NATIONAL MUTT DAY! Adopt A Mutt...Give A Good Dog A Good Home!

Thumbs up NATIONAL MUTT DAY! Adopt A Mutt...Give A Good Dog A Good Home!

Today is National Mutt Day, here's 9 great reasons to adopt a mutt!

9 Great Reasons to Adopt a Mutt

1.You can pick your favorite size and color. Mutts come in small, medium, large and XL sizes. They come with short, long, curly or wiry coats in every color. They have small ears that stand up, or big floppy, droopy ears. They come with long or short legs, and big fluffy tails, or no tail at all. Whatever you're looking for in a canine companion, you can find in a mixed breed dog.

2.You can find a mixed breed to fit your lifestyle. You might be looking for a very friendly dog, or one who's security conscious. Perhaps you want a four-legged workout partner or a snuggler who enjoys long naps on the couch. Whatever your lifestyle, there's a dog out there who will fit right in.

3.Each mutt is truly unique. A purebred dog tends to be somewhat predictable in looks and temperament as a result of the specific genetic characteristics of his breed. A mixed-breed pup, on the other hand, is the product of a lineage of different breeds maybe two breeds, maybe several. Mutts often look and behave like no other dog you've ever had the pleasure of knowing!

4.Mixed breeds can be healthier than purebreds. Studies in Europe and North America have found the average mixed breed dog is less prone to disease and has a longer lifespan than the average purebred dog. This is in part due to the theory of hybrid vigor, which holds that as a group, dogs of varied ancestry will be healthier than their purebred counterparts.

5.You dont have to spend a lot of money. Animal shelter adoption fees are much more affordable than the cost of a purebred dog. (But keep in mind that every dog requires a nutritious diet, routine vet visits, obedience training, grooming supplies, bedding, a collar and leash, toys, and other odds and ends.)

6.Many mutts are active, agile athletes. If your mixed breed dog is healthy and active, he can compete and earn titles in agility, dock diving, flyball, canine disc, freestyle, lure coursing, obedience, rally and more.

7.Mutts tend to be easy-going. Mixed breed dogs often do not exhibit the extremes in temperament and behavior that purebreds do. Mixed breeds tend to score better than many purebreds in terms of stability, friendliness, shyness, aggression and protectiveness.

8.You can discover which breeds make up your mutt. Doggy DNA tests are growing in popularity as more pet owners realize the value of learning something about the breeds that make up their furry friend.

9.A wide selection of mixed breed dogs of every size, shape, age, gender and temperament is available from animal shelters and rescue organizations across the U.S. Wonderful, deserving mixed breeds make up the vast majority of adoptable dogs about 75 percent -- at animal shelters, humane societies and rescue facilities across the nation. When a shelter dog is adopted by a loving, responsible owner, that's one less dog institutionalized and/or euthanized. Everyone wins!

Read more: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...-mutt-day.aspx

That's great news... I love mutts. Back when the vet asked me what breed my dog was, I proudly told him Peanuts was an "askal". He fell silent and wrote "mixed" on her vaccination book. LOL.

Dogs here are either categorized as mixed breeds or "aspins". Aspins or Askals are what we call our native dogs.

Here's my list of Benefits of Adopting/Owning an Aspin.

-Since the askal / aspin family tree is so diverse, the tendency for them to have genetic diseases are slim to nothing.

-Most askals/ aspins have survived without vaccinations through the years. This means that most of them have built an immunity against highly contagious diseases.

-They're far cheaper to adopt. Some Philippine pet shelters already have their dogs and cats spayed / neutered and vaccinated.

Posted a thread about them awhile back...http://www.petforums.com/showthread....-(Asung-Pinoy)

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Posted a thread about them awhile back...http://www.petforums.com/showthread....-(Asung-Pinoy)
    Love love love the definition... I didn't expect them to be featured like a different breed... My mom has 5 of them and they do prefer living outdoors. Even though mom allows them to sleep inside our home, they doesn't stay there for long. I guess it's because the climate here is hotter, so it just makes sense to stay in the balcony that's made of nipa and bamboo. It's like a beach hut with a very good vantage point of whoever passes by the house.

nipahutextension.jpg

Back when I was still living with her, I had something like this made for the dogs. It's an extension of the house for the 5 of them. During the daytime, the house's main door is open.

BTW, hope you don't mind me correcting Asung to Asong.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.