have never seen a dog who was properly crate trained as a puppy not use their crate willingly as an escape from feared things or just to sleep when the crate is left open for their own use.

I know you take good care of your pets NClady, and don't use the crate in an abusive way. But there are a lot of people that do, I knew one guy who had his little dog in her crate all day when he worked a full time job, then she was back in the crate when he went out again in the evening, again in the crate for the entire night...I can't feel good for dogs that are living like that. Lol, PETA does go 'over the top' on many issues, just happened to be an article that caught my eye.

18 hours!!! That's like forever. Even I thinks that's crazy. And this is coming from someone who sees dogs being chained up and caged all day. It is a harsh world we are living at. I do hope people see how a crate can dramatically change how a dog perceives his/her world and that it does contribute in honing their behavior. Not only is a crate a good training tool, it also makes for a good den to give them their own space when they need it.

As for PETA, well, okay.

We've never needed to crate our own dog (we adopted him at approx. 2/3 years with no real behaviour issues that required crate training) but whenever we set up the crate for a foster dog, our dog takes over and uses it as a den! We use crate training as a positive thing for the dog - the crate is set up with cosy blankets over the top & soft bedding inside. Our boy likes to sleep in it because it's so cosy!

a crate has its place, used for housebreaking or to keep it safe from getting into something harmful but not to be thrown in there and forgotten. Some dogs actually enjoy going in by themselves for a nap but with the door open. Once my dogs are housebroken and can be trusted not to get into mischief when left alone the crate is put away. I don't like using a crate but its a necessary evil that some times has to be used. Its almost impossible to housebreak a pup that isn't confined. If done right it doesn't take long to housebreak using a crate. I can honestly say it takes me about three weeks to train, not to the point where I'd leave them alone for any length of time unsupervised but after three weeks they are letting me know when they have to go out.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Linda, do you ever use newspapers or pads in the house for training, in case the pup can't make it outside?

Of all the dogs I've had (ever since childhood), I have never once used a crate. I would never consider using one, on principle. People like NClady may use them responsibly, but there are far too many who use them to cage a dog up for long periods.

I have never used puppy pads, you have to retrain to outside if you start using them. I just go the direct route and get it done and over with. Three weeks or so crated is a short time in the long run to get the job done and then the crate is put in the garage. They are not left in there constantly, just when I could't watch them every second. When out of the crate I would leash them to me that way I could catch them before any accidents could occur.

I am not a fan of crating but they do have their place and are useful for housebreaking or to keep a chewing puppy safe when I wasn't home.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Hi Linda. I start with paper training my dogs since we often travel. It takes me about a week to paper potty train the dogs. I just follow every single accident for an entire week. I guess that's a lot more difficult when you have bigger puppies. Once we're done with paper training, we go to doing it outside. So far, the transition hasn't been difficult. I use the blotted paper on top of the place where I want them to potty (already dried potty paper, of course). Eventually, the act of pottying outside the house just sticks.

It's only recently I've found the use of crates very valuable. Chooey loves her crate. With her, it's like giving a kid his own room. I've barely used it as a cage though.

I've had dogs that loved the crate but most of them don't. I've never had a problem with housebreaking, some people have an awful time but I find that to be one of the easiest things to teach. But I've always had shepherds and they are super smart to begin with. Cats are even easier, just show them the litter box and they know where to go. My siamese is not the brightest bulb on the tree, she doesn't cover, the bengal goes behind her and covers for her.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    a crate has its place, used for housebreaking or to keep it safe from getting into something harmful but not to be thrown in there and forgotten. Some dogs actually enjoy going in by themselves for a nap but with the door open. Once my dogs are housebroken and can be trusted not to get into mischief when left alone the crate is put away. I don't like using a crate but its a necessary evil that some times has to be used. Its almost impossible to housebreak a pup that isn't confined. If done right it doesn't take long to housebreak using a crate. I can honestly say it takes me about three weeks to train, not to the point where I'd leave them alone for any length of time unsupervised but after three weeks they are letting me know when they have to go out.
    While I agree that crate training has a place in some dogs' lives (if done right and not used in all the horrible ways mentioned) it is certainly not "impossible" for a dog to be house trained without one. I never even heard of crate training until a few years ago, and I know plenty of housebroken dogs who have never seen a crate.

The first time I ever heard of crating a dog was a family who used the crate constantly, it was absolutely horrible. Even when they were home, she was shut way in her crate in another room. This was because she "bothered them" when they wanted to watch TV. How on earth was she ever going to learn what was expected of her, shut away all the time? I raised holy heck but they didn't care, weren't even embarrassed about their attitude.

Eventually I read up on them and found out how they are supposed to be used.

nothing is impossible but a whole lot easier when the dog is crated and they fuss or bark to be let out and learn to associate that with going outside to piddle. A dog that has the run of the house if not constantly watched can find so many places to go where you don't see them. Its much easier to break a habit before it starts then try to do it after they are used to doing it. We all have our training methods, crating works for me, if you don't feel comfortable crate training that is your option.

Mine were only crated when I couldn't watch them, once they went out to do their business they were not put back in the crate. I only used it if I had to go somewhere and didn't trust them alone or if I couldn't watch them. As soon as they showed me they got the idea and let me know when they needed to go out they never went back in the crate at all.

A cage certainly has a place i.e. for transportation, as much for the well-being of the animal as anything, but how would it serve as a medium for training and bonding/provide the social interaction vital for a dog's development? It certainly isn't going to make for a happy, well-adjusted dog.

The golden rule for anyone entertaining the prospect of getting a dog is choosing a breed that fits one's circumstances and lifestyle. If there is deemed to be any sort of a 'need' (I use that word advisedly) to restrain a dog within a cage for anything other than transportation, certainly for a long period of time, then dog ownership (I use that word advisedly too) is probably not for you....
    Last edited by Knightofalbion; 03-15-2014 at 06:05 AM.

Many people use crate to punish their dogs. My friend has a lab who like his crate very much. He is always willing to enter the crate and sleep their.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.