Koopa Troopa - Hybrid Aquatic Turtle?

Koopa Troopa - Hybrid Aquatic Turtle?

I've shown his photos to quite a few people...some turtle enthusiasts, everyone has a different opinion. Either way, here he is...

Dropped by a hawk in the parking lot at work like this. He had a wound on his booty and an eye issue, but we fixed both with time.

Here's another baby picture:

...and here he is a couple of weeks ago.

I'm seeing a pure yellow-bellied slider (Trachemys scripta scripta). Not sure what made people believe it was a hybrid. Beautiful turtle

Quote Originally Posted by poison View Post
    I'm seeing a pure yellow-bellied slider (Trachemys scripta scripta). Not sure what made people believe it was a hybrid. Beautiful turtle
    Really? ...he's starting to get spikes down the top of his shell (in the center), and his shell is getting very pointy around the edge, too. The more he ages and grows, the more pronounced the spikes.

Nice turtle nice of you for healing him

Wow, lucky little fella to survive all that trauma...and you're so kind for taking him in and caring for him.

Thanks, you guys. He's a total ham...well, I mean...he's camera shy...but is totally a social butterfly...until you bring out the camera. Pfft.

It's really cool that you have rescue pets!

Quote Originally Posted by tiffers View Post
    Really? ...he's starting to get spikes down the top of his shell (in the center), and his shell is getting very pointy around the edge, too. The more he ages and grows, the more pronounced the spikes.
    He is still very youg. As he/she matures the spikes will grow into the shell. Giving it a smother look. The spikes are common in young sliders.

He is still very youg. As he/she matures the spikes will grow into the shell. Giving it a smother look. The spikes are common in young sliders.
    Yes, he's definitely young. ...and thanks for your help! He is growing so fast, it's neat to watch.

LOL. Poison, you're amazing... so much for knowing the names of different dog breeds... turtle naming is far more difficult. I have no idea how you do it... It took us a year to figure out the sex of our long neck turtles and we still don't know what genders they were!

Please tell me your turtle's name is Koopa Troopa... LOL. I'll never forget her/him now!

Quote Originally Posted by haopee View Post
    LOL. Poison, you're amazing
    I know :P

Haha, thank you.

I guess when you grow up keeping and researching reptiles and amphibians identifying species comes natural.

I'm not sure if the this is the case with all turtles but with sliders a way to tail the sex is by the size of the tail and the length of their claws. Obviously its to soon to say for this one.

His name is DEFINITELY Koopa Troopa. Huge gamer here.

I don't know for fact that he is a he and not a she...I think he's still too young to tell? I know the claws and tail have something to do with it and he has a ridiculously long tail, but I'm not entirely sure the difference.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.