Not sure my dog likes her food

Not sure my dog likes her food

Hi all,

My dog (black lab/border mix, age 1y 4 mo) started out on IAMS Smart Puppy for her first year. I transitioned her over to IAMS Prime Naturals (no corn, no wheat, no soy).

When she was a baby, she ate meals 3x/day and gobbled every last bit down, like she never ate in her life. Now, she barely seems to eat. I leave her food down all day and she MIGHT finish a bowl once a day (her bowls are bigger now; I give her two standard-size scoops at a time). She doesn't eat in the morning - usually not until the afternoon when we come in from playing outside.

Would it be worth it to transition food? If I do, she'd get Blue Wilderness.

Wondering if it's just that she doesn't like her food, or if I should even worry at all - if it's normal. She's my first dog so I'm still learning as I go. Advice from veteran dog parents is appreciated!

When they're puppies they always eat more times a day (and they should), and more enthusiastically. My dog is 60+ pounds, and not underweight whatsoever, if anything he's slightly overweight...but he is older, and the pounds seem to stay with him now.

I only feed my dog once a day, in late afternoon. He gets one large cup of dry food, which I just measured as being equivalent to a liquid 2 cup measuring cup. Added to this I put in a tablespoon full of canned food, and mix it in. Other than that he gets a jerky treat and a couple of dog cookies in the morning. So, I don't think one bowl a day sounds like too little.

Switching to Blue Wilderness wouldn't be a bad idea regardless, I like the Blue brand, I feed my cat Blue Buffalo. If you dog doesn't look thin, it's probably okay...are he ribs showing? Has the vet voiced any concern with being too skinny, or weak, unhealthy?

Dog or cat, I think that canned/wet food should be added to the diet daily, along with the kibble. Gets more water into their system, and is helpful for the organs like the kidneys.

She's 49 lbs which the vet says is great, and keep up the good work. I can feel her ribs if I rub her side, but she's a lab/border mix so her hair is longer and it's hard to actually see them.

If the vet thinks all is well, then I wouldn't have any concern with her eating a bowl a day, that sounds normal to me.

That's relieving. Thanks!

My dog eats a bowl a day, around 2 cups and he's healthy.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.