Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Hans is Slowing Down in His 11th Year (Auto Immune Disease, Arthritis, Nasal Issues)

Sorry to see poor Hans is slowing down Alpha1, and is not feeling very well,it is so hard to see them suffering and not be able to ease their pain,thinking of you and Hans, hugs

Thanks Wombat. The vet told us today that it was serious, he has developed an auto-immune disease (IMHA). Now he's on antibiotics (high dose, then low), prednisone (sleeping with one eye open, his urine is high volume and I may have to let him out during the night), and a vitamin/mineral tonic. Enough medicine for a month to start, can't give him any Rimadyl for his arthritis during this time.

Today I went out and bought some nitrate-free natural beef frankfurters to put his pills in, as he wasn't accepting any cheese or other foods. He accepted the frankfurters, and I was able to get him to eat a couple...so he's starting to take food anyway. Tomorrow I'll offer him some ground beef and see how that goes. Monday, back to the vet for another blood test.

Oh Alpha, I am so sorry to hear that. Poor boy and poor you Sounds like you're doing everything you possibly can for him and I really, really hope the meds do their job xx

Update on Hans...

He was getting higher dose antibiotics, and this past Saturday he started vomiting with some coagulated blood in it, he threw up numerous times that night, and couldn't keep his medicine down either.

The vet said that the coagulated blood that he was vomiting, was because the auto-immune disease causes internal bleeding, and the blood that is digested will show with a blackened coagulated appearance.

They did more blood work on him yesterday. The vet is very concerned, and the prognosis is very poor. The disease makes him kill off his red blood cells, which is a bad thing. His white blood cell count has doubled since last weeks tests, even with his taking his antibiotics and the Prednisone. The vet said that if the medicine was helping him, the white blood count would be going down, not doubling.

I don't know much about these blood tests, but his HCT is 19%, and it should be much higher. The doctor said than when they get down to around 12%, a transfusion is mandatory. However, the transfusion is rarely successful, as even if they replace all of his blood with healthy blood from a donor, his immune system may destroy all those red blood cells too. So the vet does not recommend that action.

He gave him an additional medicine to take (Azathioprine), it is supposed to work in conjunction with the Prednisone, and may give him a better result. We have to take him in again next Tuesday, to monitor his blood levels and see if he's worsening or stabilizing. The vet said he was surprised that he didn't see improvement this past week with the meds.

He's only had two doses of the new medicine, in addition to what he was taking, he doesn't look good. He drinking even more water, going to the bathroom more, but he's very lethargic. His back legs seem to be weakening with the arthritis, and he can't have any of his Rimadyl (NSAIDS) with the medicine he's taking, so he's getting no relief from his pain in that department.

Things aren't looking so well for him, he's too old and ill now to be experimenting with blood transfusion, even if the vet was in agreement to do it. Tuesday's blood test will tell us more, for now, I'm just glad he's eating and doesn't appear to be in any real pain from the IMHA...just the arthritis.

Thanks guys for the well wishes, will post when I know more.

Oh Alpha, you must be beside yourself. He's a lucky boy to have you fighting so hard for his health, if only more dogs had the love he has. Will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers xx

Sorry to hear all that, dear Alpha...

Thinking of you ...

So sorry to see poor Hans hasn't improved yet and I hope the next vet visit shows improvement I will be thinking of you Alpha1 your Hubby and Hans. Hugs

Thanks guys!

He had another blood test yesterday, and there was a slight improvement in his numbers...but he's nowhere near normal. I'm happy that he's at least moving in the right direction. He stays on all three meds, and gets another blood test on Tuesday. Today we took him for a short walk, and he didn't lag behind like he did last time, so I think he's feeling better. Will post an update next week, after I get the results. Looks like another month of meds and weekly blood work for him, they have trouble finding his vein to draw blood, so sometimes he yelps when they have to poke him more than once.

Oh, Alpha, I am so GLAD to hear that Hans is improving ! I had been worrying that maybe no new was bad news, and didn't want to ask, so this is wonderful.
    It sounds like if he is out walking around and doing the regular things, that maybe he will recover.
    Eggs have a lot of sulfur, which is what makes the MSM so helpful in healing so many things, and even if you feel that raw meat is not safe, an easy-over egg should be fine for him.

Thank you Happyflowerlady, I will prepare some eggs for him this week, I appreciate all of your advice.

Alpha, i was reading a book about MSM, and why it helps, and it said that it is the sulfur, and that is why the food that are high in sulfur are so helpful to people suffering from arthritis, and other joint and auto-immune diseases.
    Amazon has several good books on both MSM and DMSO, which is where the MSM comes from, and there are both regular books, and kindle editions, whichever you prefer.

I especially recommend the one called "Doctors and DMSO", or something really close to that, and it is only a couple of dollars, so well worth the price for all the information it contains.
    My husband has cirrhosis of the liver, and he has been eating eggs every day, and his recovery in amazing even his doctors. They told him that when he first came in, they did not expect him to live much longer; now they are saying he doesn't need to come back for 6 months for another checkup, unless things start to get worse again. I have been giving him the MSM and foods with sulfur as much as i can to help.
    Maybe it can help your Hans, too...

Sooooo pleased you've had some more positive news Alpha & I will continue to keep my fingers crossed that it's even better next week. He's obviously determined to get better!

Quote Originally Posted by Happyflowerlady View Post
    My husband has cirrhosis of the liver, and he has been eating eggs every day, and his recovery in amazing even his doctors. They told him that when he first came in, they did not expect him to live much longer; now they are saying he doesn't need to come back for 6 months for another checkup, unless things start to get worse again. I have been giving him the MSM and foods with sulfur as much as i can to help.
    Maybe it can help your Hans, too...
    That's wonderful news about your husband Happyflowerlady, I hope he continues to get and feel better. I'm a big fan of MSM, I take it often myself and always have some on the shelf. I've also used it for my dogs for hip dysplasia and arthritis, I believe it helped. With all the pills he's on right now, I don't want to give him any supplements at this time, but I am starting to feed him an egg daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    We took him in yesterday to the vet, because he's been spacey, lethargic and has not eaten anything since Friday. The vet gave him a much higher dose of Baytril including an initial injection, as he's sure he still has some type of infection still going on. His temperature was 104 degrees, which is high...explains his unsteady walking and how he's been acting. Doctor said he had some swelling in his spleen.

Some blood was taken, we should find out some information today. I wanted the vet to take a needle aspiration of one of his fatty tumors to check for cancer, previous tests were negative. But the vet has known him since he was a puppy, and assures me the tumors are fine. Keeping my fingers crossed...for days he keeps to himself and just lies around.
    Hi Alpha... we're having problems with Whitey as well. It's hard when a dog's been with you for so long and you see them suffering like this... I've been busy this past days. Aside from having a new member in the pack, the owners couldn't keep her because they were leaving the country, Whitey was admitted in the vetties for two days. We didn't want him to stay there (perhaps because when we left China at the vet's, he died... a really sad death).

Whitey has chronic renal failure. He's lethargic and he barely drinks and eats. Today, he's refusing food and water intake. I had to use a syringe to feed him baby food and specialized dog food.

I wish all is well with Hans. We're sending some paws and prayers your way.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.