Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ever Knocked Down or Injured by a Dog?

Question Ever Knocked Down or Injured by a Dog?

Years ago when I went to the dog park, especially on weekends, it was crowded with people and dogs. Many times the dogs only visited there on the weekends, so they were super excited and energetic.

Well, there are huge open fields there for the dogs to run, although they sometimes ran across the roads and trails that people walked on. I enjoyed watching them play, and never thought twice about it.

Now, years later, I'm older and I've seen a lot of people get knocked down by the larger dogs at the park. A woman I know was knocked to the ground by her black Lab, and broke her hip, she was using a walker for awhile, and now can't do without her cane.

One lady was on a park bench one wintery day with her leg up. When I asked is she was okay, she said her dog hit into her knee, and she was waiting for help. I stayed with her until help arrived. She needed surgery to repair an ACL injury, her dog was a Lab mix.

I've seen several people get bowled over by excited dogs from a distance. My husband was there alone one day, and said a dog came out of nowhere behind him, ran into the back of his knees, and knocked him down on his back...luckily he didn't hit his head on a rock or anything, and was just a bit sore for awhile.

Now, I avoid areas with lots of dogs and people, and I cringe when a large dog runs near me. I've been banged into by dogs there, but never knocked down...yet. I don't want any knee or hip injuries, and it's something I've become increasingly aware of at the park.

Have you ever been knocked down or injured by a dog?

Some bigger dogs can get so excited! and I can definitely see how folks could get knocked over by them. I met one dog that loved to jump up on me, and would have knocked me over, had her owners not intervened. I would certainly be nervous in a dog park situation, where the owners aren't necessarily with the dogs all the time.

I haven't been knocked down yet, but almost a couple of times, by our dogs chasing each other around the yard, but I have been pulled over in mud by our Shepherd when I took her out to the yard on the lead to go do poos when it was wet, she spotted a bird and took off leaving me face down and winded when I fell it took a while for me to get up as I found it hard to get my breath, thankfully nothing was broken.

Quote Originally Posted by skarlett88 View Post
    I met one dog that loved to jump up on me, and would have knocked me over, had her owners not intervened. I would certainly be nervous in a dog park situation, where the owners aren't necessarily with the dogs all the time.
    One wintery day in the park, hardly anyone was there due to the weather. I was walking with Hans, and my 'angel girl' Sigi. There were two women a short distance away with a yellow Lab with red collar.

This dog looked at me from far away, and started running toward me, full speed. The women were screaming at the dog. When he got to me, he literally jumped at me with his full body weight and speed. Luckily I saw him, and braced myself before he hit, with my arms crossed in front of me in a protective position. Hans was barking and growling. The dog ran away quickly back to the area of the women.

He looked at me again, and sure enough, he started running toward me once again, the women were hollering at him. By this time my adrenaline was high, and I was stressed...couldn't even believe it, this big male Lab was possessed!

As he became closer, I again braced and took a defensive stance, he pounced on me with full force. Hans, was protective and being dominant, he started to jump on this dog (who was not neutered ), and hump him. Sooo...I pretty much had the weight and intensity of both of them on me.

The women were still screaming, and working their way toward us. The dog returned to them once again, only to run back to me one more time. My jacket and jeans were full of mud from this dog, and I was not a happy camper.

After going through this insane "attack" one more time, the woman put his leash on and repeatedly said she was so sorry, asking me if I was alright. I told her that until she had him under control, she needed to leash him, before he seriously hurt someone.

I had to laugh about the incident afterward, when I told my husband. If someone recorded it on video, I'm sure it would've gone viral, LOL. Worst dog park experience for me, and hopefully will never be repeated. Luckily, I've never seen that dog or those women again.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat View Post
    ... but I have been pulled over in mud by our Shepherd when I took her out to the yard on the lead to go do poos when it was wet, she spotted a bird and took off leaving me face down and winded when I fell it took a while for me to get up as I found it hard to get my breath, thankfully nothing was broken.
    I'm glad you weren't hurt wombat, a German Shepherd is a powerful dog!

One day my Hans went out to fetch the morning newspaper from our driveway. It wasn't fully in the bag, and the sections were thrown about the pavement...so I had to go out there and pick them up.

Well, Hans was young and excited, and while I stooped down to pick up the pieces of newspaper, he playfully jumped under me and hit the bottom of my chin with his (hard) head. This made me bite my lip, and it swelled and turned blue.

I laughed with hubby afterward, because I had to go to work with the swollen lip. We joked about how my coworkers would think I got too "lippy" and was put in my place.

I haven't being knocked over my a dog, but my friend has.. a large dog sneak attacked on her and she fallen on the grass. Nothing serious came out of that, but I tend to be more cautious around dogs, especially larger/more jumpy ones.

Funny thing last Wednesday I was trying to get our Lab out of the way of a small falling branch in our back yard,went to grab his collar missed and fell backwards fracturing my left wrist, and hurting my coxic bone, so now I have my arm in plaster for 5 weeks. at least Oscar the Lab is ok.

I actually had a incident when i had a dog attack me (Pitbull Terrier) when i was walking home - A Owner couldn't handle the pitbull and it just erupted and started coming at me - Just as it jumped - I let it bite into my Jacket (Bomber)
    It was amazingly dangerous situation.

I haven't been knocked down or injured but I've had a close call or two. I walked my aunt's dog for her when she had knee surgery, and their neighbors have a bunch of dogs that they don't seem to care for well, don't keep on leashes, and who seem to escape their yard a lot. One of them decided he didn't like me, for some reason. I was walking my aunt's dog and I see this dog making a beeline for us from across the street, no leash, ears back, and completely silent (the fact that it DIDN'T bark was what worried me). It looked extremely hostile. It completely ignored my aunt's dog and lunged at me.

My aunt's dog is extremely gentle - he's a yellow lab and collie mix, I've never known a dog as laid back as he is, and up until this point I would have doubted his ability to threaten a fly. He's also very obedient. When other dogs barked at him he generally doesn't bark back and for the most part he just brushes off other dogs who are acting like jerks. This is the only time I ever saw him get remotely aggressive and I've never heard a dog snarl like that before. He sounded possessed. The other dog pretty much stopped mid-lunge and reconsidered the situation, then backed away. I gave my aunt's dog the command to Back Off, so he stopped pursuing the other dog. And of course, AFTER this is when the owner runs up and gets his stupid dog. We saw the dog a few other times but it always backed off when it saw my aunt's dog.

ugh yes not recently but I have an older memory of dogsitting for a neighbor and it would get out of hand everyday I had to end up getting my parents to help out because it would just knock me over and get too rough although its intentions were not bad i was just too little

lol not me, but my mom, when my pittie was about 15mo old we were on a walk &, like most pitties, he had IMMENSE amounts of energy when he was younger (he's 6yo now & pretty mellow w/just 1 hr-long walk a day), he was playing w/my other dog-a golden retriever mix & came BOMBING over the hill in complete joy & couldn't turn in time, just his shoulder caught my mom in the calf, she fell down (to which he promptly apologized, showering her in apologetic kisses) & the result was a fist-sized, black/blue/purple/yellow (a color I'd never seen before) lump that lasted like 3mo. It wasn't funny then but even she can laugh now. Some large, esp young dogs just dont understand how big they are..or, in the case of my boy..just made a miscalculation.

Nothing big
    but my dog pulls quite badly
    and i was walking him in wales since we were on hols and he yaanked me forward and (the ridge that goes around grass to stop growing on grass he jumped over it and i was tripped over it and cut my knee i was crying my eyes out and my dog came licking me in the face and i had to wait for ages till i could find a plaster
    x ouch
    and i always fall over my dog in the house i think hes doing it on purpose alks staright in fort of you so you trip
    lolxx

I've never been knocked down by a dog. The worst that happened to me is I got nipped at by a little curly-haired, tiny dog (maybe it was a Poodle but not sure it was a long time ago).

this past Monday two large dogs ran into me from behind at the dog park. I fell so hard on the pavement that I broke my ankle and cut my arm and hand. I had to be carried out to my car by my husband and a very nice bystander. It happened so fast that I didn't see which dogs they were, and it felt like a car hit me. I will be in a cast for 8 weeks.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.