Found a turtle, please help me

Found a turtle, please help me

Today while mowing my back yard I found what I believe to be a "painted turtle". Greenish shell with yellow, the head and legs and tail are green striped with a bit of red on the sides of it's head. It is 5 to 6 inches long. Questions: what is an aquatic turtle doing in the tall grass of my back yard? Also, it has a lump of brown material protruding from under it's tail, I think this is to large to be feces, and it has been hanging on for a couple of hours. Is it sick?. I put it in water in a low container and it has moved back out into the grass.

Does anyone have some ideas that will help be take care of the beast? I would like to keep it healthy and happy if possible.

Probably looking for a place to bask. A picture would definitely help us identify it better

Quote Originally Posted by doubleb View Post
    bit of red on the sides of it's head.
    Red eared slider

Quote Originally Posted by doubleb View Post
    Questions: what is an aquatic turtle doing in the tall grass of my back yard? Also, it has a lump of brown material protruding from under it's tail, I think this is to large to be feces, and it has been hanging on for a couple of hours. Is it sick?. I put it in water in a low container and it has moved back out into the grass.

Does anyone have some ideas that will help be take care of the beast? I would like to keep it healthy and happy if possible.
    Don't know why it was in your yard. Could be a gravid female looking for a place to lay or a bird dropped it. Can we get pics of the brown material? It is likely feces. Sometimes it clumps up depending on what they eat this especially happens if the turtle was eating some grass.

A painted turtle is easy to recognize by looking at the underside of the shell, which is colorful, and appears to be painted. usually, the top of the shell will bee a dark brown, almost black color.
    This is the time of year when turtles are active, and looking for a place to lay eggs. Your turtle might have ben picked up by someone when it was crossing the road to get to a lake or pond on the other side; and then it escaped from wherever theey were keeping it, and is now once again trying to get to water and lay her eggs.
    The best thing you can do is take the turtle to whatever lake or pond is closest to you, since there is a good chance that this is where she came from in the first place, before she somehow got sidetracked. Once she is near water, she can then resume her search for a place to lay eggs, or just a place to live and eat tadpoles; what ever the turtle was trying to do before she ended up in your yard.
    If having a soul means being able to feel love and loyalty and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans. James Herriot

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.