Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dizzy's Luxating Patella Recovery

Dizzy's Luxating Patella Recovery

"When we were told that Dizzy had a Luxating Patella that required corrective surgery, the first thing we did was Google it. I knew a little about the condition and the surgery as I had childhood dog who had both legs operated on at different stages of his life, but I was too young to fully understand the ins and outs of the operation and the recovery. We were very surprised to find so little “owner experience” out there. The bulk of results where links to veterinary papers and complicated medical journals. What little information we could find (and understand!) only succeeded in scaring me more & I found it very hard to prepare for something we knew very little about. So, we decided that we would create our own “Dizzy diary” in the hopes that someone else might find a little reassurance or shared experience if they need it, like we did."

Myself and my partner are blogging about our experiences during the recovery process & would love for your to check it out if you have a minute. We plan to just keep a little diary of how things go & what we learn so that hopefully others won't feel as lost as we do!

The blog is here: http://dizzydog14.blogspot.co.uk

Thanks!

Nice that you're tracking and sharing his progress with the blog, and I enjoyed seeing Dizzy's photos too. I tried to leave a comment, but it couldn't be done simply. I couldn't submit it until I chose a profile from the dropdown, and none of those options related to me.

Hi GF. Is this your blog? Where's the follow button?!?

I think a lot of pet owners would want to read about things like these, because it is different if the post came from a blog rather than an ordinary website. Yes, please do share your work and keep on posting.

So much for a romantic Valentine's, right?

Sorry you found it difficult to leave a comment Alpha, but thanks for checking it out anyway - there aren't a huge amount of easy to use free blog sites available and I'm not as technologically minded as my OH so he set this up. I think you can only follow the blog if you sign up to the site (although I have seen & replied to your comment Haopee - thanks!). If anyone is on Twitter, you're welcome to follow me on there (my handle is @DizzyEm90) and I will be posting the update links on there.

We don't expect many views or followers as it's not exactly a riveting read and the idea behind it is more that if someone googles luxating patella like I did in the hopes of finding some useful info, hopefully this blog will pop up somewhere in their search and help them figure out how to prepare and what to expect.

Followed you in Twitter instead. LOL.

By the way, I'm not sure this is a big deal or not, but you're blog's title is a dot (.) on the tab.

It's okay... On my part, it's reading about it that I learn more about dog-related problems and how to deal. I love learning new stuff and I never want to be the person who's left in the dark without any idea how to take care of problems related to my precious canines...

Ah, the stress of being a dog-lover.

Thanks for the follow Haopee - I've followed you back ! I will always post any new blog updates on Twitter so if you feel like reading them, you'll find them there. I've just noticed the . tittle today too - that'll be a job for the other half! I can manage posting updated and including pictures and videos, but that's about it!

Dizzy's recovery is going really well and I've just posted two new updates to the blog if anyone wants to read

Also - we've had the spots on his eyes checked by our vet. They are ulcers but nothing to worry about - they've probably been with him since birth, but aren't growing or changing so no treatment is needed

Still posting away on Dizzy's diary - just uploaded today's blog, talking about weight management during recovery Another post to follow later on today or maybe tomorrow

That is a really good Idea sharing your experience ,on Dizzy's luxating patela diary
    I hope she is doing ok now.
    I took a poodle we once had to a vet,we were told that she had luxating patela,we had to save for the operation,and in the meantime she came good,and the reason she was limping was because one of the children had stood on her foot accidently we later found out, just goes to show that you can be conned sometimes by vets,needless to say we never went to him again.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience - it makes me so mad that there are vets out there abusing pet owners trust.

Dizzy's doing really well post-op & we still have a few weeks to go before we can give him a little more breathing space. I'm enjoying keeping the blog and we seem to be getting a nice amount of views so hopefully some people are finding it helpful!

Happy to hear that Dizzy's doing well Goldfinch! Just visited your blog, good that you're keeping up with it, it will help many I'm sure! Luxating Patella seems to be more and more common nowadays, with all kinds of breeds. Thanks for the update, hugs to your little one!

Thanks Alpha - I am enjoying it! It's very therapeutic! I am due an update though so better on get with that! Dizzy accepts your hugs very, very gratefully - he's getting a bit fed up with me being so mean and not letting him run and jump like he wants too!

Tough love....gotta do it.

my little man requires the same corrective surgery. Prayers are with Dizzy for a speedy recovery.

Thanks Tink, Dizzy's doing really well one month post op & we're very happy we've had the op done. If you need any advice or reassurance one your little man is going through it all, check out my blog in my signature. Feel free to contact me on here if you're worried about anything, I'd be happy to share any experiences that might help!

thank you so much, heading over to read up now.

I was a bawling mess when be was neutered, I panic at the thought of this corrective surgery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.