Late Intro

Late Intro

Got a new spider last month. Sorry, was busy with Mr.Dumplings' memorial service so i forgot lol. It's a 5" female Brazilian black & white (Nhandu coloratovillosus) and no, she's not racist.

I named her Nancy after a local politician whose familial dynasty reigns from a certain city that coincidentally rhymes with the word 'itchy' in my native language, which also happens to be the best word to describe this tarantula.

Upon arrival, stressed & cranky (March 28, 2014)

Feeling her new territory

Slowly fattening up (April 16, 2014)

Their species like it dry but apparently she has an affinity with water hence the constant need to be clingy with her water dish.

Nancy is a beauty! Mr. Dumplings RIP.

Thanks! She's quite an itchy specimen. I kept her outside so my allergies won't get worse

Whoa... she's itchy? LOL. Nancy B? By the way, do other tarantulas feel itchy too? Are they like furry dogs or puppies as well?

Maybe she feels hot... like all the other creatures experiencing temperatures within the 30-40 degrees range these past days.

Exactly! Some have microscopic defensive hairs. The ones that don't make you itch are usually the ones who resort quickly to biting with a pose. Believe it or not, they really fare well in our climate. It's the humidity that needs to be adjusted especially for the desert types since they hate high humidity

Quick question, do you have some of your pets situated in front of electric fans? The little furry dogs here are feeling the heat. Some of them have decided to lie down on top of the wet floor. The wet cement is cooler than the dry tiles. Even the electric fan's air is hot.

How do you adjust humidity? With the use of a humidifier?

Okay, too many questions. Have you ever been bitten before? Was it painful?

Last year when i arrived at summer i did use fans for them especially my reptiles. Think i lost like 12 snakes during last year's summer heat lol. This year is forgivable. I moved the pets i have here to one side of my unit away from the wall where the sun sheds its light to avoid heat convection while the ones i left in Cavite well i just placed them in the shaded area of my garden.

For the excess humidity well i just turn on the AC or i open all my doors and windows to let the breeze pass thru. Well that is of course if i'm not walking around with just my boxers on lol

Bitten by a T, not yet. I'm too careful when i deal with them as they are more unpredictable than venomous snakes IMO

You should try building one of those nipa huts for your pets. It's cooler and you won't have to deal with too much heat. I actually had one built at our home in the province.

You're living in a condominium? Boy, how's the rules in keeping pets? Are there any limitations in that?

Hahaha. That's just funny. You never mentioned who you were living with. I assumed you were alone with the little guys. Their eyes can handle the heat!

I think I'd rather get bitten by a dog than a reptile (or insect, for that matter). Once, my snake neck took a good snap at me, my little toe bled for an entire afternoon.

I am almost alone. Well every week the condo has their own in-housekeepers so the cleaning lady musn't see me if i'm almost naked haha!

And keep it low will ya, the property management doesn't know i have exotic pets in my unit hahaha!

For most taratulas, it's not the bite you should worry about but the urticating hairs if they kick some

Quote Originally Posted by Tongue Flicker View Post
    I am almost alone. Well every week the condo has their own in-housekeepers so the cleaning lady musn't see me if i'm almost naked haha!

And keep it low will ya, the property management doesn't know i have exotic pets in my unit hahaha!

For most taratulas, it's not the bite you should worry about but the urticating hairs if they kick some
    Just out of curiosity, how much do in-housekeepers get paid? Is it on a daily basis? Or are they on retainers. Heaven's sake, naked? Even the reptiles would have sore eyes.

LOL. Good thing taking them up the place don't seem to pose a challenge. Place them in a Tupperware and you're good to go.

Do you get allergies from those? I know they could be itchy, but how long does the effect last?

Weekly basis. They're paid via the monthly association dues. Hahaha no comment.

Tupperware? Even better, stackable microwave tubs lol

No, allergies but some can make you itch for a whole day. But a nice warm bath and some body scrub and you're good to go

Quote Originally Posted by Tongue Flicker View Post
    Weekly basis. They're paid via the monthly association dues. Hahaha no comment.

Tupperware? Even better, stackable microwave tubs lol

No, allergies but some can make you itch for a whole day. But a nice warm bath and some body scrub and you're good to go
    Ah, the rebellious master defies every rule in the book by using stackable tubs. Haha. That's evil-- so goes for the no comment portion.

You mean like the hairy centipedes (or millipedes) that reside in Acacia trees?

Neither. You're referring to caterpillars @__@ really nasty stuff

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.