Non active Eye Ulcer(?)

Question Non active Eye Ulcer(?)

My Cavalier boy went into for surgery today to correct his floating kneecap & the surgeon noticed some small cloudy, white/milky spots on both his eyes which he suspects might be "non active eye ulcers" - I've never heard of this before & wondered if anyone on here had? We'll be getting this looked at by our normal vet at our post-op wound check & there certainly seems to be nothing wrong with his eye sight!

Buchi has eye ulcers and conjunctivitis... While recurring, his usually disappears after application of Ilium ointment.

The Ilium I use is a steroidal one. It clears up pretty easily so don't worry too much. If your cavvy has had it for some time now, and it hasn't seem to affect his lifestyle, then I am sure it's nothing to worry about.

Keep us updated.

Could it be corneal dystrophy? If so, according to this article no treatment is needed...http://www.cavalierhealth.org/corneal.htm

Thanks for the replies both - both very reassuring! Could well be corneal dystrophy Alpha or the ulcers, I'm not sure. We're at the vet next week for post-op checks so will see what he says. He definitely is a happy dog and has never given us cause to think he can't see brilliantly so hopefully there will be no need for any treatment (or at least minimal).

Could you give an update please?

Quote Originally Posted by MelindaC View Post
    Could you give an update please?
    Try dropping by GF's blog... it's under his signature... dizzydog14.blogspot.uk. They've pretty much accounted for everything from Dizzy's crate rest to eating habits.

Thanks for replying on my behalf Haopee - I've been so busy I'm having trouble finding time to get online!

MelindaC - we had Dizzy's eyes looked at a few weeks ago and the vet has said that the little milky spots on both eyes are simply "non active ulcers" that he was almost certainly born with (yet another indicator that he came from a puppy mill before ending up in rescue & his poor mother was probably of poor health).

The ulcers are not growing or changing, his eye sight is fine & there's no impact on his life at all so there's no treatment needed We simply have to keep an eye on them (pardon the pun) and if we notice any change in shape or size, get him back to the vet.

As Haopee as kindly said, we are keeping a blog following Dizzy's recovery from Luxating Patella corrective surgery Link is my signature.

Is it a corneal ulcer? Was told our pups is and will need to be removed. She will be blind in that eye for sure. She was accidentally shut in a car door. Just wasn't sure if it's the same kind of ulcer.

There are also things like calcium deposits...not an issue, and require no treatment. Non-Active Ulcer is a weird term to me. You either have an ulceration to the cornea, or you don't.

It's not an odd term at all - he does have an ulcer on his eye ( a small milky circle) but it is inactive in that it is not changing in any way. It's never gotten worse, grown or changed at all.

It's causing him no discomfort and to the best of our knowledge (bearing in mind he's a rescue so we know nothing of his past prior to the two years we've had him) he's had it for a very long time, probably since birth in our vets opinion meaning it is unlikely to be the result of an injury as most corneal ulcers are.

It would be possible to treat it with eye scraping or similar, but we won't be putting him through that as he's not suffering in the least.

Sorry to hear your pup will loose sight in her eye MelindaC - that's very sad. It's a different thing to what our boy has as his isn't the result of any injury.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.