Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

A Dog Crate is a Cage, Same As A Prison for the Pet

Quote Originally Posted by LPC View Post
    Of all the dogs I've had (ever since childhood), I have never once used a crate. I would never consider using one, on principle. People like NClady may use them responsibly, but there are far too many who use them to cage a dog up for long periods.
    amen to that!!!

you see it with pet store puppies and mill puppies, they have no choice to but to go in the crate where they sleep. Its your choice whether or not to use a crate, but my housebreaking is over and done with in about three weeks. Doesn't take months for them to learn not to go in the house. And what do you do with a chewing puppy when you have to go out. At least they are safe in the crate for a couple of hours, not left to their own devices to get into things and hurt themselves.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

it wasn't just with mills and stores...it was people I know whose dogs were crated and still went inside. It happens...like you said people can will ignore the signs of a pup that is trying to say something to them .
    I never had a problem with a dog chewing things up. (pup) while away. Just gave them something to occupy their time.

Quote Originally Posted by lovemylittleboy View Post
    I think crates suck! I will never and have never used them for potty training or anything else. They are a prison ....I would not have a good temperament if I was to be trained in one. It isn't that hard to train them to go outside for crying out loud. If people don't want the responsibility they should just not have a dog that isn't trained already.
    And the thing about not going where they sleep is not necessarily true , I have seen it happen ....more tomes than I care to think of
    I think it's safer to keep a dog in crate when going out for awhile , it keep them out of trouble . My dog will go into the crate on his own to take naps , it's like a den to him. I never use the crate as a punishment that would be a prison .

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl View Post
    I think it's safer to keep a dog in crate when going out for awhile , it keep them out of trouble . My dog will go into the crate on his own to take naps , it's like a den to him. I never use the crate as a punishment that would be a prison .
    well it's ok for those who prefer them. I just can't stand to see animals confined. In some cases I agree it is needed , but I prefer a larger cage instead of a crate if I had to use something. I have a roomy kitchen they can be blocked of in that they would be ok left alone. they just need something to keep them busy. But I am never gone long enough to worry. Pups will be pups no matter where they are. My husband had a dog that was an escape artist...couldn't keep that dog in a crate or cage it was amazing! lol She never did damage in his house either when she got out. So the cage and Crate were removed.
    They usually get into things because they are simply bored ..... or have separation anxiety, they need things to busy them

Quote Originally Posted by lovemylittleboy View Post
    well it's ok for those who prefer them. I just can't stand to see animals confined. In some cases I agree it is needed , but I prefer a larger cage instead of a crate if I had to use something. I have a roomy kitchen they can be blocked of in that they would be ok left alone. they just need something to keep them busy. But I am never gone long enough to worry. Pups will be pups no matter where they are. My husband had a dog that was an escape artist...couldn't keep that dog in a crate or cage it was amazing! lol She never did damage in his house either when she got out. So the cage and Crate were removed.
    They usually get into things because they are simply bored ..... or have separation anxiety, they need things to busy them
    I have very large cage , it was for my 50 lbs. Standard Poodle , I now have a 17 -18 lbs. Mini Poodle mix . I knew someone that had a husky that didn't exercise enough ,they let the dog have the run of
    the house while at work . The dog pulled half the kitchen floor! If a dog does not get enough exercise it will get bored and try to escape from anything even a fence in yard .

Right they must be given activity they need to get rid of the energy they have stored up. Boy especially Huskies and working dogs

My crate is extra large, big enough for a st bernard to fit in and still have room. My outside kennel is 12x12x6 and only on nice days when she wants to go in it she does. She loves her kennel, its big and she can lay in the grass under the trees. When I ask her if she wants to go in her kennel and she runs in and waits for me to close the door then I leave her out for a while, when I go to get her I ask her if she wants to come in and if she comes to the door I let her in, if she isn't ready to come in she will go to the back corner and sit there with her back to me. She's telling me she wants to stay out longer.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.