types of dogs

types of dogs

I'm thinking of getting a puppy for my daughter. She's 2 years old but I'm not sure what type of dog to get. I want something that won't get too big and I'm thinking maybe hypo allergenic. Any suggestions on types of dogs, where to buy from, and pricing?

The only dog I know of that is hypoallergenic is a Labradoodle, but they tend to get pretty big. Maybe there is are smaller ones that are bred with smaller poodles? My friend who has really severe allergies has a labradoodle, and doesn't have any problems with her allergies as all. Her dog is a really good dog, plus it's tough enough to handle anything that kids do.

I am a major believer in Pound Puppies. I've had three dogs in my life, and each one has come from a different state's Humane Society. There will always be plenty of options, and new pets come in all the time. You might even consider getting an older dog that is good with children, this way its more mature and calm, pre-trained, and less likely to hurt your daughter by getting too excited and scratching or biting her on accident. The downside is that if you go too old, then you may have to teach your daughter about death earlier than you want.

I find the staff (both paid and volunteer) at the Humane Society to be incredibly friendly and helpful. Most of the time the previous owners provide alot of background information about the dog, so you'll have plenty of knowledge from a previous owner. AND you'd be helping a homeless pet. You get a great pet at a reasonable price, and you're helping the community and the animals.

As for Hypo-allergenic dogs, there are a lot of Hypo - Terriers, but in my experience most are super hyper so you'd have to put up with that. Schnauzers and almost any poodle or poodle mix is Hypo. Poodles come in all kinds of sizes, and if they're trained right, can be very friendly but protective. Good for the kiddie. Plus, you don't HAVE to get them cut like those ridiculous cartoon dogs you see all the time

Good luck in your search! Come back and tell us what you pick!
    ~The Mighty Tin Man

Here is a link to a list of hypoallergenic dog breeds: http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Bree...llergenic.aspx

I've always thought that Schnauzers are adorable, personally. There are miniature, standard, and giant Schnauzer breeds.

If you're not looking to spend too much, you can always see if they have any of these breeds at your local animal shelter, or try a site like Craigslist.

I absolutely agree with going for a rescue dog. Every dog I have ever had has been a rescue. I have volunteered at rescue organizations for many years, and I don't think people realize that a very large percentage of dogs that end up in shelters never make it out. Not only can you get a really good dog, but you will be saving a life.

I had a standard Schnauzer when I was a kid, and he was a really good dog, and sturdy enough to handle three rowdy kids. I would also suggest checking local shelters, but you could also check through petfinder.com and even through facebook. There is a large network of dog rescues on facebook. Also, there is a large network of people who provide transportation all across the country, so if you found a dog you think you might want, but it's out of state, you could get the dog checked out for temperament, and then transported to where you live.

My favorite breed is and always will be the husky. I love all dogs but the husky is so beautiful and so affectionate. I previously owned a purebred Siberian Husky and he was the best. Unfortunately he passed away and now I have my new dog who is Husky / Lab mix. She is very hyper but the biggest sweetie.

I am not the biggest fan of little dogs but they still deserve love and are great for people who are apartment living. They require little room opposed to a big dog who needs room to burn energy. My parents own a shitzu and love his temperament.

Dogs are definitely the best pet you can own.

If your daughter is that young you may want to wait until she's a little older before getting a dog. Kids and their dogs go both ways.. the dog has to be taught to respect the kids, but the kids have to be taught to respect the dog, too. No tail-pulling or annoying it, or you'll have an anxious puppy and a potential hazard.

I see a lot of people rooting for the schnauzer.. not good for small kids. :/ They can be iffy when it comes to temperament, especially the smaller ones.

Sometimes getting a dog when your kids are too young to understand the responsibility of taking care of an animal. A dog may not be the way to go. Puppies are hyper and like to bite and nip at things, this may happen to your child. Also the young child does not yet understand that pulling a tail or ear may make the pup hurt. It may be a good idea to start with something smaller and work your way up as the child ages. When I read the classifieds, the most common reason for people giving up their pet is due to their children being too young. If the child knows what not to do to the animal, then he or she may be ready to get a bigger animal.

We had a Bison Fraise. He was a great little dog. We didn't have any allergy problems but you know with little dogs come little, repetitive barks.

Technically there is no allergen free dogs. There are many studies that show that any and every dog produces an allergen. This is because the hair is not what produces the allergen. The skin releases oils and this is where the allergens are found. Although some dogs may produce a weaker form of the antigen, it is still present. This meaning even if you were to purchase a hairless dog, you could still have an allergic reaction to the dog. The dander from a dog is not the only place these irritants are found, they can be found in the saliva and fecal matter as well. You can bath the dog frequently to reduce the allergen but this may only cause the dog to lose its natural oils and therefore have itchy dry flaky skin. Always speak to your vet before purchasing a dog if you suspect it will be a bother to your allergies.

I think you might be happy with a toy poodle. They are small, smart, funny, hypo-allergenic and great with kids. We had poodles when I was a kid and they were just wonderful little jokers. You can look for breed specific pet rescue organizations if your preference is pound/rescue type dogs. Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.