Tugging On The Leash

Lightbulb Tugging On The Leash

I've always had success when I used a choke collar for leash training with puppies. Not the kind with sharp barbs on it , but just a smooth chain choker. It has to be placed on the pups neck properly so that it releases quickly after any corrections. Make it into the shape of a "P", while the dog is facing you, then slip it onto his head. I always removed them after training, as they can be a safety (choke) hazard.

I took one of my pups, many years ago, to an obedience class that was held in a neighborhood school by trainers. They wouldn't let you attend class without a choker. I showed the same dog in a couple of obedience trials, and he did very well.

Cesar Milan in the Dog Whisperer, recommends to do a side correction when the dog pulls ahead on the leash. I find this works very well, as it makes them off-balance for a second, and they respond by stopping the pull. When you tug back on the leash, which I see a LOT of people doing, the dog just resists the movement by straining forward more. The corrections should never be rough or hurtful, just the sound of the chain sometimes is enough of a reminder for the dog.

Nothing more relaxing than taking a walk with your dog, in an area where you have to use a leash, and have them walk nicely near your side, instead of fighting you all the way.

Could you explain what you mean by a "side correction?" I've never been very good at walking dogs on a leash, and usually just end up with them way ahead of me and all over the place.

If they're walking on your left side, you would give a short pull to the right, as opposed to yanking them backwards. I tried this with Hans, as he started really leading and doesn't spend much time on lead. Worked like a charm, a couple of side corrections and he was back in check.

I think it just pulls their body sideways, just enough to make them check their balance in their stride. They don't like that feeling.

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks for that explanation. I'll have to give it a try next time I have the chance to walk a dog.

I would try this, but my parents don't believe in using choke chains on dogs, although I believe that if used correctly are a valuable training tool.

Quote Originally Posted by MyDogIsAManiac View Post
    I would try this, but my parents don't believe in using choke chains on dogs, although I believe that if used correctly are a valuable training tool.
    They do have to be used correctly and responsibly.....and only for short lessons, then removed. I don't like to see people using them as everyday collars for their dogs, and the pinch collars, in my opinion, are really cruel and unnecessary. The collar should be used for training, not punishment in any manner.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.