Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

A Dog Crate is a Cage, Same As A Prison for the Pet

Quote Originally Posted by Knightofalbion View Post
    A cage certainly has a place i.e. for transportation, as much for the well-being of the animal as anything, but how would it serve as a medium for training and bonding/provide the social interaction vital for a dog's development? It certainly isn't going to make for a happy, well-adjusted dog.

The golden rule for anyone entertaining the prospect of getting a dog is choosing a breed that fits one's circumstances and lifestyle. If there is deemed to be any sort of a 'need' (I use that word advisedly) to restrain a dog within a cage for anything other than transportation, certainly for a long period of time, then dog ownership (I use that word advisedly too) is probably not for you....

if you think a dog that is not crate trained is just going to walk into the crate to be trasnported, good luck with that. He will fight you tooth and nail, he is going to try to get out, maybe hurting himself in the process. You don't leave them in there all the time, just when they can't be supervised. Do you want a puppy chewing a wire and electrocuting himself while you are gone for a couple of hours? They are ingenious little buggers and can get into mischief even when you are watching, never mind left alone.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I agree with Linda - no one is saying long-term crating for extended periods is in anyway good for the dog, and is in fact extremely harmful. BUT, when used properly, crate training is safe & highly effective for training puppies and even for older dogs with housetraining or separation issues.

The idea is to help the dog see the crate as a safe & fun place to be, so that they WANT to be in there. As Linda has said, in the case of puppies especially, but any dog that has a tendency to chew & get up to mischief it is 100% necersary to keep them safe and crate training is a great way to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    if you think a dog that is not crate trained is just going to walk into the crate to be trasnported, good luck with that. He will fight you tooth and nail, he is going to try to get out, maybe hurting himself in the process. You don't leave them in there all the time, just when they can't be supervised. Do you want a puppy chewing a wire and electrocuting himself while you are gone for a couple of hours? They are ingenious little buggers and can get into mischief even when you are watching, never mind left alone.
    I've dealt with this back when Chooey and I traveled. She was really stressed that she was placed in a crate when we went for a plane ride. Even though it was a mere 2 hours... she fell asleep instantly on my lap as we were picked up by the driver... Fortunately. after that incident, I made sure to incorporate the crate with sleeping... She now knows that the crate is a safe haven.

I have a crate to use at night for Tootsie and Greta, and they love it. Now that the weather is better, they are usually out in the yard all day, running and playing and having fun, or following us around when we re doing yard work. Once it is summer, they may even sleep outside in the dog house on nice nights.
    Since Chipper is old and delicate; and we don't want the girls roughhousing him, they have to settle down when they come in the house. After they have been out playing, or out for their last "potty trip" for the nite; then they come in and run right for their "bedrooms", and snuggle down for the night.
    Chipper always has free run of the house, and he has slept with me all of his life until recently. We got a bed that is further off of the floor; and I am worried that he might accidentally roll off during the nite (has happened a few times) and injure himself. After much deliberation and consideration of what would work; I got one of the little fold-up baby play pens (Play n Pac), and set it up right at the foot of he bed, so he can see me at night. I put lots of cushions in it for him and a warm blanket, plus his Elmo doll; and I give him a little (hotdog bite) snack when I put him to bed at nite. He seems to really like sleeping there, and knows he can't accidentally fall or get kicked when I move my feet at night, but he is still right next to me; so it seems to be the perfect solution, at least for Chipper.

My crate is in the garage, she is a big girl now and completely trustworthy and hasn't needed the crate in a couple of years. But...........I have a double bed and in this bed is me, her (82 pound shepherd) and two cats, one on each side of me. No room for me. I say "bed time" and they call come running for their spot.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Crate training is such a good idea, even when you don't use it much. Many vets now require that pets be brought into the office in a crate, and if the pet is hurt or sick, and left at the vet's office overnight , they will need to stay in a crate or cage; so it is much better if they are at least somewhat accustomed to it.
    We moved from Idaho to Alabama a few years ago, and we sold everything, got an older motorhome and traveled out here with our little dogs. I knew that they would have to be either in a crate on on a leash/chain most of the time; so about a month before we moved, I started training them.
    Every nite, I put them in the crates. ( I used the metal ones rather than the big plastic ones, so they could always see out, and we could see them at all times.) In the morning, I put on the harnesses and took them outside and tied them along the fence at spaced intervals, so they learned to do their chores on the chains. They went for walks on the leashes already, so that part was no problem.
    When we loaded up to drive out here, at first they kind of looked around, since they hadn't actually spent time in the motorhome before; but then they decided that they liked it, they could see us, and see out the windows, and they seemed to enjoy the ride.
    When we stopped, I would put the chains on each one, and pass the dog out the door to my husband, and he would go chain it up somewhere until we had them all out.
    The whole trip went well, we didn't have to worry about any lost or run-over doggies; but they were as happy as we were when we finally made it to Alabama, and they had a whole yard to be free in again.

It hurts my heart how cruel some are to animals and I wish there were stiffer penalties for abuse. Eighteen hours in a crate is far too long & frankly, it's animal abuse. I'd be procrate if I felt I needed one but I don't.

We do use a crate, but never for punishment or when we're not home. Minnie loves her crate, and we have removed the door so she can go in it whenever she chooses. But 18 hours - that's crazy!
    I believe in using crates positively. As a puppy, Minnie's crate was a sense of security, a cozy place to stay. Her crate is in the laundry room, but the laundry room door is never closed, and we don't force her to stay there at night. Her crate has her bed in it, and it's very spacious and large.
    We never intended to have a crate, but when she was adopted she was crate-trained and was a little insecure without it. But we never, ever, EVER, would have used one otherwhise. I think crates aren't cruel if you use them properly. For example, don't keep the dog in there when they aren't sleeping. And never for punishment.

hi, aaron here.
    i have a crate, was mandated/requested by the rescue for most recent adoption. never used it once. loaned it out for a few months to someone who crated her poochie(way too long each day in my opinion).
    leia, a now 3 yr lab pit mix took a couple weeks to potty train; pee/poo pads to that fake grass pad thing to outdoors, relatively easy. all my previous dogs learned from their older bro/sis.

I'm pro-crate training. I think it's great. I never use it as punishment or for long periods of time. Actually my dog loves his crate. I leave the door to the crate open and my dog often goes in it himself to lay down and he loves to gather his toys and bones and bring them to his crate. Also, the crate is his "safe zone", the kids are not allowed to bother him when he is in there.. his dog house in the yard is the same way. The truth is is that some people will find a way to mistreat anything. When used properly crates are a good thing, imo.

I understand where you are coming from Alpha1 because I have the same sentiment over crate but I have to say some dogs do loves crate. My first 3 dogs never experience crate but one time I bought a crate at home because I was taking care of my friend's dog. I was surprised to see two of my dogs when into the empty crate and sat there doing nothing. Just relaxing and hiding from the annoying new dog I think. Just like us, they need an enclosed space/den just like rooms.

But there are plenty of people who just place their dogs there whole day and I pity those dogs.

Reading this post has made me angry and incredibly sad. Why on earth would anyone put a dog in a cage for 18 hours or more? And WHY would you shout at them when they have done their business in the only space you have given them?

Personally, I think dog crates are horrendous and I would never put mine in one. The only time they have ever gone into a crate (and it broke my heart!) was when they flew to Australia.
    I think crates or guards or anything like that should be used is in a car when you need to secure the dog at the back of the car. I wouldn't even put mine in a dog cage while travelling in a car.

I purchased a Travall Cargo Barrier for my dogs. There's nothing worse than driving and not being able to focus in front of you because the dogs are wandering around the car. Not to mention it is illegal in Aus to not restrain your dogs in some way. I found the cargo barrier to much more humane and it certainly doesn't harm them because there is more than enough space to move around and lie down if they want. At least this way they aren't restrained with a lead or harness and made to feel uncomfortable. But to put them into a cage for long hours or time is beyond me.

My dog Marty will take naps in his crate and when I am going out the put some cookies in it and Marty walks right into the crate. It was my Standard Poodle so Marty has plenty of room to move
    around , lay down and standup .

If using a crate to housebreak the crate has to be small, just enough room for the dog to stand and lay and be able to turn around. The idea is keeping it in a confined space will teach him to hold it and let you know when he needs to go out. If the crate is to big he will be able to go and get away from it, dogs do not usually go where they sleep. So by keeping the space small, unless you keep them it in for to long and they can't hold it, they will fuss or bark to let you know they need to go out. Don't ignore them when they give you a signal. take them out and praise and treats, doesn't take long for them to catch on that going outside is a good thing and is rewarded with praise and treats which reinforces the idea in their head.

I think crates suck! I will never and have never used them for potty training or anything else. They are a prison ....I would not have a good temperament if I was to be trained in one. It isn't that hard to train them to go outside for crying out loud. If people don't want the responsibility they should just not have a dog that isn't trained already.
    And the thing about not going where they sleep is not necessarily true , I have seen it happen ....more tomes than I care to think of

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.