Microchips and Your Dog

Microchips and Your Dog

The best thing I think I have done for my dog and me is to make sure she was micro chipped. This ensures that if my dog decides to run away or is stolen that there is a chance she will come home.

The procedure is simple and does not affect the dog at all. I had my dogs chip put in while she was being spayed. It was really inexpensive and helps me feel better knowing that if she is picked up by Animal Patrol that she will be returned home.

The only downside is that she can only be returned if she is picked up or in a vets office and they scan her. I often think about what I would do without her and I cannot bare it.

If you love your pet and want some security, micro chips are the way to go. Ask your vet or local animal shelter for more information.

While I agree that it is a nice safety net when finding a lost pet, I am still a bit unnerved by the use of the technology. I disagree with it being mandatory at some pounds that animal have to be chipped. Much has been written about the conditioning of our society to accepting human chips and using pets as the first step.

As long as this does not affect the dog, I am onboard with this idea. Although, would you implant your kid with a chip? Might not be the worst idea with kidnappers and such roaming around.

Although there are advantages, I'm with bandaloo, I don't like the idea. I've never chipped my pets, and the possibility of cancer at the site is one of the reasons. http://www.antichips.com/

Microchipping is a great option.. it would be so horrible to lose a pet and never know what happened to it. What a relief to get the call that your lost pet has been found.

Almost everyone dealing with animals nowadays has access to the chip scanner - vets, shelters, animal control, etc.

Micro Chipping is a requirement of the Pet Passport scheme, without which they would quarantined on entry to Britain.
    However - the administrators are just out to make money.
    You often see signs, 10 to chip. But if you move house, they can charge you 25 administration fee. Cheaper to get a new chip implanted!

As to "cancer promoting site" - that is scaremongering.
    Humans do get implants every day - prosthetics, pacemakers, valves, filters.
    The chip is a near field device - it does not emit any signal, nor have a battery. Essentially it just reflects the signal from the scanner.
    It is literally a little glass bubble.

I have had my dogs micro chipped every time and never have I even heard that it causes cancer. My only issue is that your dog must be taken to a shelter or a vet clinic to be found. I have always wondered if they could come out with a GPS version of the chip. Of course this would be very difficult to achieve without causing harm to the animal. I just think it would be a very secure feeling to know that if your dog went missing, you could go online and find them instantly. I just heard on the news that there was dog lost somewhere in the southern USA and he was found 5 years later in Calgary. He went missing as a pup and the family thankfully chipped him. I find nothing wrong with wanting a little piece of mind.

I agree with the idea of micro chipping pets. I think it is relatively safe and the dog isn't aware. Of course there are risks - there are with everything. But what if the call to say the pet was found was bad news . . .? "Hello Found your cat - under my wheel!" Wouldn't you rather they slipped off into the cattery in the sky?

I agree. There was just a story on the news about a dog that got stolen from the U.S.A and was found in Alberta, Canada. Due to his microchip he is now on his way home.

No matter what news you heard regarding your pet, I think it would give peace of mind to know the situation your pet is in. Yes bad news would be horrible but it would allow you to heal and not worry that the pet is in danger. If you are considering having your pet micro chipped and would like to know more about it there is a lot of websites. Most sites will explain the process of inserting a chip and also what the chip is constructed of. People love their animals like family and yes I think it may be an advanced way of tracking your pet but at the same time it has reunited so many with their original homes.

I don't know if you would be willing to spend the money, but there are GPS collars for pets now. I think they run about $200. I think that the batteries are rechargeable, too. Something to consider if you're worried about escapees. It won't do you any good, however, if your baby is dog-napped.

I recommend micro-chipping for almost all dogs. Its a very reliable technology, it is discreet, and it very rarely causes complications. When I was on house arrest and working at my moms work, which happened to be a veterinary office, I actually assisted in injecting many different kinds of animals with various models of tracking devices. This was a long time ago though so I can't remember specific model numbers, but there are a couple different kinds apparently. I especially recommend it if you have tiny dogs like mine... my dog does NOT like collars, leashes, harnesses, or anything unnatural. I've tried numerous times to acclimate her to the idea of using these restraints, but she refuses, so its impossible to put tags on her. While I personally have not micro-chipped my dog, simply due to laziness and lack of expendable funds and all that, I still recommend it, and I am not opposed to the idea of doing it to my dog, if I ever get around to it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.