Pond Turtles for Sale?!?

Pond Turtles for Sale?!?

So I was searching through the internet for pet turtles. It's like my way of window shopping. I ended up clicking this link directing to an ad selling Pond Turtles for 2k+++.

I was like WTF!!! Those turtles live in grasslands and farmlands, where they grow rice. I used to take care of 3 pond turtles... and they were all given to me for 25 pesos. That's like 1 percent of this ad's selling price. We actually got them for free, but my mom wanted to give the person some cash so he could buy something to eat-- and for his effort, of course.

Seriously... I am quite baffled!

People are so greedy. Honestly, I rather see the pond turtles stay in their natural environment, in the pond. Unless of course they are not healthy and in need of care from a person for rehabilitation.

By pond turtles, do you mean the local Malaysian box turtles or the Chinese softshell? Since we have both classified under pond turtles. For some weird reason, no petshop is selling local turtles anymore so what you saw is probably just a hoarder @_@

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    People are so greedy. Honestly, I rather see the pond turtles stay in their natural environment, in the pond. Unless of course they are not healthy and in need of care from a person for rehabilitation.
    Agreed. We had a big pond beside a rice field back when I was kid. I took care of fishes that weren't living in aquariums. Every morning, I'd go to that pond and see the family of sword tails and double tails my brother released in it. I also had turtles swimming there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tongue Flicker View Post
    By pond turtles, do you mean the local Malaysian box turtles or the Chinese softshell? Since we have both classified under pond turtles. For some weird reason, no petshop is selling local turtles anymore so what you saw is probably just a hoarder @_@
    I'm not sure if they look like Malaysia box turtles. They kind of look like this.

Source

or this one...

Source

Maybe not a hoarder but someone who thought they could make a quick back for capturing these turtles, taking a picture of them and putting them on online ads. Is that considered as hoarding?

Oh definitely a Malaysian box turtle. One in the foreground is big one!

Oh definitely a Malaysian box turtle. One in the foreground is big one!
    Does this mean they originated from Malaysia? Their not from the Philippines? We have those in rice fields. Is it possible that somebody decided to introduce them into the environment?

They're actually like snails-- with lesser numbers.

Well they are considered a native specie so i guess their geographic distribution overlaps into more than just the two countries. They are also present in Thailand and the Indochina region. They are absent in Palawan though for some reason

Well they are considered a native specie so i guess their geographic distribution overlaps into more than just the two countries. They are also present in Thailand and the Indochina region. They are absent in Palawan though for some reason
    Palawan is a thin strip of land. I'm not surprised if there aren't too many rice fields in there. The area is mountainous and there are so many trees you'd think it's still a big forest with a road inside. I think the absence of large bodies of fresh water has something to do with it.

They do have pretty Palawan leaf turtles there though. Tons of those are smuggled into hongkong every year

They do have pretty Palawan leaf turtles there though. Tons of those are smuggled into hongkong every year
    That sucks! I hate it when it has something to do with turtles. They're just too innocent-- cruelty isn't an option.

For what purpose? Cooking or exotic pets?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.